Who will be the top 5 Big Ten programs over the NEXT 5 seasons?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 14,544.00
Spin off from the SEC thread.

For the sake of this thread, let's just use teams that are currently in the Big Ten. My guess is the Big Ten will expand over the next 5 seasons but don't try to speculate on who may be added in this thread.

Michigan. I don't care who the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th best team will be. I would put OAM 5th though, where they belong.

Ohio State
scUM
Oregon
Penn State
USC

I would listen to an argument on any order of those top 3 and 5 is kind of a crap shoot. I could see Washington, if they can recover from the attrition, Nebraska, as Rhule has a pretty good track record of turning teams around, Wisconsin, Iowa, or possibly even Michigan State

tUM
OAM
Oregon
Penn State
USC

I would listen to an argument on any order of those top 3 and 5 is kind of a crap shoot. I could see Washington, if they can recover from the attrition, Nebraska, as Rhule has a pretty good track record of turning teams around, Wisconsin, Iowa, or possibly even Michigan State

What @fishinabarrel said is spot on, but I had to change the list a bit :)

Ohio State
Oregon
Penn State
USC
Wisconsin

Washington and Michigan State have a shot being in there as I do like their new coaches but I think it'll take time for them both to build their teams up.

Michigan - although will take a step back
Ohio State
Oregon

2nd Tier:
Penn State
Washington
USC
Wisconsin - fear the Fickle

In the second tier Penn State and Wisconsin will probably be most consistent.

Washington and USC will be rebuilding the next few years. USC has a two year lead but just lost their QB and OC.

Michigan - although will take a step back
Ohio State
Oregon

2nd Tier:
Penn State
Washington
USC
Wisconsin - fear the Fickle

In the second tier Penn State and Wisconsin will probably be most consistent.

Washington and USC will be rebuilding the next few years. USC has a two year lead but just lost their QB and OC.
Their OC is back this year, last year was his first year. Also I'm not sure they're losing anything going to Miller Moss from Caleb. If they can get their defense situated that's a dangerous team very soon.

5 seasons is kind of a short sample size tbh. Could have a program really make a run for a few years then drop off or vice versa. The most likely candidates are Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Oregon, USC

Washington I'm unsure of given their coach and player turnover. Nebraska isn't there yet but could be by the end and I don't know what to think of UCLA. Historically, Wisconsin and Iowa make runs every few years and I could even see Maryland joining them as occasionally in the hunt. Michigan St seems to be a giant mess and nowhere near contention, though historically they're in the same grouping as Wisky and Iowa.

5 seasons is kind of a short sample size tbh. Could have a program really make a run for a few years then drop off or vice versa. The most likely candidates are Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Oregon, USC

Washington I'm unsure of given their coach and player turnover. Nebraska isn't there yet but could be by the end and I don't know what to think of UCLA. Historically, Wisconsin and Iowa make runs every few years and I could even see Maryland joining them as occasionally in the hunt. Michigan St seems to be a giant mess and nowhere near contention, though historically they're in the same grouping as Wisky and Iowa.
Wonder how this will change once the divisions are gone. I think over a span of 5 years they probably won't, but I think some teams will just get the luck of the schedule and not play the best teams in the conference that particular year.

Wonder how this will change once the divisions are gone. I think over a span of 5 years they probably won't, but I think some teams will just get the luck of the schedule and not play the best teams in the conference that particular year.

It really is going to be luck of the schedule draw for some. The completely unbalanced schedule aspect is real with these massive conferences now.

It really is going to be luck of the schedule draw for some. The completely unbalanced schedule aspect is real with these massive conferences now.
I suspect this is going to screw over some really good B10 teams in the near future. I can see like 3-4 ranked teams competing for the top spot, and like Iowa scooting in the background playing none of them and finishing 2nd in record. And the big name teams are never going to be able to do that because the conference is going to schedule them against each other the most for viewership/ratings.

That’s where some luck comes into play IMO.

B1G about to become the first official eye test conference.
The other factor -- it might not even matter? With 12 teams, there's a lot of leeway to get into the playoff.

The other factor -- it might not even matter? With 12 teams, there's a lot of leeway to get into the playoff.
pressure will be on at those programs to not just make the field but to make the semifinals at that point. There is real money on the line with collectives.. patience won't last long

UM
Oregon
Ohio St
Washington
Penn St

Their OC is back this year, last year was his first year. Also I'm not sure they're losing anything going to Miller Moss from Caleb. If they can get their defense situated that's a dangerous team very soon.
I thought Kingsbury was the OC and he just left for Washington?

I’ve got no faith in Lincoln Riley ever getting his act together on defense. He is always going to take the best athletes for the offense and make decisions that are best for his offense even if it lays his defense out to dry.

I was referring to the CCG.
I predict there will be a lot of teams who don't want to make the CCG because of the implications it might have on their 12 team playoff ranking.

I predict there will be a lot of teams who don't want to make the CCG because of the implications it might have on their 12 team playoff ranking.
Then they can leave the conference. A B1G Championship is more important than merely making the playoffs.