Good Documentaries?

I wish they would get back the old days when we had 90 minute documentaries that would tell the story. fuck between that twindler swindler thing where i watched it all, but from the jump kept thinking how dumb are these ladies, you kind of deserve it..., to they had that worst neighbor thing that was even worse because, shit, what do you do in that situation short of killing that dude? did love the philly gal eventually partied him out of the house, but it was still so sad all around and hate to see someone abuse a law built to protect tenants.

I know we talked about this when it was all happening years ago….but came across this doc today that was a comprehensive telling of the whole Boeing Max 8 tragedies and story.

I’ve read about the whole debacle of the ridiculous decision to adapt an existing airframe by putting MCAS on it, then pushing (hard) that it didn’t need full pilot certification and training….but this takes their stonewalling and culpability to another level….they didnt even tell pilots about the system.

A system which “….literally tries to kill you…”. They documented that you have 10 seconds to address it or it’s catastrophic. Imagine how short that time is when you weren’t even fucking told the system existed?

Again, the doc doesn’t shed too much new light not already known, but it does capture the absolutely despicable decisions made by executives only interested in being competitive and growing stock.

Seen “Downfall: The Case Against Boeing” on Netflix yet?

One piece that was new to me anyway….last year the government went after Boeing for their lying to FAA oversight and Boeing agreed to pay $2.5 billion in penalties….to avoid criminal prosecution.

I’m digesting that. Reality is that “criminal prosecution” wouldn’t be shit and that the way to punish these asshats is with billions of dollars.

But, it still pisses me off….
I caught this one, really good documentary. Crazy how they tried to blame pilots for not being American trained.

I caught this one, really good documentary. Crazy how they tried to blame pilots for not being American trained.
There has surely been many instances of crashes around the world where egregious pilot error happened…..even to pilots American trained.

Yeah….that was a gross part too. They are not the engineering first company they were and it’s bad. They bought McDonnell Douglas way back when but took way too much of that companies blood into the new Boeing, for some reason.

I believe they dropped a Tony Hawk doc on HBO Max that is supposed to be very good.

Saw it this weekend. It is indeed very good. I'm a little surprised they breezed through how big he and skateboarding got in the mid 90s/early 00s though. They spend basically the first half of the doc with his early life (all interesting stuff btw), talk a little about the mid-90s skateboarding blowing up but mostly focus on Hawk trying to do the 900, and then shift into how he isn't really slowing down given his age even though he probably should. Felt like you could have worked in another 10 to 20 minutes of how huge a star he became in that period with all that entailed both good and bad. It's touched on some but they definitely left meat on the bones

EDIT: Also, fuck Duane Peters

Saw it this weekend. It is indeed very good. I'm a little surprised they breezed through how big he and skateboarding got in the mid 90s/early 00s though. They spend basically the first half of the doc with his early life (all interesting stuff btw), talk a little about the mid-90s skateboarding blowing up but mostly focus on Hawk trying to do the 900, and then shift into how he isn't really slowing down given his age even though he probably should. Felt like you could have worked in another 10 to 20 minutes of how huge a star he became in that period with all that entailed both good and bad. It's touched on some but they definitely left meat on the bones
I think they touched enough on it. They talked about the ebb and flow of the sport. They talked about the crazy circus shit, whatever it was called, with the bikers and whatnot, and mentioned how the video game garnered more money than all of it. I thought it was incredible. I was right there in the 80's and again in the 90's when it blew up. The Bones Brigade stuff is by far the most interesting aspect of it. They were fucking children ffs.

Dude's balls must look like grapefruits.

He is hands-down, the greatest American athlete of all-time. Fuck Jordan, or any other.

EDIT: Also, fuck Duane Peters
Also, the fuck Duane Peters shit is lame. He was a pioneer. Locals only! Skate or die!

He was what the sport was, and I think his son dying and Tony getting past his bullshit and being there for him was the best part of the doc.

I think they touched enough on it. They talked about the ebb and flow of the sport. They talked about the crazy circus shit, whatever it was called, with the bikers and whatnot, and mentioned how the video game garnered more money than all of it. I thought it was incredible. I was right there in the 80's and again in the 90's when it blew up. The Bones Brigade stuff is by far the most interesting aspect of it. They were fucking children ffs.

Dude's balls must look like grapefruits.

He is hands-down, the greatest American athlete of all-time. Fuck Jordan, or any other.

They did touch on it, it just could have used more depth. He probably didn't want to delve too much into the family stuff so that's the reason they only went so far. Just a surface level "I got super rich and popular, addicted to fame and fucking girls, it wasn't fair to my kids". You compare that with how much time they spent talking about the relationship with his father from earlier in the film and you can see the difference in how they tackled the subjects.

Also, the fuck Duane Peters shit is lame. He was a pioneer. Locals only! Skate or die!

He was what the sport was, and I think his son dying and Tony getting past his bullshit and being there for him was the best part of the doc.

Dude was a miserable shitass hater the entire time. Guy is what, 60 years old and still talks and acts like a 14 year old punk. Fuck his salty ass. You can tell (son death aside) he's had a lot of shit in his life and I guarantee its because he reaped what he sowed

They did touch on it, it just could have used more depth. He probably didn't want to delve too much into the family stuff so that's the reason they only went so far. Just a surface level "I got super rich and popular, addicted to fame and fucking girls, it wasn't fair to my kids". You compare that with how much time they spent talking about the relationship with his father from earlier in the film and you can see the difference in how they tackled the subjects.
His Dad was much more relevant to his eventual success.

Him being a shit husband and Dad, is a different story, one that is frankly, way less pertinent.

I can take any retard off the street and tell a story about their shitty life.

This is TONY FUCKING HAWK. I wanna hear about how he became TONY FUCKING HAWK.

His Dad was much more relevant to his eventual success.

Him being a shit husband and Dad, is a different story, one that is frankly, way less pertinent.

I can take any retard off the street and tell a story about their shitty life.

This is TONY FUCKING HAWK. I wanna hear about how he became TONY FUCKING HAWK.

But its not just a doc about the making of Tony Hawk, its a doc about the whole of Tony Hawk. That's why they included the negative infidelity stories, etc to begin with. If it was just how he became Tony Hawk, they could have just stopped at the 900

Dude was a miserable shitass hater the entire time. Guy is what, 60 years old and still talks and acts like a 14 year old punk. Fuck his salty ass. You can tell (son death aside) he's had a lot of shit in his life and I guarantee its because he reaped what he sowed
He was the ultimate hater, that became the ultimate appreciater.

I mean fuck dude...whatever he sowed...it'd have to UP THERE to warrant losing yer 10 year old kid.

Last edited:
But its not just a doc about the making of Tony Hawk, its a doc about the whole of Tony Hawk. That's why they included the negative infidelity stories, etc to begin with. If it was just how he became Tony Hawk, they could have just stopped at the 900
Ya whatever dude.

Yer talking about the king of the most brutal individual sport ever, and you wanna hear about his shortcomings.

Seems like some The View bullshit if you ask me.

He was the ultimate hater, that became the ultimate appreciater.

I mean fuck dude...whatever he sowed...it'd have to UP THERE to warrant losing yer kid 10 year old kid.

I didn't read it as him being the ultimate appreciater. Not the way he was phrasing his comments and body language the entire time. It was more like "Damn, this dude still nice to me even though I've been a piece of shit for decades". He appreciated that, but he's still hating on all the skateboarding stuff and you can tell he's jealous that style took off and made Hawk (and others) uber famous and wealthy while he didn't get that

Ya whatever dude.

Yer talking about the king of the most brutal individual sport ever, and you wanna hear about his shortcomings.

Seems like some The View bullshit if you ask me.

That's what makes it compelling though. The depth and value of the documentary is in those character moments and it does a good job with it (even if it could do just a tiny bit more). If its strictly what you're talking about, that's just checking off career accolades and hitting nostalgia videos. That's about the laziest way to do a doc. It'd be like a low effort book report. This one doesn't go that route and its better for it. I'm just saying it could stand to be a little longer spending a tad more time in certain areas. It'd take a 9 out of 10 doc to a 10 out of 10

I didn't read it as him being the ultimate appreciater. Not the way he was phrasing his comments and body language the entire time. It was more like "Damn, this dude still nice to me even though I've been a piece of shit for decades". He appreciated that, but he's still hating on all the skateboarding stuff and you can tell he's jealous that style took off and made Hawk (and others) uber famous and wealthy while he didn't get that
He was a POS.

I don't know your age, or if you grew up in that scene or era, but "Locals Only" was some real shit. The whole "supportive" movement of skating did not occur til way later. Early on, it was fuck everyone and everything and everyone.

That was the whole point of pointing out Tony's Dad, and how everyone thought he was influencing shit.

Skateboarding was punk. Anarchy.

Duane Peters was real. It's what it was.

Is he lame as fuck NOW? Sure. But we all have normal jobs, and he's just a reject skater from days gone by.

That's what makes it compelling though. The depth and value of the documentary is in those character moments and it does a good job with it (even if it could do just a tiny bit more). If its strictly what you're talking about, that's just checking off career accolades and hitting nostalgia videos. That's about the laziest way to do a doc. It'd be like a low effort book report. This one doesn't go that route and its better for it. I'm just saying it could stand to be a little longer spending a tad more time in certain areas. It'd take a 9 out of 10 doc to a 10 out of 10
I mean..,sure...personal stuff is great, but let's not pretend this is a normal sport. Skateboarding is unequivocally the hardest individual sport, with the most severe repercussions in failure. We sit here and casually discuss it, while these guys have balls the size of fucking grapefruits. Fuck the personal shit, the sport is a story in and of itself, and this guy is the greatest athlete of all time. There is not peer in sight. Fuck Jordan. Fuck Brady. Fuck Ruth.

It is not a debate. The guy is the greatest sportsman of all time. Period.

I guess I just don't feel the late 90's explosion was very pertinent to anything other than his overall net worth.

I thought they did a good job with it.

P.S. The fucking soundtrack was tits.

I believe they dropped a Tony Hawk doc on HBO Max that is supposed to be very good.

@wildturkey @beardown07

I finally watched this today. Fucking amazing!!

I get the point on not spending more time on the blow up in the late 90s, but I got the sense that based on where life went for a while for Tony after that he went all Forrest Gump on that time period (that’s all I have to say about that). His comments on “fame is a drug” came across to me like there is pain and regret around that time period that happened thanks the sports resurgence with the X Games.

Duane Peters….he was an insecure fucking kid. It made him an asshole. He seems to be still struggling with who he was as a younger man to this day, but trying to be better. The story on Tony embracing him when his kid died after he shit talked Tony’s dads death was powerful storytelling.

Aside from all that holy fuck this took me back to the skating days of the late 80s/early 90s. It was really cool to see all the guys….mountain, hosoi, caballero, McGill. Reminds me I’m fucking getting old. These guys were Gods and heroes back then.

Most powerful for me was the talk at the end about taking so much risk at this age. I couldn’t even imagine getting on a board now (of course I haven’t been competing at a high level all my life). That bug, that sickness that Tony has that keeps pushing him is unbelievable. I felt a huge parallel to his dad being so stubborn to not change in his later years.

But, I also get what Lance Mountain said….we are already fucked up and in pain. Why stop now?

I mean..,sure...personal stuff is great, but let's not pretend this is a normal sport. Skateboarding is unequivocally the hardest individual sport, with the most severe repercussions in failure. We sit here and casually discuss it, while these guys have balls the size of fucking grapefruits. Fuck the personal shit, the sport is a story in and of itself, and this guy is the greatest athlete of all time. There is not peer in sight. Fuck Jordan. Fuck Brady. Fuck Ruth.

It is not a debate. The guy is the greatest sportsman of all time. Period.
I would absolutely put his competitive drive up there at the craziest levels with a guy like Jordan. All the best have that thing where their toughest competition is themselves and it drives them to great heights, and often madness too.