Musicans/players all porpoise check in and bullshit thread

What's your go-to DAW?

Me? I'm now a Pro Tools convert. I started out with Cakewalk/Sonar, dabbled with Cubase, swung over to Mixcraft (still the best bang for the buck), and am now a certified Pro Tool'er.

What's your go-to DAW?

Me? I'm now a Pro Tools convert. I started out with Cakewalk/Sonar, dabbled with Cubase, swung over to Mixcraft (still the best bang for the buck), and am now a certified Pro Tool'er.
GarageBand, cuz I’m a basic bitch. I actually really miss my old tascam 4 track (analog), which became a tascam 8 track and then 6 track (digital). But with modern iPad technology, I just can’t justify keeping one around.

I used Garageband on my iPaid. It's actually not that bad. In fact, there's some youtube video out there of a recording engineer recording a song using nothing more than GB and an iphoney. The results are somewhat impressive.

I used Garageband on my iPaid. It's actually not that bad. In fact, there's some youtube video out there of a recording engineer recording a song using nothing more than GB and an iphoney. The results are somewhat impressive.
Yeah, I saw that, or one like it. Dude even just used the iPhone mic, the results he got were mind blowing.

Yeah, I saw that, or one like it. Dude even just used the iPhone mic, the results he got were mind blowing.
It was Graham Cochrane from The Recording Revolution. For anyone wanting to do some home recording and achieve pro results, there is nobody I can recommend more. And his youtube vids are free.

It was Graham Cochrane from The Recording Revolution. For anyone wanting to do some home recording and achieve pro results, there is nobody I can recommend more. And his youtube vids are free.
I’ll check them out. Good timing, because I want to start recording more. I’ve pretty much only ever used whatever recording stuff I have at my disposal to get ideas saved or mess around, but the bands I play with both want to start recording practices and doing our own rough demos, at least for practical practice purposes.

I seem the most interested in taking it on, but anytime I’ve ever tried to record a band in the past it’s gone horribly bad. Both because I don’t really know what I’m doing and don’t have the necessary equipment to do it right. And there’s always a loud ass drummer involved that everyone has to match volume wise in not large spaces.

Don’t have high hopes, but gonna try...

I’ll check them out. Good timing, because I want to start recording more. I’ve pretty much only ever used whatever recording stuff I have at my disposal to get ideas saved or mess around, but the bands I play with both want to start recording practices and doing our own rough demos, at least for practical practice purposes.

I seem the most interested in taking it on, but anytime I’ve ever tried to record a band in the past it’s gone horribly bad. Both because I don’t really know what I’m doing and don’t have the necessary equipment to do it right. And there’s always a loud ass drummer involved that everyone has to match volume wise in not large spaces.

Don’t have high hopes, but gonna try...

This is a great starting point; 6 part series....

Not sure where you're at but RR has plenty of tutorials on mic placement and how to get a room to sound flat without having to invest any money.
Awesome. That’s exactly what I need. And probably some decent mics.

Awesome. That’s exactly what I need. And probably some decent mics.
Three hundred popular mics you can A/B

Three hundred popular mics you can A/B

Gonna get a tascam dp008 (do the thing I said I couldn’t justify), and see if I can pick up some usable sounds with the onboard mics, and that’s about all the effort I’m putting into it, I decided.

Gonna get a tascam dp008 (do the thing I said I couldn’t justify), and see if I can pick up some usable sounds with the onboard mics, and that’s about all the effort I’m putting into it, I decided.

I almost bought the Izotope Spire Studio, a couple of years ago. But instead, I opted to turn my daughter's old bedroom into a home recording studio. At that point, for me, the functionality of having something portable wasn't really a factor anymore. I invested in a gaming laptop and a 6 mic input Presonus soundcard.

About 10 years ago, my brother lent me his Roland portable studio and I loved that thing. You can definitely get decent recordings out of portable studio recorders. The newer ones, you can save to a .wav file and mix on your computer if you're so inclined.

I almost bought the Izotope Spire Studio, a couple of years ago. But instead, I opted to turn my daughter's old bedroom into a home recording studio. At that point, for me, the functionality of having something portable wasn't really a factor anymore. I invested in a gaming laptop and a 6 mic input Presonus soundcard.

About 10 years ago, my brother lent me his Roland portable studio and I loved that thing. You can definitely get decent recordings out of portable studio recorders. The newer ones, you can save to a .wav file and mix on your computer if you're so inclined.
I had the dp008 a few years ago and really liked it, I remember the onboard mics being pretty solid, so I figure I’ll be able to trim it enough to avoid too much clipping for decent practice tracks, or not. Either way I’ll be glad to have the little portastudio sitting around again, especially for the deal I’m getting on it.

I just wish there were multitrack recorders in that price range with more than two inputs, but even interfaces in the hobbyist price range seem to max out at two inputs, so whatevs.

I can't read music, but I see y'all have a bass player already. I am deaf and can barely read at all, so do y'all need a drummer?

I can't read music, but I see y'all have a bass player already. I am deaf and can barely read at all, so do y'all need a drummer?

I think the plan is still to go with drum loops, both live and in studio. I do, however, like how you're trying to turn your deafness into a positive.