TV Series Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon

Did she send her kids to die on purpose? To maybe, what, say she didn’t start the war?

Cuz that’s the only thing that makes a little sense? Cuz sending your young ass inexperienced sons on dragon back by themselves out into the wind when you know there are murderous experienced dragonbacked warriors out there (who hate them btw) trying to consolidate power is so fucking stupid, it makes this show a laughing stock.

This is Marvel / Star Wars level… just putting shit on the screen hoping the audience just straight lets it pass

She took a risk; it didn't pan out. In dangerous situations, sometimes risks don't pan out. It happens. Risk nothing, gain nothing. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work out.

What was she supposed to do, just have her sons and dragons sit around at home all day, accomplishing nothing while the Greens gathered support from the Great Houses and consolidated their alliances? Then she would just slowly lose the conflict. She needed to shore up support from the Great Houses and form her own alliances. It was just bad luck that Aemond happened to be at Storm's End at the same time as Luke, and that Borros (whom she thought was friendly, since he's related to Rhaenys) decided to flip to the other side and not offer Luke shelter.

There was no war yet. The Greens had just sent her a peace delegation, so she didn't expect violence from them at the moment. Luke was sent as an envoy, and should have been left alone by any Green envoys he encountered.

She took a risk; it didn't pan out. In dangerous situations, sometimes risks don't pan out. It happens. Risk nothing, gain nothing. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work out.

What was she supposed to do, just have her sons and dragons sit around at home all day, accomplishing nothing while the Greens gathered support from the Great Houses and consolidated their alliances? Then she would just slowly lose the conflict. She needed to shore up support from the Great Houses and form her own alliances. It was just bad luck that Aemond happened to be at Storm's End at the same time as Luke, and that Borros (whom she thought was friendly, since he's related to Rhaenys) decided to flip to the other side and not offer Luke shelter.

There was no war yet. The Greens had just sent her a peace delegation, so she didn't expect violence from them at the moment. Luke was sent as an envoy, and should have been left alone by any Green envoys he encountered.
Was something like this death in the books? I thought I saw some hint that something like this was coming.

Very enjoyable episode. Nothing super nagging for me like last week.

It was very odd that the kids were sent like this, but also not super odd. They were going to presumed friendly homes.

And now we wait a year…..

Was something like this death in the books? I thought I saw some hint that something like this was coming.

Very enjoyable episode. Nothing super nagging for me like last week.

It was very odd that the kids were sent like this, but also not super odd. They were going to presumed friendly homes.

And now we wait a year…..

It almost exactly followed the book.

Episode 10 stuck close to the book. It wasn't like episode 9's foot-fetish and Rhaenys-dragon nonsense.

The missions were supposed to be low-risk. Before the war began, the "lean" of the Great Houses:

Greens: Lannister, Tyrell, Tully
Blacks: Baratheon, Arryn, Stark

Thus, Rhaenyra thought she was sending her sons into friendly territory. Unfortunately for her, Borros Baratheon flipped to the other side and didn't shelter Luke.

It almost exactly followed the book.

Episode 10 stuck close to the book. It wasn't like episode 9's foot-fetish and Rhaenys-dragon nonsense.

The missions were supposed to be low-risk. Before the war began, the "lean" of the Great Houses:

Greens: Lannister, Tyrell, Tully
Blacks: Baratheon, Arryn, Stark

Thus, Rhaenyra thought she was sending her sons into friendly territory. Unfortunately for her, Borros Baratheon flipped to the other side and didn't shelter Luke.
On the face of it the situation seems far too fraught just to send a kid on a dragon. Even with it being a trip to Allied houses Otto had already delivered that they had reached to these houses.

But, it’s amazing to me how “it what was in the book, it’s canon” vs “it’s some weird writers crazy ass idea that somehow everyone agreed to” makes it all easier for me.

Also, I said I would give some benefit to how they explain Rhaenys’ break out. And they did…..”it wasn’t my place to start a war”. Ok, that’s in character for Rhaenys to me. But, it still gives no read as to why she broke up through the floor instead of just, you know, using the proper exit to the dragon pit.

One could also counter her point with “you mean, it’s not your place to end a potential war”….because that’s what she was in position to do.

Also, really enjoyed the realization from these kids that these beasts aren’t always easy to manage. Stubborn and temperamental thermonuclear weapons is what they are.

I'm not sure if we should discuss this yet because of spoilers but when it's acceptable someone run down the Rhaenyra and Daemon scene about Fire and Ice for me because there is something I am missing.

I'm not 100% clear what the prophecy actually is (I'm sure it's because I didn't pay enough attention when Paddy was talking about it) why Rhaenyra is so concerned about it and why Daemon got so angry. Seems an important piece that I blew off and now I need to know what is going on.

What's the consensus on the series? Was it good?

I dropped HBO, but now that the whole season is out, I might pick up HBO Go for a month and binge it.

It was good. Starts off a little slow and some of the early episode acting feels hit and miss. But the show really grows after that.
They do a good job of introducing you to new characters and their motivations. It kinda parallels GOT S1 in some ways.

Definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed GOT in any way.

Very much so.

And she intentionally chose Storm's End as the place he would go because it was the closest and safest journey, which makes it more heartbreaking for Rhaenyra in the end. Prior to that act, her mindset was to avoid war if at all possible.
The real bummer is we have to wait so long for season 2.

I'm not sure if we should discuss this yet because of spoilers but when it's acceptable someone run down the Rhaenyra and Daemon scene about Fire and Ice for me because there is something I am missing.

I'm not 100% clear what the prophecy actually is (I'm sure it's because I didn't pay enough attention when Paddy was talking about it) why Rhaenyra is so concerned about it and why Daemon got so angry. Seems an important piece that I blew off and now I need to know what is going on.

I think it just showcases that Vizzy-T chose her to be successor. He passed this secret knowledge on to her and her alone.

IMO, Daemon got upset because he thinks his brother spent too much time dreaming and not enough time on things that mattered (like cleaning up the city watch, dealing with the Stepstones, etc) and that made him a weak leader according to Daemon.

I think it just showcases that Vizzy-T chose her to be successor. He passed this secret knowledge on to her and her alone.

IMO, Daemon got upset because he thinks his brother spent too much time dreaming and not enough time on things that mattered (like cleaning up the city watch, dealing with the Stepstones, etc) and that made him a weak leader according to Daemon.
I can’t help but think there is something really important about this prophecy but I’m entirely clear what the prophecy is.

I can’t help but think there is something really important about this prophecy but I’m entirely clear what the prophecy is.

The prophecy is essentially a warning about the white walkers coming out of the north and that the Targaryen house must keep the realm united and ready to combat the threat when it surfaces. So, essentially what we saw in GOT played out.

Over the centuries, this prophecy gets lost and forgotten by the Targaryen house (as does that famous dagger and its hidden meaning). The rest of the south considers it a fairy tale. The Night's Watch and The Wall just become destinations to send people the rest of the realm wants to exile, and their purpose a running joke to everyone outside of the North.

I don't recall which season it was when Tyrion visited the wall (mostly because he considered it one of the wonders of the world and so he could piss off the top of it). Season 1 or 2, but his opinions of the place dramatically change. Initially he's all jokes, but after actually being there and looking beyond, he becomes unnerved.

Very much so.

And she intentionally chose Storm's End as the place he would go because it was the closest and safest journey, which makes it more heartbreaking for Rhaenyra in the end. Prior to that act, her mindset was to avoid war if at all possible.
The real bummer is we have to wait so long for season 2.
Yeah, I’m hearing probably 12-18 months for S2. I’ll need to refresh almost fully by that point.

It makes sense, what you said, sending him to the closest place and the most likely still friend. My immediate gut thought was just to send Daemon to all three, but, yeah….Daemon.

So, two other dragon riders went to the Vale and Winterfell….who was the third rider? Jace, Luke, end?

Yeah, I’m hearing probably 12-18 months for S2. I’ll need to refresh almost fully by that point.

It makes sense, what you said, sending him to the closest place and the most likely still friend. My immediate gut thought was just to send Daemon to all three, but, yeah….Daemon.

So, two other dragon riders went to the Vale and Winterfell….who was the third rider? Jace, Luke, end?

The older son went to the Vale and then to Winterfell. The 3rd was Raenys (the aunt, great aunt?) who said she would patrol the sea trade channels for their blockade.

Did she send her kids to die on purpose? To maybe, what, say she didn’t start the war?

Cuz that’s the only thing that makes a little sense? Cuz sending your young ass inexperienced sons on dragon back by themselves out into the wind when you know there are murderous experienced dragonbacked warriors out there (who hate them btw) trying to consolidate power is so fucking stupid, it makes this show a laughing stock.

This is Marvel / Star Wars level… just putting shit on the screen hoping the audience just straight lets it pass
You're kinda full of shit.

Reactions: ill
The older son went to the Vale and then to Winterfell. The 3rd was Raenys (the aunt, great aunt?) who said she would patrol the sea trade channels for their blockade.
Good reminder. Thanks, I remember that scene now.

I took it as Rhaenyra believed Daemon knew about Aegon's dream about the song of ice & fire because Daemon was his heir for a very long time & she just figured Viserys had made him privy to the info. Daemon was pissed about a lot of things, including the fact that he was never told by Viserys, meaning Daemon, in Viserys's eyes was never seen as a viable option as heir.

Daemon has a more important and dangerous mission in that he is trying to gather the riderless dragons. We really haven’t seen these but from last night the one we saw looked freaking huge.

That part will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Daemon has a more important and dangerous mission in that he is trying to gather the riderless dragons. We really haven’t seen these but from last night the one we saw looked freaking huge.

That part will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Everything I've read said he was singing to Vermithor, which is the 2nd biggest dragon living behind Vhagar. Vermithor hasn't been ridden since Jaehaerys.

For a brief moment I thought it was The Cannibal, because it looked black. But I'm pretty sure not even Daemon goes near him. I really do hope we get to see him at some time during the series, though.

So the two things that bothered me:

1) Deamon choking the Queen out of nowhere. He has never really ever been hostile towards her at any point in the 20 year time span or whatever during this season. Seemed completely out of nowhere.

2) Why the one eyed kid was trying to get the Dragon to not kill the other kid and small dragon. What else was he attempting to do? Just scare him because he was absolutely cutting his eye out if the Baratheon lord didn't stop it.

Back