LeBron/NBA and Their Hypocrisy

Down by 1 and you shoot a low percentage shot from 3 point land? No wonder no one is watching this low IQ brand of ball. The NBA is shit.

It hilarious that ratings are down in every sport, yet people only want to talk about the NBA while ignoring that this stuff started in the NFL. Even the Preakness viewership was down...I guess those "woke" horses kneeling really bothered some folks.

Right now, literally every major sport is either 3-4 weeks into their season or in the playoffs. That's never happened before.

The NHL and the NBA have never had games this time of year unless they were exhibition games. In a normal year, the NBA and NHL would still be about 3 weeks away from starting their seasons.

This isn't nearly as much about politics as some want to paint it.

The main thing driving down ratings is that there are too many choices and people are creatures of habit. We watch football in the fall, basketball and hockey in the winter and spring and baseball in the summer. Not surprising that the 2 sports that are being played out of their normal seasons aren't getting the ratings they normally get.

But hey, Jason Whitlock, among others, got some of you to click on his article. So there's that.

NBA has the biggest drop off and Silver has already said they'll be backing off the politics next season.

Do you block your eyes when the back of the player's jerseys get shown on TV?

Seriously, I know you're positively giddy with the prospect of the Fakers adding a giant asterisk to their trophy case, but to ignore the national and rational backlash to the political bullshit (IE: false narrative BLM trash) seems crazy to me.

lol

I'm an actual sports fan. So, I'm too busy watching the actual game to notice and be offended by other shit. In short, I'm not a snowflake and don't get offended by words on a jersey unless those words are Boston Celtics.

And there's nothing "rational" about the backlash.

Last edited:
NBA has the biggest drop off and Silver has already said they'll be backing off the politics next season.

The plan all along was to back off of the politics after this season. As Silver said, this was a unique situation and to expect a return to normalcy next year. For example, the NBA actually has a rule against kneeling during the anthem that was suspended for this season.

You might also want to check out the article in post #74 re: ratings.

Does it also not stand to reason that a sport that is being played outside of it's normal season would suffer a bigger drop in ratings when going up against 3 other major sports, 2 of which are in their normal season?

Because all sports are happening at the same time, so folks who are diehard fans of a sport and casual fans of another, are going to stick their favorite sport. For example, someone who is a diehard football fan and a casual fan of other sports, isn't going to skip an NFL game for an NBA or MLB game. I'm a Lakers fan and a Dodgers fan, both are in the playoffs. But I'm more of a basketball fan than a baseball fan, so if I have to choose, I'm watching the Lakers. If USC is also playing...I'm watching them over the Lakers or Dodgers.

The only reason hockey's ratings drop isn't worse than the NBA is because they lag behind the NBA in their normal seasons. Literally, only diehard hockey fans are watching. Viewership of NBA playoff games was more than 3x that of the NHL and Stanley Cup viewership was down 61%.

lol

I'm an actual sports fan. So, I'm too busy watching the actual game to notice and be offended by other shit. In short, I'm not a snowflake and don't get offended by words on a jersey unless those words are Boston Celtics.

And there's nothing "rational" about the backlash.
Puhleeze. I have several really large TV's and the names on the jerseys are rather prominent when I watch the games. I'm not offended by the worthless virtue signaling, I'm merely amused by the stupidity of the average young pro athlete.

As for the rational backlash, there is nothing rational about turning the false narrative of the BLM/racial equality crowd into a political hammer to beat people over the head with when the vast majority of them just want to watch a game. Surely you remember "Shut up and sing", well most people want these guys to "Shut up and play".

Down by 1 and you shoot a low percentage shot from 3 point land? No wonder no one is watching this low IQ brand of ball. The NBA is shit.

Basketball is like any other sport, sometimes you have to take what the defense gives you. The defense gave him a wide open 3, he just missed it.

Personally, I'd have liked to see him take a couple of dribbles in since they only needed a 2. But he was wide open and up against the clock. If he tried to do too much, it may have ended up with him or someone else having to take some rushed shot with a defender in his face.

I'm more bothered by who was taking the shot than the shot itself. Danny Green has struggled all playoffs with his 3. If it wasn't going to be Lebron or AD taking that shot, it should have been Rondo (who has a history of hitting big shots) or KCP who was shooting well yesterday.

Puhleeze. I have several really large TV's and the names on the jerseys are rather prominent when I watch the games. I'm not offended by the worthless virtue signaling, I'm merely amused by the stupidity of the average young pro athlete.

lol

Maybe you need smaller tv's so the big mean jersey slogans will be less offensive?

As for the rational backlash, there is nothing rational about turning the false narrative of the BLM/racial equality crowd into a political hammer to beat people over the head with when the vast majority of them just want to watch a game. Surely you remember "Shut up and sing", well most people want these guys to "Shut up and play".

Yep, claiming a bunch of athletes that you claim are too stupid to listen to are using something you don't agree with as a "political hammer" is the very definition of "rational". lol

As I've said all along, I'm not a fan of some of the stuff that's been done and will be glad when the leagues return to something closer to normal. I'm just not going to allow politics to dictate my entertainment choices.

lol

Maybe you need smaller tv's so the big mean jersey slogans will be less offensive?

Yep, claiming a bunch of athletes that you claim are too stupid to listen to are using something you don't agree with as a "political hammer" is the very definition of "rational". lol

As I've said all along, I'm not a fan of some of the stuff that's been done and will be glad when the leagues return to something closer to normal. I'm just not going to allow politics to dictate my entertainment choices.
You keep pretending that I'm offended and that I'm letting these dummies dictate my entertainment choices when I never said any such thing.

You keep pretending that I'm offended and that I'm letting these dummies dictate my entertainment choices when I never said any such thing.

You're the one on here crying about politics in a sport you "don't watch".

Trust me when I tell you that I'll never support American pro sports again.

Went from a hopeless addict, spending tens of thousands a year on TV and live sports to refusing to ever watch it again and it all started with Colin Kaepernick.

Big dumb violent athletes thinking they're in a position to preach their brand of "social change" to us. Right.

Me cutting pro sports out of my life has been one of the best things I've ever done to improve my life. I highly recommend it.
LOL I agree with you that Kap started all this shit but if you are true fan you can tune out all the other noise. It’s really just an excuse. I dont want pregame or postgame or any show talking about the politics. It’s simple, it helps playing fantasy football for NFL too. Bottomline: Once in a while in a NBA game they would mention politics or other shit but every other sport is pretty much clean of all that. It doesn’t affect your ability to watch the game imo

LOL I agree with you that Kap started all this shit but if you are true fan you can tune out all the other noise. It’s really just an excuse. I dont want pregame or postgame or any show talking about the politics. It’s simple, it helps playing fantasy football for NFL too. Bottomline: Once in a while in a NBA game they would mention politics or other shit but every other sport is pretty much clean of all that. It doesn’t affect your ability to watch the game imo
I was a true fan of the Lakers from Showtime through Shaq. Now? They make me sick. In no way shape or form do the Lakers resemble anything I stand for. Never again.

How about Ali and the Cleveland Summit

Sure some went to convince him to change his mind but others supported his resolve (such as Bill Russell)

We seem to like to pretend this stuff never happened before. I think for whatever reason we have become even more sensitive. It's working counter to where we should be going.

Not saying we need sayings on a jersey (I actually thought that was overkill) but I also don't see the big deal with some small form of demonstration.

How about Ali and the Cleveland Summit

Sure some went to convince him to change his mind but others supported his resolve (such as Bill Russell)

We seem to like to pretend this stuff never happened before. I think for whatever reason we have become even more sensitive. It's working counter to where we should be going.

Not saying we need sayings on a jersey (I actually thought that was overkill) but I also don't see the big deal with some small form of demonstration.

It seems like it's more, largely because of social media and 24 hour news cycles.

Prior to all of that, you heard about something (often times a few days after it already happened) maybe talk about it with a few friends and then you'd move on.

Now, stuff can be talked about for weeks or months with hundreds of thousand weighing in on it.

People, especially famous people, can get their thoughts out to a lot more people than ever before. It's why I won't allow politics to determine my entertainment. It's easy enough to avoid/ignore the stuff that I don't want to be bothered with/have heard enough of, without having to give up watching.

Last edited:
It seems like it's more, largely because of social media and 24 hour news cycles.

Prior to all of that, you heard about something (often times a few days after it already happened) maybe talk about it with a few friends and then you'd move on.

Now, stuff can be talked about for weeks or months with hundreds of thousand weighing in on it.

People, especially famous people, can get their thoughts out to a lot more people than ever before. It's why I won't allow politics to determine my entertainment. It's easy enough to avoid/ignore the stuff that I don't want to be bothered with/have heard enough of, without having to give up watching.

And sorry to insinuate that on Magic. I know that's your guy but given the way the world works now that would have been an even uglier situation than it was. Sucks he had to endure some of the comments.

As you say the 24/7 cycle is a different animal

The plan all along was to back off of the politics after this season. As Silver said, this was a unique situation and to expect a return to normalcy next year. For example, the NBA actually has a rule against kneeling during the anthem that was suspended for this season.

You might also want to check out the article in post #74 re: ratings.

Does it also not stand to reason that a sport that is being played outside of it's normal season would suffer a bigger drop in ratings when going up against 3 other major sports, 2 of which are in their normal season?

Because all sports are happening at the same time, so folks who are diehard fans of a sport and casual fans of another, are going to stick their favorite sport. For example, someone who is a diehard football fan and a casual fan of other sports, isn't going to skip an NFL game for an NBA or MLB game. I'm a Lakers fan and a Dodgers fan, both are in the playoffs. But I'm more of a basketball fan than a baseball fan, so if I have to choose, I'm watching the Lakers. If USC is also playing...I'm watching them over the Lakers or Dodgers.

The only reason hockey's ratings drop isn't worse than the NBA is because they lag behind the NBA in their normal seasons. Literally, only diehard hockey fans are watching. Viewership of NBA playoff games was more than 3x that of the NHL and Stanley Cup viewership was down 61%.
The article in post #74 is why you shouldn't read Yahoo for their sports insights. At the time that was written the "MLB playoffs" were in the middle of their special wild card play-in round, so not sure how you get YoY ratings drops since this year was the only time that has happened. The Stanley Cup finals TV ratings were down 38%, not the 61% that guy claims. The NHL as a whole saw very little ratings drop and the NFL saw a lower YoY drop so far than we saw in 2019 vs 2018. The guy that wrote it had a SJW slant he wanted to push and used the NBA ratings in a couple of paragraphs to do so.

No other league saw a 50% decline in ratings. none. And they all have COVID to deal with. CFB is almost outdrawing NBA ratings.

The article in post #74 is why you shouldn't read Yahoo for their sports insights. At the time that was written the "MLB playoffs" were in the middle of their special wild card play-in round, so not sure how you get YoY ratings drops since this year was the only time that has happened. The Stanley Cup finals TV ratings were down 38%, not the 61% that guy claims. The NHL as a whole saw very little ratings drop and the NFL saw a lower YoY drop so far than we saw in 2019 vs 2018. The guy that wrote it had a SJW slant he wanted to push and used the NBA ratings in a couple of paragraphs to do so.

No other league saw a 50% decline in ratings. none. And they all have COVID to deal with. CFB is almost outdrawing NBA ratings.

lol

If you don't like the message, discredit the messenger.

I guess we're going to just ignore facts like sports being played outside of their normal season competing against sports that are in their normal season since it doesn't fit the narrative.

If you want to give up sports altogether or certain sports over politics...that's your choice.

Just seems snowflakey to me since it's pretty easy to ignore all of those messages, etc. that some folks find so offensive.