Good Documentaries?

I watched the one on Kenny G.
Kept me interested.

They do a very good job on these.
That was a wonder I had last night. I first saw it there and didn’t think I could care enough about Kenny G to enjoy it.

But, now I’m thinking I will like it. They just do that good with these docs.

That was a wonder I had last night. I first saw it there and didn’t think I could care enough about Kenny G to enjoy it.

But, now I’m thinking I will like it. They just do that good with these docs.
Yeah, so, it kind of takes you behind the scenes.
And you get to hear from his critics.
And they are harsh.

I came away that the guy is genuinely a nice guy, does the right thing, is a really good golfer, and essentially had an entire radio format designed after his music (smooth jazz).

Oh yes. Haven’t seen this in a while, but it might be worth a rewatch (pretty rare for me and docs). I just loved this story and all the characters involved.

And they are harsh.

I came away that the guy is genuinely a nice guy, does the right thing, is a really good golfer, and essentially had an entire radio format designed after his music (smooth jazz).
Hearing from his critics….that’s a nice part I have seen them do on all the ones I’ve watched….they show the critical side of it. Woodstock 99 they showed the (apt) critical side, but they also let one of the show promoters continue to try to defend indefensible things. With Alanis they talked in detail about the “angry young woman” backlash that was just so silly then, and more now.

They also do what I think is a fair examination of something from then on the context of now. I don’t see them apologizing for things like all the sexual assaults at Woodstock, or the “angry young woman” backlash against Alanis. They were very clear that the world was different then. It was what it was.

I’m not sure there is such a pressing societal aspect to Kenny G, but I will watch and see. Lol

And they are harsh.

Just watched it while I worked. He is a likable dude. His critics were there and harsh….but I get it (the Globetrotters analogy was pretty apt).

Another good watch, but probably my least liked episode yet.

And they are harsh.

Smooth jazz is most certainly not Kenny G's design.

Not by his design, no.
Okay, you said that Kenny G "essentially had an entire radio format designed after his music (smooth jazz)."

The smooth jazz radio format was not designed after his music. You or anyone else who doesn't know about smooth jazz can get all dramatic and say that, but it's not true.

Okay, you said that Kenny G "essentially had an entire radio format designed after his music (smooth jazz)."

The smooth jazz radio format was not designed after his music. You or anyone else who doesn't know about smooth jazz can get all dramatic and say that, but it's not true.
angry disney GIF

Only read the abstract, but I get where this is going.

Smooth jazz was not created for Kenny G…..it existed. But, it clearly proliferated the genre….whether true smooth jazz fans wants to own it or not.

Kenny G’s music provided a gateway for many to become interested and learn more about the genre. And that should never be a wrong thing, unless one is a smooth jazz snob who was “into it before it was cool”.

Smooth jazz was not created for Kenny G…..it existed. But, it clearly proliferated the genre….whether true smooth jazz fans wants to own it or not.

Kenny G’s music provided a gateway for many to become interested and learn more about the genre. And that should never be a wrong thing, unless one is a smooth jazz snob who was “into it before it was cool”.
It was a money grab.

The documentary focused on what people wanted to listen to, so they created a format for it, slapped a 'smooth jazz' label on it, and just happened to play a lot of Kenny G music. Whether his music is smooth jazz or not is simply not relevant.

But, noise is noise.

It was a money grab.

The documentary focused on what people wanted to listen to, so they created a format for it, slapped a 'smooth jazz' label on it, and just happened to play a lot of Kenny G music. Whether his music is smooth jazz or not is simply not relevant.

But, noise is noise.

☝️ these statements are a far cry from "Kenny G created smooth jazz" which is what I took exception to.

☝️ these statements are a far cry from "Kenny G created smooth jazz" which is what I took exception to.
Which nobody said.

"and essentially had an entire radio format designed after his music (smooth jazz)"

Back