Twelve Kitchen Cabinets

Need a leftover piece ov counter top for the hearth
I just noticed how those cabinets come out past the front of the fireplace. Pretty sure in my area that would be against code as a fire hazard because they are so close. You’re the expert so is that a real problem?

Depends on the area and the fireplace. Prefab, gas log only fireplaces only need 6 inches from the top or sides, and 16 at the edge of the hearth, from potential combustible materials. There aren't any restrictions beyond that here, for residential structures. Newer ones have almost zero restrictions, but are purely decorative with electric heat blowers.

I just noticed how those cabinets come out past the front of the fireplace. Pretty sure in my area that would be against code as a fire hazard because they are so close. You’re the expert so is that a real problem?
Ya know, I never even considered it. Good catch though, I like the way you think, all safety conscious and whatnot. Better safe than sorry and do it right the first time, all that kinda good stuff! Whomever whatsoever, them cabs are a whole (BIG) foot away from the fireplace opening. Boy oh boy though, would that ever be a kick in the crapper if a county inspector person told me they must be moved...

But hey Chief, aren't you having an entire new house in the process of being built? If so that's damned exciting and if so again, why no thread for it???

It's going to blister the shit out of the paint on the sides adjacent to FP. Definitely would not pass code.

Ya know, I never even considered it. Good catch though, I like the way you think, all safety conscious and whatnot. Better safe than sorry and do it right the first time, all that kinda good stuff! Whomever whatsoever, them cabs are a whole (BIG) foot away from the fireplace opening. Boy oh boy though, would that ever be a kick in the crapper if a county inspector person told me they must be moved...

I asked the following question several pages back and was going to comment later on these being so close to the FP opening but I forgot about it and never got back to it.

I have cabinets on each side of my FP too....but the FP sticks out past the cabinets.
Were these cabinets adjacent to the fireplace originally there or was that added in this remodel?

View attachment 35648
1635592572179.png

Need a leftover piece ov counter top for the hearth
The problem with that would be that it would have to go on top of that existing slab of stone. If I woulda had better foresight on the living room makeover I would have removed that mantle first, and then remove all that peach colored stone, install new stone, put mantle back on and THEN put the cabinets in.

So I think we will coat it with something, maybe some kind of epoxy paint? And BTW Pete, those counters on the living room cabinets are just made out of plywood. I ain't got the coin handy for no more quartz counters!

It's going to blister the shit out of the paint on the sides adjacent to FP. Definitely would not pass code.

I asked the following question several pages back and was going to comment later on these being so close to the FP opening but I forgot about it and never got back to it.

I have cabinets on each side of my FP too....but the FP sticks out past the cabinets.

View attachment 47006
Oh man, I swear I thought I answered that! Sorry about that, but I built those cabinets in late June or early July.

As far as blistering the paint, we have lived here since 2006 and have not ever turned that idiot gas fire on and I doubt we ever will. However, code doesn't care one bit if it's used or not, code is code and should always be followed to avoid all kinds of trouble, not just legal stuff.

The problem with that would be that it would have to go on top of that existing slab of stone. If I woulda had better foresight on the living room makeover I would have removed that mantle first, and then remove all that peach colored stone, install new stone, put mantle back on and THEN put the cabinets in.

So I think we will coat it with something, maybe some kind of epoxy paint? And BTW Pete, those counters on the living room cabinets are just made out of plywood. I ain't got the coin handy for no more quartz counters!
oh, shit, I thought they were stone!

I might still try to find a piece of quartz, or something similar. You might be able to find a piece of stone that works. Also, hearths are raised all the time, so it wouldn't look bad at all to have a raised one.

That dipshit doesnt know nothing!

inefficient design! IMO
Just don’t use the fireplace then for safety reasons as it sounds like you don’t anyway.

Be prepared if you ever sell some asshole inspector like Peter is going to mark the shit out of that and you’ll probably have to give up some cash for he buyers to rework. Home inspectors are the devil.

But hey Chief, aren't you having an entire new house in the process of being built? If so that's damned exciting and if so again, why no thread for it???
We bought the house when it was 70% done and didn’t get in town until they were down to about 10% left. The only changes we made were to put engineered flooring throughout, some accent colors in the bathrooms and changed the front door and garage door colors. The interior designer working with the builder did a pretty good job so we didn’t screw with it.

I did add a flagstone patio in the back and a thread on that but it’s done.

Just don’t use the fireplace then for safety reasons as it sounds like you don’t anyway.

Be prepared if you ever sell some asshole inspector like Peter is going to mark the shit out of that and you’ll probably have to give up some cash for he buyers to rework. Home inspectors are the devil.
read my response above, gas bag

Yesterday I did a task that should have been done weeks ago. I FINALLY put the grout in the tile around fireplace.

Today I will make nice neat drawer dividers to clean this up. I will do the same to the silverware drawer too.
Messy Drawer.jpg

Anyway, this is just a loose fit trial and all the things that were there before are back in the drawer.

I will change it up a bit and add a couple more sections, that's for tomorrow. And then I will get it glued up and painted ready for service!
IMG_20211201_192126_01.jpg

Well well well now. I can finally call this thread 99.999% complete, how very exciting!

In the past few weeks we got the crown molding finished, we got the new fan hung and I got three glass shelves for that middle wall cabinet above the bar area with glass windows.

The old fan worked fine but the frilly, curly style of the old fan really clashed with the more simplistic Shaker style of all the cabinets.
The new fan is sleek with clean lines. YOU be the judge!

I also changed up that drawer divider and rubbed some white paint on it too, also very exciting!
Drawer divider, CHECK!.jpgCrown moulding complete, CHECK!.jpgNew fan, CHECK!.jpg
One minor thing left to do is re-paint the ceiling vents and put them back in place.

And so my fish tank project was a treat to myself for knocking this kitchen overhaul OUT OF THE PARK!

You gotta love yourself too, ya know it?
true romance smile GIF

So then this Twelve Cabinets thread morphed into +living room and now I'm adding the dining and front room too.

Over the weekend I painted the stone hearth white, I used a special 'bonding' primer that is supposed to work well on shiny surfaces. It worked quite well. The fingernail scratch test, this primer passed! And the top coat has been applied, it is finished!

Petey G deserves a big thank you for suggesting I use the same tile as the kitchen backsplash, it's such an obvious choice but I didn't think of it nor did anyone else. And it gets better. Pete also convinced me to buy an angle grinder and diamond blade and do the work myself.

So Pete saved me a nice chunk of change and learned me some new skills!Fireplace finally finished.jpg

So then this Twelve Cabinets thread morphed into +living room and now I'm adding the dining and front room too.

Over the weekend I painted the stone hearth white, I used a special 'bonding' primer that is supposed to work well on shiny surfaces. It worked quite well. The fingernail scratch test, this primer passed! And the top coat has been applied, it is finished!

Petey G deserves a big thank you for suggesting I use the same tile as the kitchen backsplash, it's such an obvious choice but I didn't think of it nor did anyone else. And it gets better. Pete also convinced me to buy an angle grinder and diamond blade and do the work myself.

So Pete saved me a nice chunk of change and learned me some new skills!View attachment 60177
I get so triggered when I see TV's above fireplaces