Top 5 albums of the 21st century

Lateralus - Tool
10,000 Days - Tool
Fear Inoculum - Tool
Crack the Skye - Mastodon
Ashes of the Wake - Lamb of God
Tool fell just short of getting booed off stage at Welcome to Rockville in Daytona a couple weekends ago. I like Tool; it was on my bucket list to see them live and it very surprisingly didn't go well at all - mostly from their own doing.

The first problem for them is they followed Deftones who absolutely slayed and the crowd was amped for some heavy rocking. Tool's set started with Fear Inoculum then Forty Six & 2 - a decent start - but every song after that until they finished with Stinkfist were their long rather mellow instrumental songs like The Grudge and Pneuma. The crowd simply wasn't into long instrumental after long instrumental and they started to file out of the gates. 2/3 through their set the trickle of people turned into a mass exodus. Twice Maynard chastised the crowd for not being engaged, but not once did he try to pump up the crowd or engage in any positive influence. Pretty much all they did was present their musical art. When Tool finished Stinkfist, they simply walked off stage with no interaction with the remaining crowd - about 20 minutes earlier than scheduled.

Had they inserted a couple powerful rock songs like Aenema and Sober between their long instrumental songs in the middle of their set, the crowd would've been more engaged. Had Maynard positively engaged the crowd, the crowd would've been more engaged. Had they presented their show with visuals grander than Windows Screensaver-esque art, the crowd would've been more engaged. Had they followed a different band or played earlier in the day, the crowd would've been more engaged (Tool was the last band of the 4-day festival).

Of all eight headliners and sub-headliners of the festival (Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Avenged Sevenfold, Evanescence, Pantera, Godsmack, Deftones, Tool) Tool by far put on the worst show of the festival. Disappointing.

I have a thing for girl fronted bands

Who You Selling For. - The Pretty Reckless
Check out the "Eternal Blue" album from Spiritbox (2021). I considered putting that album in my list; so I guess it gets an 'honorable mention' here. Courtney LaPlante has an impressive vocal toolbox.

Tool fell just short of getting booed off stage at Welcome to Rockville in Daytona a couple weekends ago. I like Tool; it was on my bucket list to see them live and it very surprisingly didn't go well at all - mostly from their own doing.

The first problem for them is they followed Deftones who absolutely slayed and the crowd was amped for some heavy rocking. Tool's set started with Fear Inoculum then Forty Six & 2 - a decent start - but every song after that until they finished with Stinkfist were their long rather mellow instrumental songs like The Grudge and Pneuma. The crowd simply wasn't into long instrumental after long instrumental and they started to file out of the gates. 2/3 through their set the trickle of people turned into a mass exodus. Twice Maynard chastised the crowd for not being engaged, but not once did he try to pump up the crowd or engage in any positive influence. Pretty much all they did was present their musical art. When Tool finished Stinkfist, they simply walked off stage with no interaction with the remaining crowd - about 20 minutes earlier than scheduled.

Had they inserted a couple powerful rock songs like Aenema and Sober between their long instrumental songs in the middle of their set, the crowd would've been more engaged. Had Maynard positively engaged the crowd, the crowd would've been more engaged. Had they presented their show with visuals grander than Windows Screensaver-esque art, the crowd would've been more engaged. Had they followed a different band or played earlier in the day, the crowd would've been more engaged (Tool was the last band of the 4-day festival).

Of all eight headliners and sub-headliners of the festival (Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Avenged Sevenfold, Evanescence, Pantera, Godsmack, Deftones, Tool) Tool by far put on the worst show of the festival. Disappointing.

Every time I've seen Tool, they have absolutely slayed.

Every time I've seen Tool, they have absolutely slayed.
Which is what I expected to see. It was a weird. Hardcore Tool fans around me were sitting down in the grass in the middle of their set - bored.

Which is what I expected to see. It was a weird. Hardcore Tool fans around me were sitting down in the grass in the middle of their set - bored.

Bummer.

I like Tool, they’re a good band, but I rarely listen to them because Tool fans tend to be weirdos that make my skin crawl

Admittedly, some of them can be over the top obnoxious. Tool is one of my all time favorite bands, but I try my best to not be one of those guys.

Admittedly, some of them can be over the top obnoxious. Tool is one of my all time favorite bands, but I try my best to not be one of those guys.
Some remind me of Beatles fans that try to convince me that the song that just says “Number 9” over and over is brilliant and I’m dumb for not seeing the artistic genius

Some remind me of Beatles fans that try to convince me that the song that just says “Number 9” over and over is brilliant and I’m dumb for not seeing the artistic genius

My perspective/mentality: Tool are elite musical artists. With all elite artists, not everything they create is a masterpiece but nearly everything they create is at least worth appreciating. Typically, when I listen to music, the underlying purpose is to generate energy. Only a handful of Tool songs have that effect on me.

I will have to say, I have found that listening to the opening part of “Band on the Run” on shrooms is pretty cool. The only compliment I’ll give a non George Harrison Beatle

My favorite Beatles songs are Harrison songs.
The only Beatles songs I can tolerate are Harrison songs. Never been a fan.

Not sure if you ever watched Pulp Fiction deleted scenes, but one of them was Mia interviewing Vincent at her house before going to Jack Rabbit Slims and in that scene she states people are either Beatles fans or Elvis fans and polls Vincent on which one he is. (That's why she says "an Elvis man should love it" as they pull up to the restaurant). Me, I've always strongly disliked both; but if I was forced to choose one I would choose Beatles only because of Harrison.

The only Beatles songs I can tolerate are Harrison songs. Never been a fan.

Not sure if you ever watched Pulp Fiction deleted scenes, but one of them was Mia interviewing Vincent at her house before going to Jack Rabbit Slims and in that scene she states people are either Beatles fans or Elvis fans and polls Vincent on which one he is. (That's why she says "an Elvis man should love it" as they pull up to the restaurant). Me, I've always strongly disliked both; but if I was forced to choose one I would choose Beatles only because of Harrison.
Funny enough. Whenever I have to conduct interviews, one of my last questions is "Beatles or Stones?" You can usually tell about people by what they answer.