Who will be the top 5 Big Ten programs over the NEXT 5 seasons?

I thought Kingsbury was the OC and he just left for Washington?

I’ve got no faith in Lincoln Riley ever getting his act together on defense. He is always going to take the best athletes for the offense and make decisions that are best for his offense even if it lays his defense out to dry.
KK was some sort of offensive analyst I think. Josh Henson is their OC, and I was wrong, he's been there the last 2 years. Seems to be doing a good job, and he has a solid track record. You're right though, Linc has given no indication he'll ever figure defense out. How hard is it for him to just throw money at an at least semi-proven DC and just let him handle that side of things?

I predict there will be a lot of teams who don't want to make the CCG because of the implications it might have on their 12 team playoff ranking.
I do not think that's a good prediction.

I’ve got no faith in Lincoln Riley ever getting his act together on defense. He is always going to take the best athletes for the offense and make decisions that are best for his offense even if it lays his defense out to dry.
Word is the new DC they took from UCLA is the real deal

KK was some sort of offensive analyst I think. Josh Henson is their OC, and I was wrong, he's been there the last 2 years. Seems to be doing a good job, and he has a solid track record. You're right though, Linc has given no indication he'll ever figure defense out. How hard is it for him to just throw money at an at least semi-proven DC and just let him handle that side of things?
if you look at the transfers that came in.. you think he was doing his due diligence .. Bear Alexander, and taking a couple former 5 star DL to mesh.. Think the issue was always on Grinch and his philosophy

Like I said in the post before, word is that the DC is the real deal.. they will make a huge improvement.. probably still another season away from a dominant standpoint.

I do not think that's a good prediction.
Of course, they'll never admit that. But if a team is ranked 11th or 12th nationally and is slated to play in the CCG against, say, #2 Ohio State; they'll likely be destroying their playoff hopes by playing in a CCG. I suspect making the playoff, even if you lose, will end up being a better achievement than playing in a CCG and losing.

Then they can leave the conference. A B1G Championship is more important than merely making the playoffs.
If they win it, but I'm talking about the fringe teams. Think Iowa this year. If Iowa happened to be ranked, say, 12th. They wouldn't want to go play #1 Michigan in the CCG with little shot of winning. (They obviously wouldn't say that). That loss takes them out of the playoff -- a playoff that starts with the top teams in a bye.

Wonder how this will change once the divisions are gone. I think over a span of 5 years they probably won't, but I think some teams will just get the luck of the schedule and not play the best teams in the conference that particular year.

I don't think it changes much tbh. Both those programs (and Michigan St under Dantonio) would run in regular rotations where they would be highly competitive when they had a squad of upperclassmen then drop off when they had to rebuild. They were legit top 15-20 teams so that should translate to top 5 or so in the expanded conference.

The thing that will likely change is programs in the B1G and SEC will have to get used to having more Ls on their record than they're used to by the end of the season. Oregon and USC are good programs and will take some Ws over Michigan and Ohio State just like OU and Texas will against UGA and Bama. Going unbeaten will be less and less common going forward for the 2 mega conferences.

If they win it, but I'm talking about the fringe teams. Think Iowa this year. If Iowa happened to be ranked, say, 12th. They wouldn't want to go play #1 Michigan in the CCG with little shot of winning. (They obviously wouldn't say that).
That was a function of having divisions Under the system in place now, we would have gotten a a Michigan-OSU rematch.

That was a function of having divisions Under the system in place now, we would have gotten a a Michigan-OSU rematch.
Oh, I agree. I much preferred the prior system. The new system changes everything and IMO for the worse. Michigan could end up playing Ohio State 3 times in a season.

if you look at the transfers that came in.. you think he was doing his due diligence .. Bear Alexander, and taking a couple former 5 star DL to mesh.. Think the issue was always on Grinch and his philosophy

Like I said in the post before, word is that the DC is the real deal.. they will make a huge improvement.. probably still another season away from a dominant standpoint.
I didn't realize they snagged the guy from UCLA. That's an excellent hire, he improved UCLA's defense immensely in only a year. Grinch must have dirt on every HC out there to keep getting jobs because he is a horrible coach. USC could contend this year that new DC cam bring their defense up. I think the offense is going to be really good again.

Of course, they'll never admit that. But if a team is ranked 11th or 12th nationally and is slated to play in the CCG against, say, #2 Ohio State; they'll likely be destroying their playoff hopes by playing in a CCG. I suspect making the playoff, even if you lose, will end up being a better achievement than playing in a CCG and losing.
When was the last time the best team in the B1G was ranked #2 and the next best team was ranked 11th or 12th at the end of the regular season?

Riley is a disciple of the Pirate ya know. If their offense lays the defense out to dry, so be it. I’ve just never thought his teams had very good talent on defense. A few players here and there, but not enough good ones for places like OU and USC. He should be able to get better defensive players at places like those… without sacrificing any of his beloved offense.

When was the last time the best team in the B1G was ranked #2 and the next best team was ranked 11th or 12th at the end of the regular season?
Michigan was ranked I think 2, and Iowa was ranked 16th just this year. I'm not sure how the 2023 tie-breaker would have worked out for the championship game. BUt teams like Iowa are going to regularly avoid playing some of the best teams in the conference because of the schedule of an 18 team conference and 9 conference games.

I'm shocked, not one of ya said Minnesota! Bastards!!

Michigan was ranked I think 2, and Iowa was ranked 16th just this year. I'm not sure how the 2023 tie-breaker would have worked out for the championship game. BUt teams like Iowa are going to regularly avoid playing some of the best teams in the conference because of the schedule of an 18 team conference and 9 conference games.
That's not relevant to what I was asking since there aren't divisions anymore. When was the last time the top B1G team was ranked 2nd and the next best B1G team was ranked 11 or 12? Iowa was 16th but they were the 4th highest ranked B1G team.