"baseball is so much better now"

Hell, even middle school rec girls softball matters.
Thank you.

What we're discussing (well, at least I am) is whether regular season MLB baseball games mean more now than they did before.

So far the argument in favor of the present is something about the attendance at Babe Ruth's last game and the '86 Mets. :crazy:

You have to understand how absurd you sound trying to make that argument.

The season was over by game 155. Every game didn't matter. All 4 divisions were sewn up before the last two series of the season started.

It is absurd to postulate that every game mattered in 1986.

The season was over by game 155. Every game didn't matter. All 4 divisions were sewn up before the last two series of the season started.

It is absurd to postulate that every game mattered in 1986.
I'm not playing semantics on Sunday morning, bro.

The beauty of baseball is that every pitch matters. Live in the moment.

Even non-pitches like pick off attempts and balks.

Astros win and Rangers lose. Astros win the AL West and get a first round bye, Rangers now have to play in a wild card round.

But no games mattered today

Padres 2
ChiSox 1

Mind Blown GIF

This is a very odd take. There are pointless games at the end of every season.
You guys are losing me. No one is debating that. Why are you stuck on that meaningless point that no one has tried to make?

I'm equally baffled by the pretense that regular season games are just as meaningful now that we have 12 fucking playoff spots as they were when we had pennant races.

What are you guys scared of? Admitting that baseball today is very rapidly heading toward complete irrelevance?

From certain viewpoints, perhaps. But they still matter. These players are competitors. Each game is a unique competition.
In the context of advancing to the postseason, which is what we're talking about here, not so much.

In the context of advancing to the postseason, which is what we're talking about here, not so much.
Pretty narrow context. Advancing to the playoffs in the year 2023 is as negligible as Game #1 of the 2023 season in a hundred years. Being Miggy's last game will matter more.

Pretty narrow context. Advancing to the playoffs in the year 2023 is as negligible as Game #1 of the 2023 season in a hundred years. Being Miggy's last game will matter more.
Was a good day of baseball in Detroit.

Ranging off the bag for a backhanded unassisted putout, in front of a standing room only crowd, was a great way to call it a career.

Beating Cleveland, securing second in the worst division in baseball just made it so much sweeter.

You guys are losing me. No one is debating that. Why are you stuck on that meaningless point that no one has tried to make?

I'm equally baffled by the pretense that regular season games are just as meaningful now that we have 12 fucking playoff spots as they were when we had pennant races.

What are you guys scared of? Admitting that baseball today is very rapidly heading toward complete irrelevance?
Pretty sure attendance had its biggest increase this year in a couple decades.

When you're talking about the game very rapidly heading towards irrelevance? Yes.
In my opinion. I prefer baseball before significant rules changes fundamentally changed the game. I went from having the platinum MLB package and watching parts of hundreds of baseball games a season every single day, many at Petco or Chavez, to not watching at all.

Repeat: in my opinion.

With any sport, the more modern you get, the better the players will be. Not modern players fault that old players were too dumb to figure out modern nutrition, workouts, practice and analytics on their own

You ever heard of Bo Jackson? So loaded with talent he pissed on analytics