Most loyal B1G fan bases

Don't think there's any question Nebraska is #1. They've been putting up with bad/mediocre play for awhile now and still going pretty strong.

Ohio State is tough to judge. Even during the darkest times when they couldn't beat Michigan in the 90s they still won a lot of games. Seems like they only have 1-3 tough years at the most then bounce back. They have also been really fortunate with coach hires.

Think I'd have Penn State at #2. Those people get crazy and they adamantly defended the school even during a giant pedo scandal. If that's not blind loyalty I don't know what is
That is what i was going to say -- how is PSU not #1. Their coach was a pedophile, raping little boys in the football showers and they still defended the school. I think that trumps Nebraska backing a shitty product for a couple decades and handing out tickets to orphans.

The thing about Nebraska is that they travel well, also. Always liked seeing them on the home schedule. Good for filling the stadium and scalpers.

@ Notre Dame

5e87653d51f95.image.jpg

It's more than that. I was at the game in 2016 when Ohio State absolutely humiliated them 62-3. Not a single Nebraska fan around me left that game early.
I have to disagree here. I was at the 2018 game against Nebraska at the Big House. They had a section where Nebraska fans sat. It was full when the game started. It was 39-0 at the half and the section was almost empty when the 3rd quarter started. It got to 46-0 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter and there was no Nebraska fans to be found in that section.

I will vote for Nebraska fans as the nicest out of any B1G fans. We had a bunch tailgate with us on the golf course before the game and they were as nice as can be.

That is what i was going to say -- how is PSU not #1. Their coach was a pedophile, raping little boys in the football showers and they still defended the school. I think that trumps Nebraska backing a shitty product for a couple decades and handing out tickets to orphans.
IDk I remember that stadium being fairly empty in those days...well...at least emptier than usual.

If you aren’t going to be competitive, you might as well be loyal.

I have a hard time saying Nebraska when they are the only FBS program and no NFL team. When I went to York, nobody seemed to be a Nebraska basketball fan. Creighton was good and Nebraska sucked.

I think if there was a successful G5 team in Nebraska, that loyalty would not be as strong.

I would say fans of teams like Indiana and Purdue, who also have Notre Dame and NFL.

I say Iowa is quite loyal, but I wouldn't put them Top 3 on this list.
You are being way too objective and logical. We can't have that stuff here on the hoop.

How do you quantify loyalty?
About to have your 6th straight losing season and getting 70k+ at your spring game.

That's either loyalty or stupidity. They've made A LOT of money from being really shitty lately.

About to have your 6th straight losing season and getting 70k+ at your spring game.

That's either loyalty or stupidity. They've made A LOT of money from being really shitty lately.
You guys have the right coach now.

Let's be honest -- outside of University of Nebraska sports, what do people in the state of Nebraska have to cheer for or attend their games?

Michigan doesn't get a lot of people to go to their Spring Game, but they also have the Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings all playing within 30 minutes of Ann Arbor. If Michigan football was the only ticket in town, I'm sure they'd be filled up as well.

And as someone who has had season tickets at some point in time for the Lions and Tigers -- I know ALL ABOUT being really shitty. I was a season ticket holder when the Lions went 0-16. That was painful.

Let's be honest -- outside of University of Nebraska sports, what do people in the state of Nebraska have to cheer for or attend their games?

Michigan doesn't get a lot of people to go to their Spring Game, but they also have the Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings all playing within 30 minutes of Ann Arbor. If Michigan football was the only ticket in town, I'm sure they'd be filled up as well.

And as someone who has had season tickets at some point in time for the Lions and Tigers -- I know ALL ABOUT being really shitty. I was a season ticket holder when the Lions went 0-16. That was painful.

What is with the Michigan fans trying desperately to downplay Nebraska's loyalty to their program?

Everyone else's fans: Nebraska definitely has extreme loyalty through their struggles (we may crack an orphan joke)

Michigan fans: but but but less seats! There isn't anything even to do in Nebraska!

At the lowest point of Michigan's struggles they were giving away tickets with a can of pop

At Nebraska's low points they have boosters buying thousands of extra tickets to ensure a sell out steak stays active.

# of Games / Records of current B1G members, when I have seen them play in person:

32: Northwestern Wildcats (15-17)
23: Iowa Hawkeyes (14-9)
18: Ohio State Buckeyes (13-5)
10: Michigan State Spartans (4-6)
08: Michigan Wolverines (3-5)
07: Minnesota Golden Gophers (4-3)
07: Purdue Boilermakers (3-4)
06: Illinois Illini (1-5)
05: Wisconsin Badgers (3-2)
04: Penn State Nittany Lions (3-1)
04: Indiana Hoosiers (1-3)

Mixed Results:

07: Nebraska Cornhuskers (6-1)...(1-0) as a B1G Team and (5-1) as a Big 8 / Xii Team
03: Maryland Terrapins (1-2)...(0-1) as a B1G Team and (1-1) as an ACC Team

Have not seen play as a B1G Team:

03: Rutgers Scarlet Knights (1-2)...(0-0) as a B1G team and (1-2) as a Big East Team

Pending:

10: U.S.C. Trojans (6-4)
07: U.C.L.A. Bruins (5-2)

Last edited:
As a complementary question, which team attracts the most bandwagoners?

I would think most colleges in a more metro setting would have their share of bandwagoners when they are doing well.

As for who has the most right now? I'd think Bama, Georgia, or maybe Ohio State bc they are three of the most successful right now. This isn't to say they don't have their fair share of loyal fans, but generally teams with an insane amount of success like Bama has had over the past 15 years or so are going to have the most bandwagon fans

It's more than that. I was at the game in 2016 when Ohio State absolutely humiliated them 62-3. Not a single Nebraska fan around me left that game early.

In 2019, when Michigan lost badly in Ann Arbor that stadium was empty of Wolverine fans. Thousands of Ohio State fans were there doing their stadium cheer.

It takes a different type of fan to sit there and watch your team get crushed
Oof. I was at that one (and spent a lot of money to get there). I also went to the beating the following year in the pouring rain. I was thinking about it recently…I think the last time I saw Nebraska win in person was 2015 Michigan State. That was nearly EIGHT YEARS ago now.

Oof. I was at that one (and spent a lot of money to get there). I also went to the beating the following year in the pouring rain. I was thinking about it recently…I think the last time I saw Nebraska win in person was 2015 Michigan State. That was nearly EIGHT YEARS ago now.
You didn't wear a big corn outfit did you? There was a guy in a big corn outfit a few rows away from me that me and my friends were talking to

You didn't wear a big corn outfit did you? There was a guy in a big corn outfit a few rows away from me that me and my friends were talking to
Ha no I typically stay pretty low key. I don’t remember exactly but I was probably wearing a red Husker polo.