12 Team CFP Playoff

I’m probably in the minority here( and coming from a guy that has a G5 school’s logo for his avi) I don’t think a spot should be reserved for a G5 champion unless they are ranked in the top 12 anyway.

Splain to me Lucy why they get one.
Mainly to keep from getting sued. If you'll remember a few years ago, the Attorney General of Utah entered a suit to sue over the G5 and an AQ or getting playoff games which wasn't happening. I really don't remember exactly what, but it did concern the G5 and the postseason, or some bullshit about being left out. Right after that, Utah got an invite to the Pac 12 and the suit went away. And with the way the legal shit is going now, one less thing to worry about getting sued over.

:2cents:

first time i got to use that and at 2 cents, that's over-priced

You calculated wrong because your school doesn’t trach you to count. We were tied second in wins through 2009 and had the second best win% outright. Dunce.

Well yours didn't 'trach' you to write.

Which is worse?

I'm going with write. Because you don't have to be able to write to deliver pizzas.

You calculated wrong because your school doesn’t trach you to count. We were tied second in wins through 2009 and had the second best win% outright. Dunce.

I'll leave it alone

3dJ09sFeN0IjC.webp

Mainly to keep from getting sued. If you'll remember a few years ago, the Attorney General of Utah entered a suit to sue over the G5 and an AQ or getting playoff games which wasn't happening. I really don't remember exactly what, but it did concern the G5 and the postseason, or some bullshit about being left out. Right after that, Utah got an invite to the Pac 12 and the suit went away. And with the way the legal shit is going now, one less thing to worry about getting sued over.

:2cents:

first time i got to use that and at 2 cents, that's over-priced
There is a little memory spark of that in the deep dark recesses of my forgetful mind. I think we even had a discussion about it. Something along the lines of just how big of a crumb the P5s needed to throw to the G5s in order to solicit a “Thank you master for the crumbs” and to stop such pestering.

There is a little memory spark of that in the deep dark recesses of my forgetful mind. I think we even had a discussion about it. Something along the lines of just how big of a crumb the P5s needed to throw to the G5s in order to solicit a “Thank you master for the crumbs” and to stop such pestering.
Except that the little crumb is quite large. In 2022-23, they got $102 million dollars for all the G5 schools in aggregate. No G5 school was in the CFP, but they were given over 20% of the revenue. For doing nothing.

I know you are a G5 guy, but at some point that is going to stop. They don't contribute much ... it's not like anyone is scheduling the Arkon v. Topeka game as must see TV.

Except that the little crumb is quite large. In 2022-23, they got $102 million dollars for all the G5 schools in aggregate. No G5 school was in the CFP, but they were given over 20% of the revenue. For doing nothing.

I know you are a G5 guy, but at some point that is going to stop. They don't contribute much ... it's not like anyone is scheduling the Arkon v. Topeka game as must see TV.
Why are the P2 plus the middling two willing to fork over that $102 million crumb to them?

My team is G5 but I see no reason they get a slot in the CFP or any of the revenue from it if they don’t have a team ranked in the top 12.

Explain to me like I'm 5 how you are proclaiming Texas as the team of the 00's while OU had the same number of wins and NCs but had more NC game appearances and owned a 6-4 record against UT in that time frame.

Why are the P2 plus the middling two willing to fork over that $102 million crumb to them?

My team is G5 but I see no reason they get a slot in the CFP or any of the revenue from it if they don’t have a team ranked in the top 12.
As others have stated, at least how it is currently configured they are concerned about anti-trust issues. That will go away in the next 6 years or so, I am guessing. Also, I have seen some of the discussions and they won't get betting 20% going forward.

If you think that is interesting, wait until you see what happens with March Madness. March Madness basically funds most of the non-P4 college sports. Let's say that they make about $1 billion each year for March Madness - that's an accurate number. Only about $185 million goes to the teams that made the 68 team field. That's it ... 18% goes to the actual teams in the tournament. The rest goes out to fund everything else the NCAA does, most of it to teams that lose money and can't afford to field teams in sports. All the Division 2, 3 and 4 sports - totally funded by March Madness.

So, if you have followed me up to now, you are going to get basketball players who are going to say wait a fucking minute. You mean we generate $1 billion and you give us less than 20%. Fuck that. We want 30%, or something reasonable like that. And the NCAA, once again, is going to be fucked. And you are going to see sports at lower levels totally closed down because they make no money, the schools can't afford to fund them. On one hand, I feel sorry for those athletes, but on the other hand I feel for CBB players who have basically funded the NCAA sports for decades.

Tons of articles like this one ... google "where does march madness revenue go"

Explain to me like I'm 5 how you are proclaiming Texas as the team of the 00's while OU had the same number of wins and NCs but had more NC game appearances and owned a 6-4 record against UT in that time frame.
I already wrote it out. Scroll and read.

You think having a worse win% is better. So, we know you’re an idiot.
It doesn't take into account who you played. So you are of the mindset BSU was a better team of the 00's then LSU going off this? Retard

It doesn't take into account who you played. So you are of the mindset BSU was a better team of the 00's then LSU going off this? Retard
Nope. I didn’t state that or hint that. You truly have a soft mind.

Nope. I didn’t state that or hint that. You truly have a soft mind.
And where did I state having a worse % is better you simple dipshit?

this is what we were talking about a week or so ago.. guarantees the Big12 and ACC each getting in 2 schools in the playoffs.. ND and the G5 share 10% lol

this is what we were talking about a week or so ago.. guarantees the Big12 and ACC each getting in 2 schools in the playoffs.. ND and the G5 share 10% lol

I don't think any should be guaranteed anything. Best 12 teams get in and get 1/12 of the revenue. If they want to bundle it and pay it into the conference for distribution, so be it. If the B1G has four of the best twelve teams, they get 33% of the CFP revenue to distribute among the conference members as they see fit.

I don't think any should be guaranteed anything. Best 12 teams get in and get 1/12 of the revenue. If they want to bundle it and pay it into the conference for distribution, so be it. If the B1G has four of the best twelve teams, they get 33% of the CFP revenue to distribute among the conference members as they see fit.
This article is actually more about the distribution of the money than the format.

Screw that 1/12th of the revenue. You should be rewarded for winning, not getting in. I posted this at Rivals earlier today.

I have written that I thought the CFP money would be split based on merit whereby each team gets shares for getting into the CFP and then advancing. That money would go to the conferences, which would then split it amongst their members as they see fit. As an example, let's say they award shares as follows:

1 share for getting in, 1 for each win or bye. That would give you:

12 getting in, 8 in round 1, 4 in round 2, 2 in round 3, and 1 in the NC game. That's a total of 27 shares. If the contract is for 1.3 billion, you would take $300 million off the top for admin costs and payments to the G5 (trust me, they already do that and will do so going forward). That would leave a billion for 27 shares, or $37 million per share. The following would be true:

- The winner would get 5 shares, or $185 million.
- A team getting in and losing the first round would get $37 million.
- The SEC, with two teams in the NC, 1 team out in the first round and one advancing to the second round, would get 12 shares or $444 million.

This makes sense as it is kind of how they do it for March Madness, and it's 100% meritocracy. Win and get paid. The P2 would make more because they have more better teams who would get in and win. Want to make more money? Spend more and get more teams in and win. A team like FSU could negotiate with the ACC and say "look, we are going to stay in your league, but we want a merit-based amount of the CFP money. We get in and win, we should get more than Pitt or Syracuse or UVA." That would solve some of your ACC problems as FSU and Clemson could stay in the ACC and stay closer to the P2 teams in revenue because they earned it.

BUT, that's not what is being proposed. Instead, the money will be split two ways - a participation amount, and a conference base amount. The participation amount will be like what I mentioned above, but will only be about $3-5 million for each share, or about $100 million according to this article. The rest is going to be split by the conferences unevenly with the P2 getting 58% between the 2, and the other 2 P conferences getting 31%, with 10% going to ND and G5 conferences.

That isn't what you refer to as free market capitalism - that's more like monopolistic companies throwing around their weight. And the problem is that they don't have to do it. They would get the lion's share of the money anyway because they have more better teams. And, why the hell is the SEC tying itself evenly to the B1G? The B1G makes the same or even a little more TV money than the SEC because they have a vastly larger alumni based, but because they have a better product. The SEC makes more because "it means more" and they have the most better teams. Based on history, the SEC would get the most followed by the B1G followed by the ACC followed by the B12. Likewise, I am not sure why the ACC is agreeing to be tied to the B12 ... they have done much better in the CFP than the B12 has.

[I am rethinking the above paragraph ... sure the SEC will win more games, but the B1G will deliver more eyeballs even if they don't win as much. So putting those two together actually makes sense even if they arrive at their value a little differently]

At the end of the day, it makes sense that the conferences that have the most better teams makes the most money.

This article is actually more about the distribution of the money than the format.

Screw that 1/12th of the revenue. You should be rewarded for winning, not getting in. I posted this at Rivals earlier today.

I have written that I thought the CFP money would be split based on merit whereby each team gets shares for getting into the CFP and then advancing. That money would go to the conferences, which would then split it amongst their members as they see fit. As an example, let's say they award shares as follows:

1 share for getting in, 1 for each win or bye. That would give you:

12 getting in, 8 in round 1, 4 in round 2, 2 in round 3, and 1 in the NC game. That's a total of 27 shares. If the contract is for 1.3 billion, you would take $300 million off the top for admin costs and payments to the G5 (trust me, they already do that and will do so going forward). That would leave a billion for 27 shares, or $37 million per share. The following would be true:

- The winner would get 5 shares, or $185 million.
- A team getting in and losing the first round would get $37 million.
- The SEC, with two teams in the NC, 1 team out in the first round and one advancing to the second round, would get 12 shares or $444 million.

This makes sense as it is kind of how they do it for March Madness, and it's 100% meritocracy. Win and get paid. The P2 would make more because they have more better teams who would get in and win. Want to make more money? Spend more and get more teams in and win. A team like FSU could negotiate with the ACC and say "look, we are going to stay in your league, but we want a merit-based amount of the CFP money. We get in and win, we should get more than Pitt or Syracuse or UVA." That would solve some of your ACC problems as FSU and Clemson could stay in the ACC and stay closer to the P2 teams in revenue because they earned it.

BUT, that's not what is being proposed. Instead, the money will be split two ways - a participation amount, and a conference base amount. The participation amount will be like what I mentioned above, but will only be about $3-5 million for each share, or about $100 million according to this article. The rest is going to be split by the conferences unevenly with the P2 getting 58% between the 2, and the other 2 P conferences getting 31%, with 10% going to ND and G5 conferences.

That isn't what you refer to as free market capitalism - that's more like monopolistic companies throwing around their weight. And the problem is that they don't have to do it. They would get the lion's share of the money anyway because they have more better teams. And, why the hell is the SEC tying itself evenly to the B1G? The B1G makes the same or even a little more TV money than the SEC because they have a vastly larger alumni based, but because they have a better product. The SEC makes more because "it means more" and they have the most better teams. Based on history, the SEC would get the most followed by the B1G followed by the ACC followed by the B12. Likewise, I am not sure why the ACC is agreeing to be tied to the B12 ... they have done much better in the CFP than the B12 has.

[I am rethinking the above paragraph ... sure the SEC will win more games, but the B1G will deliver more eyeballs even if they don't win as much. So putting those two together actually makes sense even if they arrive at their value a little differently]

At the end of the day, it makes sense that the conferences that have the most better teams makes the most money.
I can live with a “the more you win the more you get” set up…without guaranteed spots to begi with. Just the twelve highest rated teams by the CFP. If no G5s, Big 12 or ACC teams are among the best twelve, then they just need to get better.

I can live with a “the more you win the more you get” set up…without guaranteed spots to begi with. Just the twelve highest rated teams by the CFP. If no G5s, Big 12 or ACC teams are among the best twelve, then they just need to get better.

100%