What are you reading?

My favorite books when I was younger. Great plot and writing.
my cousin lent me the Great Book of Amber...I am going through it one book at a time.

1659956130985.png

my cousin lent me the Great Book of Amber...I am going through it one book at a time.

View attachment 80560
I read the prequels also, you may want to stay away from them. They aren't bad, just not written in Zelazny style and don't really do the rest of his works credit.

I haven't read his Amber short stories, though. Need to search for them some day.

reading book 3 of the Sandman Slim series, Aloha from Hell.

I just don't think I like this series as much as I liked the Iron Druid or Dresden Files but I like having an urban series like that in my pocket for when I just want something easy to read in a world I enjoy...and I am not sure I enjoy the Sandman Slim world.

reading book 3 of the Sandman Slim series, Aloha from Hell.

I just don't think I like this series as much as I liked the Iron Druid or Dresden Files but I like having an urban series like that in my pocket for when I just want something easy to read in a world I enjoy...and I am not sure I enjoy the Sandman Slim world.
I prefer slim to Dresden. Not as cutsie.

Reading the third book from Attica Locke, Bluebird, Bluebird. This one’s about a black Texas Ranger.

She is really good. A black lady writing about black life in Texas. Fucked up place.

I prefer slim to Dresden. Not as cutsie.
interesting...

I agree, Dresden is more PG-13 and Sandman Slim is more R.

I just don't think I like the magic system and the universe in Sandman Slim as much.

interesting...

I agree, Dresden is more PG-13 and Sandman Slim is more R.

I just don't think I like the magic system and the universe in Sandman Slim as much.

It's about as wild as can be. I like both story lines. I love the way God is portrayed in Sandman Slim. Conflicted and fucked up.

Reactions: ill
It's about as wild as can be. I like both story lines. I love the way God is portrayed in Sandman Slim. Conflicted and fucked up.
I don't think I have met God yet...I am only on book 3

Just starting Born Fighting:How the Scots-Irish Shaped America by James Webb. It was recommended by a high school teacher friend of mine.

currently listening toGeek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's weird and I kind of like it.

Also reading Senlin Ascends, which has been on my to read shelf for a while not. Interesting premise on this one and I am enjoying it...just haven't had a ton of time to read lately

Lars Kepler, a Swedish husband wife team. Compelling creepy cop fiction. Starts with The Hypnotist and goes from there. Currently reading Lazarus which is as the name implies about someone who should be dead.

Great stuff.

Also reading Tony Hillerman. He’s finally getting a TV series called Dark Wind from his books. Leaphorn and Chee, great characters, very good books.

I've been reading Daniel Silva's in order (they are okay at best), and Louise Penny (also not bad, but the main character is fantastic).

Would love some recommendations on some reading materials, could use another thriller, political or otherwise. I have read all of Steve Berry, and I really enjoyed them.

Also need to get more into non-fiction so I'm actually learning something useful at times when my nose is stuck in a book. I read a lot of technical books for work so lately I've been avoiding history and other novels, but if anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Been thinking about reading Salt, or another one of those type of books where you just learn a lot about a particular topic.

As Hammer may or may not attest to, I have read 20 books by the husband/wife Gear combo All about North American indigenous history. And your avatar should be more in synchronization with your name.

Recently finished audiobook 10, man this thing dragged and droned on and on, I needed a break. The first 6 or so books are masterful, but these last two are considered part of "the slog" and are excruciatingly dull.

I'm hoping the next one picks up a bit better.

I'm now on 7...nervous for them to get slow. The Dune books did that for me and I had to put them aside.

My older neighbor up the street let me borrow "A Soldiers Story" by General Omar N. Bradley..... About 50 pages in, so far so good. I love WW II stories!!!

currently listening toGeek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's weird and I kind of like it.

Also reading Senlin Ascends, which has been on my to read shelf for a while not. Interesting premise on this one and I am enjoying it...just haven't had a ton of time to read lately
Geek Love was interesting...dark and about a family of freaks in a sideshow of a circus.

Senlin has been good so far but is getting more interesting. I recommend.

I'm now on 7...nervous for them to get slow. The Dune books did that for me and I had to put them aside.
I bought audiobook 11 a few weeks ago ans man, it was like night to day. The entire intro chapter that was about an hour long had so much happening it was like the last 3 books all condensed in 100 pages.

Super writing at the front of the book picked the pace back up where book 6 left off. My gawd, books 7-10could have all been condensed into 1 book and this series would stand a bit better.

That said, just push through to book 11 if you can stand it. The wait is worth it.