What was the difference?

The Sagarin overall team rankings get used quite a bit on here (I know @ericd7633 is a fan), and according to his metrics, 2023 michigan is the 16th best team of the playoff era. Washington was the 2nd worst team to make a championship game, with TCU being the only one rated lower. Basically everything I said is echoed by his rankings, this year was overall a down year for the CFP.

Yeah, if I was guessing off the top of my head I would have guessed they weren't top 10. 16th seems about right. Basically slightly above avg when factoring in the 40 CFP teams that have made it. UW, Texas and Bama when compared to other CFP fields was a relatively weak one. Hell just in the 2019 season alone there were 7 teams better than those 3 according to Sagarin.

I can't seem to find the full list -- but "making the final" is a low bar here. There's been 40 teams in the playoff, 2023 Washington was probably in the top 20 of that. I'd like to see the full list. Because the only way to actually know this is if you took the average ranking of all four teams, every year of the playoff, and then compared that average rank. Saying that because one team got into the playoff who's the lowest rank (TCU) doesn't factor in the other 3 teams to proclaim "this was overall a down year for the CFP". Just because a year had a lower ranked team, doesn't mean squat about the other 3 teams.
2023 Washington was nowhere close to being in the top 20. In fact, neither were 2023 Bama or 2023 Texas. 2023 Washington would be ranked 34th overall out of 40 teams, and Texas and Bama would be somewhere in the 26-30 range. Like I said, it just wasn't a strong year.

Yeah, if I was guessing off the top of my head I would have guessed they weren't top 10. 16th seems about right. Basically slightly above avg when factoring in the 40 CFP teams that have made it. UW, Texas and Bama when compared to other CFP fields was a relatively weak one. Hell just in the 2019 season alone there were 7 teams better than those 3 according to Sagarin.
There were several years where none of 2023 Bama/Texas/Washington would've been in the top 4 at all. 2019 and 2017 had seven teams rated higher than all 3 of them, and 2016 and 2014 had six teams rated higher than all of them. There were weaker teams to make the CFP, but those were in years where the top 2 were usually extremely highly rated.

This year's CFP was a tough fought three games with four teams who historically just don't come close to matching up to the elites of CFP years past.

I can't seem to find the full list -- but "making the final" is a low bar here. There's been 40 teams in the playoff, 2023 Washington was probably in the top 20 of that. I'd like to see the full list. Because the only way to actually know this is if you took the average ranking of all four teams, every year of the playoff, and then compared that average rank. Saying that because one team got into the playoff who's the lowest rank (TCU) doesn't factor in the other 3 teams to proclaim "this was overall a down year for the CFP". Just because a year had a lower ranked team, doesn't mean squat about the other 3 teams.
I can't point to a bunch of lists, but it sure seemed to me that CFP was down. I know in the SEC we had some of the weakest QBs we have had in a while. When I say "down," I mean that there just wasn't that one team that you said was way better than everyone else. We've seen that in the past, but not this year.

I don't care where UW was on that list, that UW v. Texas game was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. As was the Bama UM game. The NC, not so much. But the two semis were a lot of fun.

I've been saying for years here, against my best interest, that parity in CFB would be good for the sport, and that portal, NIL, and the CFP-12 might get us there. We will see over the next several years.

2023 Washington was nowhere close to being in the top 20. In fact, neither were 2023 Bama or 2023 Texas. 2023 Washington would be ranked 34th overall out of 40 teams, and Texas and Bama would be somewhere in the 26-30 range. Like I said, it just wasn't a strong year.
This leads credence to the feeling that CFB was down across the board. With UM having an O not even ranked in the top 50 that tells you something. We've just not had that in the past few years.

As for UGA, we were one of the best teams at the end of the year and like I said we would have been the worst match-up for you because we had good D and O (5th on O, 9th on D - the only team to be in the top 10 in both). We could have stopped your pedestrian O, and likely scored more points even against your good D. Your statement that if we were playing like the best we would have been in the CFP-4 ignores the reality of the CFP-4 ... we didn't get in because we weren't one of the best 4, we didn't get in because the way the CFP-4 is set up teams can get left out.IIt happens but won't in the future.
You keep talking about how good Georgia's offense was -- now name how many defenses they faced who were ranked in the top 10, the top 20, the top 30? Don't waste your time listing FSU, as they didn't play any starters in the game.

And you didn't get in because you weren't one of the 4 best. In your head you were, on the field you weren't. Bama absolutely controlled the entire game against Georgia. At no point in the 2nd half could Georgia ever even take the lead, but fans like you want to just say, we only lost by 3. You lost because Bama was the better team.

Just say thank you to Michigan for doing what Georgia couldn't do and move along.

This leads credence to the feeling that CFB was down across the board. With UM having an O not even ranked in the top 50 that tells you something. We've just not had that in the past few years.
There just weren't any truly complete teams it felt like. Teams with really good defenses either had mediocre or below average offenses, while teams with explosive offenses had horrendous defenses. Then you had teams like Texas who were fairly solid on both sides but could play really sloppy, uninspired football.

You keep talking about how good Georgia's offense was -- now name how many defenses they faced who were ranked in the top 10, the top 20, the top 30? Don't waste your time listing FSU, as they didn't play any starters in the game.

And you didn't get in because you weren't one of the 4 best. In your head you were, on the field you weren't. Bama absolutely controlled the entire game against Georgia. At no point in the 2nd half could Georgia ever even take the lead, but fans like you want to just say, we only lost by 3. You lost because Bama was the better team.

Just say thank you to Michigan for doing what Georgia couldn't do and move along.
You keep answering posts that aren't being made, stating facts that aren't relevant to my post.

I made my case above and nothing you stated changed that. Move along, chief.

Washington ranked 34th out of the 40 CFP teams. The only teams rated lower were:

2014 FSU
2015 MSU
2018 ND
2020 ND
2021 Cincinnati
2022 TCU

As far as averaging them out, the only years that were worse were 2015 and 2021(93.1 to 93.0).

As far as Alabama and Texas. They were rated #29 and #30 respectively. Taking into account teams that didn't make the CFP, my guess is that none of UW, Texas or Bama were a top 40 team in this era according to Sagarin.

Michigan played the #1, #3, #6, #14, #17 and #18 ranked defense out of the top 20 defenses.

We had the #14th ranked scoring offense averaging 36 PPG.

You keep answering posts that aren't being made, stating facts that aren't relevant to my post.

I made my case above and nothing you stated changed that. Move along, chief.
It absolutely is relevant -- you didn't make the CFP because Bama controlled the entire game against Georgia. If it had been a last second win or Bama got lucky -- I could see the discussion. Bama was up 10 points most of the game.

Just say TY to Michigan for doing what you couldn't. :beer2:

Michigan played the #1, #3, #6, #14, #17 and #18 ranked defense out of the top 20 defenses.

We had the #14th ranked scoring offense averaging 36 PPG.
You had a pedestrian offense regardless of who you played. Throw out all the stats you want, that isn't going to change.

It absolutely is relevant -- you didn't make the CFP because Bama controlled the entire game against Georgia. If it had been a last second win or Bama got lucky -- I could see the discussion. Bama was up 10 points most of the game.

Just say TY to Michigan for doing what you couldn't. :beer2:
One last time for the dimwit in the back ... we were obviously one of the top 4 teams in CFB ... we didn't get in because 1 of the best 4 and one of the most deserving 4 had to be left out because of the format. As I have stated, it is what it is, and won't be that way next year. Count your blessings that you had the format this year.

You had a pedestrian offense regardless of who you played. Throw out all the stats you want, that isn't going to change.
If Michigan has a pedestrian offense -- What does that make Georgia's offense? We put up more offense and points against Bama than Georgia.

Just be happy you guys didn't play any real defenses this year so you can talk about how good your offense was.

One last time for the dimwit in the back ... we were obviously one of the top 4 teams in CFB ... we didn't get in because 1 of the best 4 and one of the most deserving 4 had to be left out because of the format. As I have stated, it is what it is, and won't be that way next year. Count your blessings that you had the format this year.
Which team were you better than? Texas, who beat the team you lost to? Or Washington who was undefeated while playing a tougher schedule than you?

Oh wait -- I know. You were better than Bama. :facepalm:

If Michigan has a pedestrian offense -- What does that make Georgia's offense? We put up more offense and points against Bama than Georgia.

Just be happy you guys didn't play any real defenses this year so you can talk about how good your offense was.
We had a way better offense than UM, that's obvious to everyone other than you. You don't know a lot about CFB or sports in general if you say, as you have, "UM has a better offense than UGA because we both faced 1 common opponent and we scored more points." I mean you really aren't that dumb, are you? It's rhetorical, we know you are that dumb.

We had a way better offense than UM, that's obvious to everyone other than you. You don't know a lot about CFB or sports in general if you say, as you have, "UM has a better offense than UGA because we both faced 1 common opponent and we scored more points." I mean you really aren't that dumb, are you? It's rhetorical, we know you are that dumb.
No -- Michigan faced 6 of the top 20 defenses. How many did Georgia face?

Which team were you better than? Texas, who beat the team you lost to? Or Washington who was undefeated while playing a tougher schedule than you?

Oh wait -- I know. You were better than Bama. :facepalm:
Again with the transitive property in football. It doesn't work.