Little shit

Finished off my spare tire deal. Got in touch with a local wrecker, and purchased a 16" rim, for a spare. The guy that sold it to me, shipped from reno to their sister company here. He told me" you know this is only the rim right?" I told I knew, and that I would get a tire. Went and picked that bitch, had a damn near brand new tire on that bitch! Hell Yeah!

Painted it to match the other rims, and hung that fucker today. Went it like a breeze. View attachment 51332View attachment 51333
Looks good, might have made life easier using pillow blocks instead of trying to set bearings in the frame rail.

Brake booster went out, and when I pulled it, the master cylinder has a small leak. Looks like Saturday is a full brake fluid flush and booster MC installation day.
Can't recommend renting the pistol style one man brake bleeding gun enough. Screw doing the pump-pump-hold, twist, open, close, repeat process all the way around.

Can't recommend renting the pistol style one man brake bleeding gun enough. Screw doing the pump-pump-hold, twist, open, close, repeat process all the way around.
My surrogate son wants to help me bleed the brakes. He is just starting to get into mechanical work and got a job at a delaership working as a mechanic helper. I have the bleeder kit with a check valve built in, and it works pretty good. However, the thought of making him lay on the ground and do it the hard way first sounds too good to pass up. Then on the last line, I'll show him that gadget.

Also finally broke down and bought the OEM dash replacement pad. Was going to try and refurbish the old one, and try doing fiberglass/vinyl for the first time, but I just dont want to. Almost 300 bucks for a 4 inch strip of foam and vinyl. Should be in today. Saturday should be a decent day to have a couple beers with the kid and bust some balls.

pad35b_1.3120.jpg

Looks good, might have made life easier using pillow blocks instead of trying to set bearings in the frame rail.
I dont know what pillow blocks are, but the bearings have an offset inner ring. So the outer part of the bearing rides against the frame, and the inner shaft doesnt touch anything but the rod. Hardest part was just trying to make it serviceable if I got wrapped up in something, or it got damaged. Truth be told, there probably didnt need to be anything there, for as many times as it will actually get used.

My surrogate son wants to help me bleed the brakes. He is just starting to get into mechanical work and got a job at a delaership working as a mechanic helper. I have the bleeder kit with a check valve built in, and it works pretty good. However, the thought of making him lay on the ground and do it the hard way first sounds too good to pass up. Then on the last line, I'll show him that gadget.

Also finally broke down and bought the OEM dash replacement pad. Was going to try and refurbish the old one, and try doing fiberglass/vinyl for the first time, but I just dont want to. Almost 300 bucks for a 4 inch strip of foam and vinyl. Should be in today. Saturday should be a decent day to have a couple beers with the kid and bust some balls.

pad35b_1.3120.jpg
The replacement doesn't come with the stupid 6x9 speaker cutout? Brilliant! On my 84 I was pretty happy that even though I bought a clapped out truck for $700 and everything on it was trashed, the dash wasn't punched out. My idiot buddy hopped in and said "Man, never seen one of these that this part right here wasn't busted out" and proceeded to tap it and knock a hole in. That was the day my buddy learned how to walk his ass home. :L

I dont know what pillow blocks are, but the bearings have an offset inner ring. So the outer part of the bearing rides against the frame, and the inner shaft doesnt touch anything but the rod. Hardest part was just trying to make it serviceable if I got wrapped up in something, or it got damaged. Truth be told, there probably didnt need to be anything there, for as many times as it will actually get used.
1652369077104.png
Super simple to grease and change if you ever do wear one out.

The replacement doesn't come with the stupid 6x9 speaker cutout? Brilliant! On my 84 I was pretty happy that even though I bought a clapped out truck for $700 and everything on it was trashed, the dash wasn't punched out. My idiot buddy hopped in and said "Man, never seen one of these that this part right here wasn't busted out" and proceeded to tap it and knock a hole in. That was the day my buddy learned how to walk his ass home. :facepalm:
My friend had a shitty little chevy car of some kind. One day while waiting in his car for him to do something, I found that if you push on the ceiling upholstery, it would retain whatever shape you pressed into it. So I made a giant dick on his ceiling. Wasnt until about a week later the entire headliner fabric was falling from the ceiling. It was like when you played with a parachute in elementary school. He wasnt happy.

OKAY, I guess I do know what they are, just not by name.
I think they are also linear bearings? When we would order them at the shop Hillman called em pillow blocks and it stuck with me. Pretty much can't easily build a go kart without em.

Got my new dash pad.

Before

20211104_173857.jpg

After

20220514_125938.jpg

Almost no difference. I actually had a unexpected surprise from painting the dash white. Across the top of the dash, there is a white strip across, between two black sections. I'll get a pic tomorrow. You only see black from inside, but from the outside, it looks kind of cool.

Redid the fuel filler hose, and breather line, on my old Ford. Even bought a new gas cap. Fixed a window crank, properly, and bought all the last of the rubber window and door seals. Going to be ready to paint soon.

Redid the fuel filler hose, and breather line, on my old Ford. Even bought a new gas cap. Fixed a window crank, properly, and bought all the last of the rubber window and door seals. Going to be ready to paint soon.

That truck kicks ass, Petey. Nice work.

However, what is a "surrogate son" and how do you have one?

That truck kicks ass, Petey. Nice work.

However, what is a "surrogate son" and how do you have one?
He is a best friend of my son, that happens to be the nephew of a girl I grew up with, and her sister is a certified skitzo, and the grand parents raising him moved into a house five doors down from my first house I bought, and grew up in my house for a good percentage of his life, and told my wife and Iultiple times that he wished we could be his parents, and I coached him and my son in football, and lacrosse, and he comes to me with any problems or successes he has, and knows that we love him like a son.
Best part is, he is a good dad now.

Speaking of...............we just had a sewage line back up into one of the buildings here at work. I saw the very thing on the carpet.

Been really tinkering with my old ford, now that I have time and money, and my kids are basically grown. Was fucking with the doors. Some asshole cut 6x9s into the front doors, and cut right into the panels doing it. Had to weld in some sheet metal, grind and bondo it. bought some new panels and paint the doors. the rear doors were good and just cleaned up the panels, and painted.

View attachment 27087View attachment 27088View attachment 27089View attachment 27090View attachment 27091
Love those trucks! 77? 78?