Nebraska Cornhuskers 2023 Recruiting Thread (Commit list in OP)

twitter hates me and I never see your stuff I have to go search for it.
you can hit the bell next to the "follow" (or unfollow) button on twitter and it will notify every time I tweet. Or at least it should

So I want to do a quick primer on numbers because it can be confusing, hopefully you can follow along.

As you know (or should know) schools are limited to 85 scholarship players during the season. During the off season there's some wiggle room in that and during a coaching change there is even more wiggle room.

So what do I mean by that? Well - per NCAA rules a new HC can remove any player from the roster and keep them on scholarship (to close out their academics) and they will no longer be counters against you 85. We do not know if Rhule has done or is doing that, but that DOES play a role.

Now, take into consideration names such as these: Tyreke Johnson, Braxton Clark, Garrett Snodgrass etc. - those players will likely graduate at the end of spring and if they do not go through spring practices they will not be counters, and even if they do and choose not to come back in the fall, they do not count against the 2023 counter number.

So it's impossible to get an overly accurate number for that reason... AAAAND for a few others.

Right now we're at 83 counters for the spring semester at the most (this is true because even if their are seniors from 2022 finishing degrees they do not count against the number for the spring). The High School guys that may or may not commit have nothing to do with the spring 83 number so forget about them for a second.

This means that Nebraska could add up to 2 more transfers (unless someone is removed from roster count that we don't know about) to get to the 85 for spring.

Now where do those HS guys fit in? Well, since they won't be here till fall they are counters against that fall number which means... Nebraska can add at least 3 depending on, again, that scholarship count.

So how many more can we expect to add? That's hard to answer, but my educated guess say 3 HS guys and maybe 1 or 2 more transfers are doable. So.. 5-6 more additions could be coming and we could end up adding 40 new scholarship names (nearly half a scholly roster!) in Rhule's first cycle.

If you guys are on twitter you might have seen a screenshot of Malik Hornsby's instagram with him in a Neb. uniform... question is - what does it mean? Here's the thing - he chose Texas State because they were going to let him be QB1 - he wants to play QB bad - but Nebraska COULD be convincing him to come here in the spring and try out for QB, if he doesn't like where he fits at the end of spring he could always transfer to TSU... So... Hornsby watch is not over. I'm not sure what it means, I'm not sure he actually switches, but I am sure that smoke like this usually includes a few flames.

If you guys are on twitter you might have seen a screenshot of Malik Hornsby's instagram with him in a Neb. uniform... question is - what does it mean? Here's the thing - he chose Texas State because they were going to let him be QB1 - he wants to play QB bad - but Nebraska COULD be convincing him to come here in the spring and try out for QB, if he doesn't like where he fits at the end of spring he could always transfer to TSU... So... Hornsby watch is not over. I'm not sure what it means, I'm not sure he actually switches, but I am sure that smoke like this usually includes a few flames.

To add to this - the smoke was there because of a social media post... he is at Texas State as we speak. Their student directory is not searchable to the public which is why he is not appearing in it.

Malachi Coleman showing out at the Poly bowl on the NFL network. 2 receiving TDs, one by outrunning and tracking the ball in double coverage, another 24 yard catch in traffic where he stuck the landing.

Visit UPDATES:

1. Pretty sure Jeremiah Charles and Ismael Smith-Flores are both N considering some twitter hijinks today and a since deleted Tweet by Flores indicating that he, Wager's son, and Charles would be coming. (Wager's son as a walk-on).
2. Sua Lufotu is set to announce on Feb 1 (things may change) but things look up for Nebraska here. Will be interesting to see if he visits elsewhere. Arizona State is a team to watch here.
3. Demitrius Bell - Supposedly committed on his visit according to some, not sure, but things looking good here.
4. Jacob Hood - only one with announcement date, tomorrow at 11am CST supposedly (we'll see if that happens)... of note, he was apparently supposed to make it to Ole Miss as well - he didn't. Nebraska looking good here.

It will be interesting to see if Coleman gets a bump at Rivals. I do know he will likely not be a 5-star.

He's currently rated a 6.0 and 65th overall as well as #2 ATH

ESPN finished their Top 300 today as well... Nebraska closes with 4 recruits in the Top 300 (Lenhardt, Coleman, Nation, and Umanmielen) and an addition 4-star just outside of the Top 300 in Riley Van Poppel. That's five 4-star recruits for the 2023 class.

In 2022 Nebraska finished with three, and only 1 Top 300 (2 of the 3 are no longer on campus)
In 2021 Nebraska finished with four, and had 3 Top 300 (1 no longer on campus)

This is the best ESPN class since 2020 when Nebraska finished with eight, and 6 Top 300, including 2 Top50 JUCOs (6 of the 8 are no longer on campus)

Alright... it's 11AM CST and 12PM EST - Jacob said he would be announcing around this time today. I'll be watching Twitter and Instagram to see if it happens. As always - keeping you as up to date as possible here.

For those wondering about the Rivals rankings update schedule...

Screenshot_20230123_114439_Chrome.jpg

Apparently, it is 12pm CST that the announcement is taking place!

Nebraska moved up to #18 in the Transfer Portal rankings.

I think they were #29 when I looked last week.

Arik Gilbert and Kemp got rankings today

worth pointing out as well, that Gage Wager (new TE coach Bob Wager's son) has also committed as a walk-on

there's one!

I believe that one belongs on the Iowa team board.
If only i knew where it was.

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Still no news on Hood - part of me wonders if he's trying to get some logistics with classes, registration for spring, etc worked out before announcing.

Just FYI - is named is not in the directory