UNLV

Speculating on Kevin Kruger’s assistant coaches at UNLV​

march 26, 2021 by tyler bischoff, posted in unlv
UNLV has a head coach in Kevin Kruger, but the assistant spots have yet to be determined. DeMarlo Slocum and Tim Buckley are the two incumbents from T.J. Otzelberger’s staff, but there are some intriguing options outside the program.
The fun name to watch will be Lon Kruger. It seems doubtful that Kruger would take one of the three assistant spots, considering he just retired from Oklahoma.
But the question is what exactly does retirement mean? Did Kruger simply retire from being a head coach or retire from working at all? If it was simply a step down from being a head coach, Kruger could be used in a role like special assistant to the head coach.
Kevin Kruger told the Las Vegas Sun that there is a spot waiting for his father.
“He can be on staff if he wants. That would be great. I’m sure knowing him, he will be willing and able and hoping to help UNLV. Not just basketball, but UNLV in any possible way he can—in the community or coming to practice and helping or talking to coaches or whatever he can do. Because he does enjoy helping people.”
Lon Kruger’s retirement is exciting for UNLV. As a first-time head coach, Kevin Kruger will have an extremely experienced former coach to lean on, even if he isn’t officially hired by UNLV.
Another interesting name is Jack Murphy, currently the associate head coach at Arizona. Murphy was the head coach at Northern Arizona from 2012-2019 and was the first coach to hire Kevin Kruger as an assistant in 2014.
But luring Muphy away from Arizona will be difficult. For starters, he went to Arizona. And more importantly, he might have to take a pay cut to come to UNLV.
Murphy makes $335,000 at Arizona (and has a $25,000 buyout). UNLV’s three assistants all made between $175,000 and $200,000, according to Transparent Nevada.
Would Murphy leave his alma mater and take less money to work for his former assistant?
While it would be a short term view, Kruger will be wise to add assistant coaches that could help bring players. His father retiring from Oklahoma obviously opens the door to any players looking to leave Norman, Oklahoma.
Trey Phipps, who averaged 7.5 minutes in 16 games, is the only Sooner currently on the portal.
The only Wildcat in the portal, who could follow Murphy, is Ira Lee (10.4 minutes per game in 23 games).
However, there are four players in the transfer portal from Northern Arizona, Murphy’s last stop as a head coach. That includes point guard Cameron Shelton, who averaged 19.2 points and 4.2 assists per game last season.

@Mcnabb7542

Speculating on Kevin Kruger’s assistant coaches at UNLV​

march 26, 2021 by tyler bischoff, posted in unlv
UNLV has a head coach in Kevin Kruger, but the assistant spots have yet to be determined. DeMarlo Slocum and Tim Buckley are the two incumbents from T.J. Otzelberger’s staff, but there are some intriguing options outside the program.
The fun name to watch will be Lon Kruger. It seems doubtful that Kruger would take one of the three assistant spots, considering he just retired from Oklahoma.
But the question is what exactly does retirement mean? Did Kruger simply retire from being a head coach or retire from working at all? If it was simply a step down from being a head coach, Kruger could be used in a role like special assistant to the head coach.
Kevin Kruger told the Las Vegas Sun that there is a spot waiting for his father.
“He can be on staff if he wants. That would be great. I’m sure knowing him, he will be willing and able and hoping to help UNLV. Not just basketball, but UNLV in any possible way he can—in the community or coming to practice and helping or talking to coaches or whatever he can do. Because he does enjoy helping people.”
Lon Kruger’s retirement is exciting for UNLV. As a first-time head coach, Kevin Kruger will have an extremely experienced former coach to lean on, even if he isn’t officially hired by UNLV.
Another interesting name is Jack Murphy, currently the associate head coach at Arizona. Murphy was the head coach at Northern Arizona from 2012-2019 and was the first coach to hire Kevin Kruger as an assistant in 2014.
But luring Muphy away from Arizona will be difficult. For starters, he went to Arizona. And more importantly, he might have to take a pay cut to come to UNLV.
Murphy makes $335,000 at Arizona (and has a $25,000 buyout). UNLV’s three assistants all made between $175,000 and $200,000, according to Transparent Nevada.
Would Murphy leave his alma mater and take less money to work for his former assistant?
While it would be a short term view, Kruger will be wise to add assistant coaches that could help bring players. His father retiring from Oklahoma obviously opens the door to any players looking to leave Norman, Oklahoma.
Trey Phipps, who averaged 7.5 minutes in 16 games, is the only Sooner currently on the portal.
The only Wildcat in the portal, who could follow Murphy, is Ira Lee (10.4 minutes per game in 23 games).
However, there are four players in the transfer portal from Northern Arizona, Murphy’s last stop as a head coach. That includes point guard Cameron Shelton, who averaged 19.2 points and 4.2 assists per game last season.

@Mcnabb7542
I think Lon is done as a head coach. I think Kevin will benefit having dad back in town and someone to talk too.
Lets see who gets on staff and see what they pull out of the transfer portal

I'm following a bunch of folks on Twitter and sounds like the basketball team got some great work in this summer.
I hope they can recruit well and turn this thing around

Fucking team lost in double OT to a eastern Washington team, that missed 3 fg, and caught 2 deep passes, that were unintentional hail Mary's that should have been picked, into making it just close enough for UNLV to shit the bed, from the toilet.....

@HammerDown will you create this sad lonely person a Team Board so he has somewhere to go and cry about his shitty program in a less public forum?

It's gotten pathetic.

It's good to see them start out good.
Cal game ain't on the national tv schedule the Michigan game is so I will sit patiently and wait to see this progression
If I get a line on streams, I will post them here. The last game I was busy, but everyone was complaining about the stream being choppy.

I saw a bunch of clips of the game, and the local guys said they played a little sloppy, but their intensity is off the charts. Their defense should keep them in games. They only returned 2 guys from the last team, so there is going to be some sloppy play, but if they can play hard, and Kevin Kruger can be smart, they have a chance to make a little noise in the MWC.