National Electric Highway Coalition plans coast-to-coast, EV-charging network

He's actually a very conservative fellow form Nebraska. He's also had a PHD in micro processors. His Wife is a bank exec. No he's just into tech. Besides the charger he has the Tesla roof and battery packs
Lies galore. No one interesting is ever from Nebraska.

This tech just isn't there yet if you have to pause in the middle of a trip to charge for 30 minutes. Yeah, these things aren't just golf carts, but they're not a full replacement for cars if long trips aren't possible without a massive time buffer built in.
I disagree. That is reasonable to me. If you stop and get lunch while on a roadtrip, you plug the car in and wait. Not that big a deal.

I disagree. That is reasonable to me. If you stop and get lunch while on a roadtrip, you plug the car in and wait. Not that big a deal.
Not if it’s 8:30 PM or 2 AM. It’s not a one-for-one replacement of cars, if a 5-10 minute gas refueling becomes 30 minutes of charging time. If traveling significant distances now requires extra time to be allotted for the trip and the paradigm has changed, then admit it.

Not if it’s 8:30 PM or 2 AM. It’s not a one-for-one replacement of cars, if a 5-10 minute gas refueling becomes 30 minutes of charging time. If traveling significant distances now requires extra time to be allotted for the trip and the paradigm has changed, then admit it.
why wouldn't I admit it? Of course it does.

but it is also saving you $50+ dollars to sit and let the car charge for a half hour.

so up to you.

I get it isn't for everyone but it's becoming better and better as the tech improves

why wouldn't I admit it? Of course it does.

but it is also saving you $50+ dollars to sit and let the car charge for a half hour.

so up to you.

I get it isn't for everyone but it's becoming better and better as the tech improves
What-? Where did you get the idea that the charge is free? Tesla charges $22 / 30 min charge / 250 mi, though maybe that cost falls a bit. Electricity ain’t free though.

Again, it’s the 30 minutes to wait for the charge that’s the big change. Rest stops would need to grow to accommodate the larger number of people waiting.

What-? Where did you get the idea that the charge is free? Tesla charges $22 / 30 min charge / 250 mi, though maybe that cost falls a bit. Electricity ain’t free though.

Again, it’s the 30 minutes to wait for the charge that’s the big change. Rest stops would need to grow to accommodate the larger number of people waiting.
guess I always figured they were free, may bad.

that's part of the infrastructure bill, installing more chargers across the country.

and you are still saving money with a 30 minute charge

that's part of the infrastructure bill, installing more chargers across the country.

I’m not talking about the installation costs of the charging stations. Yes- those can be subsidized by the infrastructure bill (though that’s not “free” either).

The electrical current being used as fuel is charged at the point-of-use, at a minimum, which the driver will pay.

As for being cheaper than gas cars to refuel, I don’t know. Today’s prices, it would certainly seem so. But the electric cars themselves, are much more expensive. Perhaps it’s made up in lowered maintenance costs, but the main appeal of the change is, and always has been, that it’s more environmentally friendly. Assuming that the extra power required to produce all the electricity needed to power cars doesn’t come from more coal- or oil-fired power plants, it would make for cleaner air, reduced greenhouse gases, etc.

Assuming that the extra power required to produce all the electricity needed to power cars doesn’t come from more coal- or oil-fired power plants, it would make for cleaner air, reduced greenhouse gases, etc.
yawn...so tired of this "excuse"

you won't even notice the change there.

and if things more forward with nuclear as Biden is planning, we should be improving on that.

Coal and oil fired plants are going bye bye one by one.

yawn...so tired of this "excuse"

you won't even notice the change there.

and if things more forward with nuclear as Biden is planning, we should be improving on that.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Take a guess on how many years it takes a new nuclear plant to receive regulatory approval and be built. The last one was built in 2016, and it was the first to come online in 20 years.

Not to mention the irrational disdain the Left has had for nuclear power, despite it being arguably “greener” than wind power.

The power has to come from somewhere, or else the equation changes because more people take the train or work from home or something. Electric cars are the promise of cleaner transit, but replacing gas vehicles comes with major costs, as well as lifestyle changes. Sorry if that’s embarrassing or inconvenient for you.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Take a guess on how many years it takes a new nuclear plant to receive regulatory approval and be built. The last one was built in 2016, and it was the first to come online in 20 years.

Not to mention the irrational disdain the Left has had for nuclear power, despite it being arguably “greener” than wind power.

The power has to come from somewhere, or else the equation changes because more people take the train or work from home or something. Electric cars are the promise of cleaner transit, but replacing gas vehicles comes with major costs, as well as lifestyle changes. Sorry if that’s embarrassing or inconvenient for you.
I work at a nuclear plant and have been involved in advocating for new nuclear for a while now, so I am well aware....but I appreciate you looking into it for me

and the left does not have disdain for nuclear, I can assure you of that.

I work at a nuclear plant and have been involved in advocating for new nuclear for a while now, so I am well aware....but I appreciate you looking into it for me

and the left does not have disdain for nuclear, I can assure you of that.
So you don’t know these really basic things, but work there? What do you do- sweep up or work the griddle in the cafeteria?

So you don’t know these really basic things, but work there? What do you do- sweep up or work the griddle in the cafeteria?
good try, mo

getting approval for new plants has been underway for quite some time. The latest is that Gates and Buffett will be starting construction on a new style of plant in Wyoming and will be complete in a few years...that should align quite nicely with the EV revolution.

so don't you worry your pretty little head

Wait
You thought it was free, then you say it will save you money.

Which one is it.

11 miles a dollar is only saving you money at a certain gas price. A lot of vehicles would be cheaper than that, at least with recent gas prices.

good article, thank you

they question the means in which they calculated some of the time though

But take a closer look at Table 2, and you'll see that three types of gas-powered cars are listed: entry, mid-priced, and luxury. For the EVs, there are also three columns, but they include one mid-priced and two luxury EVs (one that's "mostly" charged at home, and one that's more often charged at a public

More important is noting that the study assumes odd habits for an EV driver who "mostly" recharges at home. How odd? The study assumes that it takes a whopping 5 minutes to plug and unplug an EV using an installed home charger. This feels way too long, but if we accept their time and use their assumption of 25 charges a month, we can see how they calculate that charging at home eats up 2.1 hours of time a month. But the paper doesn't use that time figure for the home charging example. Instead, it also assumes people with home chargers actually conduct 40 percent of their charges at a public, commercial station. This, then, allows the study to claim that they spend 4.5 hours a month charging their car.

You're right that it's happening, but it's very foolish.

We as a country should be hording as much power resources as possible. Power resources are the foundation of society. Intentionally limiting ourselves of foundational resources because they're "too dirty" is heinously asinine! We're tying our own noose.