Musicans/players all porpoise check in and bullshit thread

What's your go-to DAW?

Me? I'm now a Pro Tools convert. I started out with Cakewalk/Sonar, dabbled with Cubase, swung over to Mixcraft (still the best bang for the buck), and am now a certified Pro Tool'er.

I started out with a Tascam 4 track and then torrented Cakewalk back in the day. I don't record much any more, but when I do, I still fire up Cakewalk. Sonar X2 still works just fine for my needs.

I think the plan is still to go with drum loops, both live and in studio. I do, however, like how you're trying to turn your deafness into a positive.
A friend of mine on another board plays guitar for a preforming band and told me the line "if you cant read music play bass and if you just can't read, play drums". I have been waiting for a long time to work that into a conservation. BTW I am slightly less musically talented than Rozanne Barr.

I started out with a Tascam 4 track and then torrented Cakewalk back in the day. I don't record much any more, but when I do, I still fire up Cakewalk. Sonar X2 still works just fine for my needs.

BTW - Cakewalk Sonar X2 is now a free download!

If you don't have a DAW and are thinking about getting one, I suggest starting with that one. If you run into issues, you'll at least have two people - moi and PJ - who can possibly offer some assistance if you get stumped.

A friend of mine on another board plays guitar for a preforming band and told me the line "if you cant read music play bass and if you just can't read, play drums". I have been waiting for a long time to work that into a conservation. BTW I am slightly less musically talented than Rozanne Barr.

Do you play an instrument?

Not at all. I have zero musical aptitude. My wife plays piano, guitar and banjo.

FWIW - it's never too late to take up an instrument, and, anyone can get pretty proficient on one if they so desire, no matter what the age.
I think this, "you have to be born with the gift" mentality is mostly myth. Lots of great guitarist didn't even know a lick until they were in their late teens. Maybe to be a technical genius, you have to start playing your instrument at about 3 months of age; for everyone else, it doesn't really matter.

I started playing guitar (horribly) at age 18. I was told by a plethora of people that I had no talent and should probably find something else to occupy my time. Well, at age 27, I was accepted into the Musicians Institute of Technology in Hollywood, CA. A few years later, I released a solo jazz guitar CD that got airplay from places like Kiev, Ukraine, all the way to Puerto Rico. David Foster's sister bought one of my CD's; music from it has been used as the background music for a number of pubs and spas.

My point here is that ANYONE can do this if that's what they have in mind. If your goal is just to play an instrument and have some fun with it; put it some work and you'll be there. If your goal is to find success as a musician, but in more work (a lot more) and you'll be there, too.

FWIW - it's never too late to take up an instrument, and, anyone can get pretty proficient on one if they so desire, no matter what the age.
I think this, "you have to be born with the gift" mentality is mostly myth. Lots of great guitarist didn't even know a lick until they were in their late teens. Maybe to be a technical genius, you have to start playing your instrument at about 3 months of age; for everyone else, it doesn't really matter.

I started playing guitar (horribly) at age 18. I was told by a plethora of people that I had no talent and should probably find something else to occupy my time. Well, at age 27, I was accepted into the Musicians Institute of Technology in Hollywood, CA. A few years later, I released a solo jazz guitar CD that got airplay from places like Kiev, Ukraine, all the way to Puerto Rico. David Foster's sister bought one of my CD's; music from it has been used as the background music for a number of pubs and spas.

My point here is that ANYONE can do this if that's what they have in mind. If your goal is just to play an instrument and have some fun with it; put it some work and you'll be there. If your goal is to find success as a musician, but in more work (a lot more) and you'll be there, too.
I have earnestly tried twice to learn to play music. Once back in school I took band and tried the trombone and when I was recovering from surgery in the Navy a friend tried to help me learn the guitar. It really was like two monkeys fucking a football. You are right that I could have probably worked through that but the ROI was just too small for me ... I would have had to put in time/effort like a studio musician in Nashville just to be a really bad amateur. I really am not deaf but I do have a pretty bad hearing loss. New music is almost like Sanskrit to me ... I can't pick up the melodies. On the bright side, this has lead me to really explore Delta blues to the point of listening to a lot of Lomax recordings through the Smithsonian.

I’ve never been able to read music. Every song I ever learned to play was by ear. Always tuned by ear too. The fiddle is the only instrument I ever made anything original with, and it was just what I thought sounded good.

That’s awesome! You should pm me a link to your stuff, if you don’t want to post in the open.

That’s awesome! You should pm me a link to your stuff, if you don’t want to post in the open.

The last place I remember posting any guitar material was at mp3unsigned.com. It looks like it's down now. I'll try and see if I can find anything else.

Here's a link to an article I was mentioned in (3rd paragraph down):

The last place I remember posting any guitar material was at mp3unsigned.com. It looks like it's down now. I'll try and see if I can find anything else.

Here's a link to an article I was mentioned in (3rd paragraph down):

That’s awesome dude! If you wanna share keyboard stuff, I’d check that out too.

Good stuff. Do you do it all with keyboards?

Thanks.

Pretty much all keyboards. I used a Moog and a Dave Smith Prophet REV2 for most of the synths sounds; Ample Bass J and Acoustic Samples Fretless for the bass samples; VB3 for the organ; and Lounge Lizard for the Rhodes keys. The drums were loops.