What are you reading?

I bought audiobook 11 a few weeks ago ans man, it was like night to day. The entire intro chapter that was about an hour long had so much happening it was like the last 3 books all condensed in 100 pages.

Super writing at the front of the book picked the pace back up where book 6 left off. My gawd, books 7-10could have all been condensed into 1 book and this series would stand a bit better.

That said, just push through to book 11 if you can stand it. The wait is worth it.
aren't they like 35 hr audiobooks?

yeesh

I bought audiobook 11 a few weeks ago ans man, it was like night to day. The entire intro chapter that was about an hour long had so much happening it was like the last 3 books all condensed in 100 pages.

Super writing at the front of the book picked the pace back up where book 6 left off. My gawd, books 7-10could have all been condensed into 1 book and this series would stand a bit better.

That said, just push through to book 11 if you can stand it. The wait is worth it.

So far I haven't been having that much trouble with 7. I'm about halfway through. I was told to read the prequel (New Spring) after reading 10 as well. Not sure if you have any info on that

aren't they like 35 hr audiobooks?

yeesh

Well book 6 was over 1000 pages and it is pretty fine print as well. Author is definitely long winded.

That said, I definitely need to get more into audio books. I drive a lot for work and they would do wonders to making my drive a little less boring.

Well book 6 was over 1000 pages and it is pretty fine print as well. Author is definitely long winded.

That said, I definitely need to get more into audio books. I drive a lot for work and they would do wonders to making my drive a little less boring.
I limit my audiobooks to 13 hrs...I can't do one of those long ass ones.

I will read one of those books though

decided to read Pet Sematary next...I haven't read any of King's classics and that one gets a lot of love for being one of his scariest.

I highly recommend these guys, husband wife team from Sweden.

No sci fi, no fantasy, just gritty creepiness. Fantastic, addictive reads. start with The Hypnotist and go from there.

I am officially almost out of the Michael and Kathleen Gear North American indigenous books.

The one I'm reading and 2 more.

What a great ride. I've manged to read them in order too.

I officially thank Hammer for telling me about them.

Just got into The Reckoning by John Grisham. Awesome AF

Reading The Intellectuals by Paul Johnson. Just starting the 3rd essay. It basically points out the hypocritical behavior of historical thinkers.

reading Pet Semetary by Stephen King

it's weird reading a book written decades ago to take place in the present like this compared to a book written now that takes place in the 1980s...

Just got into The Reckoning by John Grisham. Awesome AF

I read a lot of Grishams last year. I'd run out of authors and went to him because the library or course had them all.

I was starting to run out of gas with him but The Reckoning was great.

I read a lot of Grishams last year. I'd run out of authors and went to him because the library or course had them all.

I was starting to run out of gas with him but The Reckoning was great.
I finished it over this past weekend. I have never read him before but would certainly be open to more of his works provided they are historical fiction.

Have you ever read the Clive Cussler books?

I finished it over this past weekend. I have never read him before but would certainly be open to more of his works provided they are historical fiction.

Have you ever read the Clive Cussler books?

No I have not but will give him a look. I've become a reading fiend and prefer fiction of most any kind.

No I have not but will give him a look. I've become a reading fiend and prefer fiction of most any kind.
same, but I have rigid prefs. I prefer historical fiction but I don't like anything post WWII or before colonial periods. There have been a few exceptions such as The Reckoning. I also enjoyed Brad Meltzer's The Inner Circle series which was set in modern times but had historical flashbacks.

same, but I have rigid prefs. I prefer historical fiction but I don't like anything post WWII or before colonial periods. There have been a few exceptions such as The Reckoning. I also enjoyed Brad Meltzer's The Inner Circle series which was set in modern times but had historical flashbacks.

Hammer put me onto a huge series that Tells the story of North American indigenous people. Around 25 books none less than 600 pages. Meaty.

And there’s always Wilbur Smith to get the historical spin on South Africa and Africa in general.

So @HammerDown , while you've just been stirring up silly shit for post counts, I've been reading.

Done with the Gears. Never a dull moment. Too bad they only had 34 of them.

In wait mode for the library although I just finished a Tony Hillerman (GREAT STUFF if you have not read them).

So I've fallen back to When The Lion Feeds. I have all the Courtneys so i figured I might as well re-read from where it all began. Sean and Garrick. So fucking great. Written in 1964. I can read Wilbur at my leisure when the library requires a wait.

So @HammerDown , while you've just been stirring up silly shit for post counts, I've been reading.

Done with the Gears. Never a dull moment. Too bad they only had 34 of them.

In wait mode for the library although I just finished a Tony Hillerman (GREAT STUFF if you have not read them).

So I've fallen back to When The Lion Feeds. I have all the Courtneys so i figured I might as well re-read from where it all began. Sean and Garrick. So fucking great. Written in 1964. I can read Wilbur at my leisure when the library requires a wait.
Happy to hear that about the Gears.

I'm ready to read the Courteney books again. I was sorry to hear about Wilbur Smith's death but hopefully that hastens the end of the dogshit books they've been releasing under his name for the last ten years.

I'm reading Lee's Jackson's After Dunkirk series (very decent) right now at night and Winston's War during the day.

I'm seriously considering trying to tackle War and Peace soon or Montefiore's biography of Catherine the Great and Potemkin.

I checked out my local regional library and they have Meltzer for the most part so I snagged Inner Circle to start. If they don't have it they can get it so looking good.

I will let you know. The Missus reads most everything I do

Happy to hear that about the Gears.

I'm ready to read the Courteney books again. I was sorry to hear about Wilbur Smith's death but hopefully that hastens the end of the dogshit books they've been releasing under his name for the last ten years.

I'm reading Lee's Jackson's After Dunkirk series (very decent) right now at night and Winston's War during the day.

I'm seriously considering trying to tackle War and Peace soon or Montefiore's biography of Catherine the Great and Potemkin.

I read W&P once, barely. Pedantic tome at the time.

2 books by one author I think are great are The Sotweed Factor and Giles Goat Boy, both by John Barth. I've read each twice, the 1st time in the early 80s and again in early 2000. Both made me laugh one hell of a lot and had a certain amount of shit to say.

I read W&P once, barely. Pedantic tome at the time.
Once I start, I won't be able to quit so I'm hopeful I don't get into the first half and get lost in all of the characters. I'm going to try to be prepared for it. I have a very nice hardback from the 1940's which will add to the enjoyment hopefully.

I'll check out the Barth books now.

Back