Good Documentaries?

And just watched the latest Music Box, Mr Saturday Night. It’s about the man who essentially lined up Saturday Night Fever (and Grease), Travolta as a movie star and The Bee Gees comeback.

It was very interesting. I also liked one thing they did…..all the interviews they had they never showed the people talking today. Just their voice and stories over pictures and clips from the time.

I grew up right in the face of this. We owned the Saturday Night Fever double album. The Bee Gees were hot in my earliest memories. I spent a long time growing up disavowing all of it. But, it happened. And this story about the guy that saw the whole thing was very good.

Love this doc series.

14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible

A guy climbs all 14 of the world's mountains that are higher than 8,000 metres in 6 months? Fucking amazing..

A guy climbs all 14 of the world's mountains that are higher than 8,000 metres in 6 months? Fucking amazing..
This reminds me of an old bromide

There are 2 types of people. Those who say "That's a tall mountain" and those that say " That's a deep valley"

This reminds me of an old bromide

There are 2 types of people. Those who say "That's a tall mountain" and those that say " That's a deep valley"
el capitan rock climbing GIF by Madman Films

Free Solo is an excellent documentary on Alex Honnold.
And by free, I mean, no ropes.......

el capitan rock climbing GIF by Madman Films

Free Solo is an excellent documentary on Alex Honnold.
And by free, I mean, no ropes.......
I've seen Free Solo and The Dawn Wall (probably others), but how many of these do we need out there? People climb mountains with an "inspiring" story, got it.

At least one more
as mentioned above, you have 14 peaks, need another, try the Alpinist.

why.png

guy climbs alone, far from the limelight. alone, no cameras... then how the fuck did they make this documentary, with a potato?

View attachment 52641

guy climbs alone, far from the limelight. alone, no cameras... then how the fuck did they make this documentary, with a potato?

Sketch artist makes a flipbook

View attachment 52641

Seen that one too. He's dead now.

I know we talked about this when it was all happening years ago….but came across this doc today that was a comprehensive telling of the whole Boeing Max 8 tragedies and story.

I’ve read about the whole debacle of the ridiculous decision to adapt an existing airframe by putting MCAS on it, then pushing (hard) that it didn’t need full pilot certification and training….but this takes their stonewalling and culpability to another level….they didnt even tell pilots about the system.

A system which “….literally tries to kill you…”. They documented that you have 10 seconds to address it or it’s catastrophic. Imagine how short that time is when you weren’t even fucking told the system existed?

Again, the doc doesn’t shed too much new light not already known, but it does capture the absolutely despicable decisions made by executives only interested in being competitive and growing stock.

Seen “Downfall: The Case Against Boeing” on Netflix yet?

One piece that was new to me anyway….last year the government went after Boeing for their lying to FAA oversight and Boeing agreed to pay $2.5 billion in penalties….to avoid criminal prosecution.

I’m digesting that. Reality is that “criminal prosecution” wouldn’t be shit and that the way to punish these asshats is with billions of dollars.

But, it still pisses me off….

Yes! Watched this a couple of months ago

Yes! Watched this a couple of months ago

A different breed for sure. My nuts were around my ears just watching.

There was another with a young Canuckistanian idiot who scaled things solo and "bare handed".

He's dead out there somewhere, but hey! He has a Netflix video about him!