Good Documentaries?

Wasn’t sure if I should mention this in the movies section or here….chose here.

Val on Amazon Prime. It’s actually a really good bio-doc from Val Kilmer. I’ve never disliked Kilmer, so it was easy to watch. He’s pretty fucked up after throat cancer. And while he talks some like a robot his son did the narrating and sounds just like a younger Val. It’s a little weird at first.

Yeah….this guy got a reputation as a pain in the ass artist. But, he is a damn artist. This was very well done and had LOTS of footage from his career that he captured over the years.

Wasn’t sure if I should mention this in the movies section or here….chose here.

Val on Amazon Prime. It’s actually a really good bio-doc from Val Kilmer. I’ve never disliked Kilmer, so it was easy to watch. He’s pretty fucked up after throat cancer. And while he talks some like a robot his son did the narrating and sounds just like a younger Val. It’s a little weird at first.

Yeah….this guy got a reputation as a pain in the ass artist. But, he is a damn artist. This was very well done and had LOTS of footage from his career that he captured over the years.
He was great in a number of things. Didn't realize that some must really not like him.

He was great in a number of things. Didn't realize that some must really not like him.
Honestly, I’m not sure what the real feeling has always been on him out there. I just know the narrative for 25 years has been that he is impossible to work with and one of those weird, diva actors.

I just don’t see it. Never have. He was always mercurial (still is). He was always serious about acting as an art. He went to Juliard (as those serious about the art do). Then he found mainstream success.

At a base level mainstream success doesn’t ever look like it has a downside. So, when someone waves their hand at it people stick the labels on them.

It all started with declining another Batman movie. And….I never blamed him. He talks about it in this doc. It was impossible to act in that suit. Said it was like being locked in concrete. For an actor like him that’s frustrating.

He declined it to go do The Saint, because he liked the idea of playing multiple characters over being locked in latex again. The Saint was not a great movie, but I’ve always thought it was under rated.

At any rate….thanks for the opening to give me chance to expound my thoughts. I never thought he was what his rep became….at least as far as a Hollywood narrative drove it.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, check out "Apollo 11." It consists solely of archival footage from the mission back in '69. Definitely worth watching.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, check out "Apollo 11." It consists solely of archival footage from the mission back in '69. Definitely worth watching.
Where at?

I watched a documentary called "Revenge on the Nazi's" last night. I believe it is a NatGeo production and I couldn't tell you it's availability on Comcast or DirecTV because I stream using fuboTV. It was a pretty interesting 45 minutes (no commercials :yes: ) that featured some of the group of 50 or so eastern European Jews that set out to get revenge on the Nazis after WWII. The 5 or 6 Jews that were interviewwed some years ago for the film were all 90ish years old and most were conflicted about the mission that they set out to accomplish back in the late 40's. This is not to be confused with similarly named movies.

Last edited:
Another good one is a Discovery production called "Everest's Greatest Mystery".

"the documentary will document a team of expert mountaineers as they endeavor to solve the mystery of George Mallory and Andrew Irvine, two explorers who vanished on their journey to summit Mount Everest in 1924.

In 1999, Mallory’s preserved body was discovered by a group of researchers on the north face of the mountain, fueling speculation that the two explorers were indeed the first to successfully summit Earth’s highest mountain before succumbing to the frost. Irvine’s final resting place, however, has never been found.

Everest’s Greatest Mystery will track a team of expert explorers and climbers, led by Jake Norton – one of the climbers who discovered Mallory’s remains – as they journey to the top of Everest to investigate the scene of the tragedy in the hopes of unearthing Irvine’s body, along with the expedition’s famed Kodak camera."

I culled that ^^^ from a web page and it sums it up nicely.

Like the game of Go itself this movie has been recommended to me many many times and has always seemed interesting to me but for some reason I have yet to dive in. Maybe I will dive into both of them :wink:

Like the game of Go itself this movie has been recommended to me many many times and has always seemed interesting to me but for some reason I have yet to dive in. Maybe I will dive into both of them :wink:
Very well worth watching, especially since it's right there on Youtube!

I called this out elsewhere last night in the SpaceX thread, but calling it out here now that I’ve caught up on it.

This docuseries is amazing! I called out in the other thread that it could be saccharine and even pandering after watching one episode. And I’ll keep that call out here. If this is just another example of rich men playing with toys to you than this series will do nothing for you.

Short of that….this is well worth the watch. This wasn’t a “fishing Buddy” mission like Blue Origin was. It’s got a great theme and well thought out in the selection of the four that went up last night.

I didn’t find really anything unlikeable about the four of them at all. And Hayley is just a little dynamo of positive energy. They all have interesting stories. But Hayleys is just the kind of story that can blow you away.

This series production is tight and solid. Top quality following a great story.

One gripe I’m feeling a bit. We aren’t going to get a whole lot of them in space the next few days as Netflix has the rights to a lot of footage. The finale isn’t until 9/30. So that stinks. But, after watching the first four episodes, this is a wait worthwhile to me.

I called this out elsewhere last night in the SpaceX thread, but calling it out here now that I’ve caught up on it.

This docuseries is amazing! I called out in the other thread that it could be saccharine and even pandering after watching one episode. And I’ll keep that call out here. If this is just another example of rich men playing with toys to you than this series will do nothing for you.

Short of that….this is well worth the watch. This wasn’t a “fishing Buddy” mission like Blue Origin was. It’s got a great theme and well thought out in the selection of the four that went up last night.

I didn’t find really anything unlikeable about the four of them at all. And Hayley is just a little dynamo of positive energy. They all have interesting stories. But Hayleys is just the kind of story that can blow you away.

This series production is tight and solid. Top quality following a great story.

One gripe I’m feeling a bit. We aren’t going to get a whole lot of them in space the next few days as Netflix has the rights to a lot of footage. The finale isn’t until 9/30. So that stinks. But, after watching the first four episodes, this is a wait worthwhile to me.
Caught the finale of this tonight. They did a really good job capturing this flight. Not only capturing each of their stories well again, but the really geeky cinematography of the launch and landing were amazing. I think they had a drone offshore that got the most amazing view of the launch.

Look, everyone has their opinions on civilian space travel, or space travel period. I respect that. But this highlighted well that any of us can go do the job….run tests to help push human Spaceflight forward.

There is a good doc on HBO and all its platforms starting up: Music Box.

Think 30 for 30 but with music. And yes, Bill Simmons is involved.

I watched the first one on Woodstock 99 and it is fantastic.

Trigger warning for those that detest looking back 20+ years through the prism of today sometimes noble, sometimes misguided lens….there is a good bit of this. But, it’s mostly around sexual assault, which was a deplorable thing at this event.

They focus on the event, specifically the concept where they tried to imprint the Woodstock “peace love and music” on a new generation, but do it in a contemporary way and line up a bunch of aggressive rock acts.

Mentioned already but the sexual assault that went on there was bad. And, it’s not a super clean situation to settle on, even today. There were so many women there going topless. Did most want to? Sure. Did some feel compelled? Sure. You even had one of the promoters today saying the women shared some responsibility in what happened to them. Yes, it can be that simple, and not that simple at the same time.

Ultimately, they staged this event on an old Air Force base (odd) and the weather was hot and brutal. And that’s what started the chaotic mix. They preached “peace, love and music” but it was a commercial monster. $4 for bottled water when it was 100 out.

I don’t condone the riots and looting that last night, but I get how it landed there. It was just a god damn mess from the word go, that led to this ultimate outcome. They had no clue what these kids wanted and made a mess of it. They had no clue why all these white kids were mad (I’m from that generation and even I still don’t fully know why).

What a mess….wonderfully captured in this doc. Recommend it.

Not necessarily a documentary, but I very much recommend 'Dopesick' on Hulu.
Origins of the opioid crisis and oxycontin.
Not sure how much of the story is historically accurate, but once you get used to the jumps in time, it's a really good 8 episodes.

Twas the Fight Before Christmas was entertaining

There is a good doc on HBO and all its platforms starting up: Music Box.

Think 30 for 30 but with music. And yes, Bill Simmons is involved.

I watched the first one on Woodstock 99 and it is fantastic.

Trigger warning for those that detest looking back 20+ years through the prism of today sometimes noble, sometimes misguided lens….there is a good bit of this. But, it’s mostly around sexual assault, which was a deplorable thing at this event.

They focus on the event, specifically the concept where they tried to imprint the Woodstock “peace love and music” on a new generation, but do it in a contemporary way and line up a bunch of aggressive rock acts.

Mentioned already but the sexual assault that went on there was bad. And, it’s not a super clean situation to settle on, even today. There were so many women there going topless. Did most want to? Sure. Did some feel compelled? Sure. You even had one of the promoters today saying the women shared some responsibility in what happened to them. Yes, it can be that simple, and not that simple at the same time.

Ultimately, they staged this event on an old Air Force base (odd) and the weather was hot and brutal. And that’s what started the chaotic mix. They preached “peace, love and music” but it was a commercial monster. $4 for bottled water when it was 100 out.

I don’t condone the riots and looting that last night, but I get how it landed there. It was just a god damn mess from the word go, that led to this ultimate outcome. They had no clue what these kids wanted and made a mess of it. They had no clue why all these white kids were mad (I’m from that generation and even I still don’t fully know why).

What a mess….wonderfully captured in this doc. Recommend it.
Watched the next episode of Music Box….I’m liking how they do these documentaries. This one was on Alanis Morisette.

I wasn’t super hyped to watch it. I’ve always liked her music and her, but it still didn’t intrigue me greatly.

Those that make this doc didn’t care. It’s done so well it pulled me right in. You can see she still has that Alanis energy. The back story and all the footage was amazingly put together.

Watched the next episode of Music Box….I’m liking how they do these documentaries. This one was on Alanis Morisette.

I wasn’t super hyped to watch it. I’ve always liked her music and her, but it still didn’t intrigue me greatly.

Those that make this doc didn’t care. It’s done so well it pulled me right in. You can see she still has that Alanis energy. The back story and all the footage was amazingly put together.
I watched the one on Kenny G.
Kept me interested.

They do a very good job on these.

Back