Good Documentaries?

Watched The Last Narc today. I was listening to a pod this morning interviewing the guy who directed Operation Odessa. This was another one of his.

I remember the name Kiki Camarena. I remember when he was killed in Mexico and all the shit it stirred up. But, well, there is quite the story left to tell here apparently.

I don’t often buy into conspiracies too much....but this story passed the sniff test to me. DEA agent killed by narcos not only enabled by the Mexican government, but also by the CIA (Iran Contra) and others, including the DEA agent likely interrogated by a CIA asset.

The former DEA guy at the center of this story telling is compelling and credible to me.

It turned out to be a really good watch.

This is a Robbery was very interesting about a big robbery at a Boston museum that I don't remember hearing about as a kid. No real closure was disappointing but it was still good.

Watched The Sons of Sam on Netflix today. I thought it was well done and lays out a solid theory that there was more than Berkowitz out there shooting people.

First episode lays out the events of Son of Sam well, whether it’s a new story for you or a refresher. It also does a good job of laying some of the groundwork for the theory that is fully presented in episode 2.

I’ll leave details to viewing it....but I’ll say this found purchase with me that there was at least one other shooter, part of a group of Satan worshipers with Berkowitz. When it’s laid out that the only thing that kept this from being fully blown open was a police force happy to be the hero and not caring to dig deeper, and a mayor trying to set up for re-election.....then I can certainly see it as a plausible theory.

This is a Robbery was very interesting about a big robbery at a Boston museum that I don't remember hearing about as a kid. No real closure was disappointing but it was still good.

i just finished watching that earlier today. I thought it was very informative.

i just finished watching that earlier today. I thought it was very informative.
I walked away with the impression that some of the people interviewed were full of crap. The reporter who says he saw that painting in the mini-warehouse just seems like BS.

Watched The Sons of Sam on Netflix today. I thought it was well done and lays out a solid theory that there was more than Berkowitz out there shooting people.

First episode lays out the events of Son of Sam well, whether it’s a new story for you or a refresher. It also does a good job of laying some of the groundwork for the theory that is fully presented in episode 2.

I’ll leave details to viewing it....but I’ll say this found purchase with me that there was at least one other shooter, part of a group of Satan worshipers with Berkowitz. When it’s laid out that the only thing that kept this from being fully blown open was a police force happy to be the hero and not caring to dig deeper, and a mayor trying to set up for re-election.....then I can certainly see it as a plausible theory.
This one is next on my list.

We've been watching Rotten, which takes a deep dive into a number of different products and the underlying major issues they cause such as avocados, honey, and sugar. Pretty interesting.

The Process Church?

Rumored to have ties with Manson as well.

The Process Church?

Rumored to have ties with Manson as well.
Yep. I posted this last night and didn’t notice there was more than two episodes. They end up going even deeper with the whole occult thing and it tying to Son of Sam. Charlie is shown as part of that too.

The Process splintered before Son of Sam. But, still an active occult thing. Son of Sam has occult and many participant written all over it, just like Helter Skelter.

Very interesting. They seem to have the same level of omertà and self policing that the mafia has....maybe even better.

Yep. I posted this last night and didn’t notice there was more than two episodes. They end up going even deeper with the whole occult thing and it tying to Son of Sam. Charlie is shown as part of that too.

The Process splintered before Son of Sam. But, still an active occult thing. Son of Sam has occult and many participant written all over it, just like Helter Skelter.

Very interesting. They seem to have the same level of omertà and self policing that the mafia has....maybe even better.
Interesting. A lot of stuff I've listened to or watched shows the whole occult satanic panic was a lot of media and fear driven garbage that had very little basis in reality, but I suppose some of it probably holds up.

Interesting. A lot of stuff I've listened to or watched shows the whole occult satanic panic was a lot of media and fear driven garbage that had very little basis in reality, but I suppose some of it probably holds up.
That’s the thing with the damn media. They spoke very plainly in the doc about how the NY media (so competitive) really showed one of the first instances of tabloid/sell more papers mentality.

Reality as I read it was that the media did indeed sensationalize the hell out of it. But they had to have some base of reality to start with (unlike today). That reality was theoretically fleshed out well by this guy Maury Terry (who has to be on the Mt Rushmore of hair pieces by the way).

That’s the thing with the damn media. They spoke very plainly in the doc about how the NY media (so competitive) really showed one of the first instances of tabloid/sell more papers mentality.

Reality as I read it was that the media did indeed sensationalize the hell out of it. But they had to have some base of reality to start with (unlike today). That reality was theoretically fleshed out well by this guy Maury Terry (who has to be on the Mt Rushmore of hair pieces by the way).
The first instance I remember hearing about was the West Memphis Three guys. The prosecution had this "doctor" who was an expert in the occult and was the key witness to get two of the three guys locked up without any physical evidence. It was pointed out in the trial (I think) that this was pretty much a bs doctorate he got without actually physically attending the university well before legitimate online schooling started (or even the internet). I believe he was used at quite a few trials around the country but he didn't really know jack.

The first instance I remember hearing about was the West Memphis Three guys. The prosecution had this "doctor" who was an expert in the occult and was the key witness to get two of the three guys locked up without any physical evidence. It was pointed out in the trial (I think) that this was pretty much a bs doctorate he got without actually physically attending the university well before legitimate online schooling started (or even the internet). I believe he was used at quite a few trials around the country but he didn't really know jack.
This was the three West Memphis metal heads that killed the little boy? I remember a doc on that if I am remembering the right thing.

Here’s the thing....I think NYPD and the Feds could have cracked open any possible occult conspiracy with the apprehension of Berkowitz. A lot could have been learned that would have led to more accurate reads on occult behavior and crimes....and reduce the impact of such a asshat coming in like a know it all.

But, they didn’t do that. They were fine with the instance of glory and politicians were fine not digging deeper and getting re-elected.

Song as old as time.....

Oh yeah....you might find even more interest in this doc as Minot comes up a good bit as a town, and a place of strong instances of occult behavior.

Gotta be those Air Force satanists.

Oh yeah....you might find even more interest in this doc as Minot comes up a good bit as a town, and a place of strong instances of occult behavior.

Gotta be those Air Force satanists.
Minot? Who cares about Minot?

This was the three West Memphis metal heads that killed the little boy? I remember a doc on that if I am remembering the right thing.

Here’s the thing....I think NYPD and the Feds could have cracked open any possible occult conspiracy with the apprehension of Berkowitz. A lot could have been learned that would have led to more accurate reads on occult behavior and crimes....and reduce the impact of such a asshat coming in like a know it all.

But, they didn’t do that. They were fine with the instance of glory and politicians were fine not digging deeper and getting re-elected.

Song as old as time.....
Well the three who got convicted of killing three boys have since been released after getting a new trial and then doing an Alford Plea. They are still working on getting actual innocence as there is almost no chance they were involved.

Ok....watched the rest (it was actually four episodes). I’ll share some thoughts in the blind.

I am very much aligned with Terry’s theories overall. I think there was more involved. I think they had occult connections. I think the police gave up on an opportunity to follow the evidence and solve some things, and then became ridiculously stubborn against going back. I think I love a good mob story from John Coffey, and I LOVED him jawing back with the press after Berkowitzs arrest. But, didn’t like him so much here with his attempts to talk Terry away.

I believe Berkowitz was fully honest in the 1993 interview, but Terry just tried to steamroll him like an interrogator in the 1997 interview and it cost his credibility.

Back