tOfficial 21-22 NHL Season thread

For years I have wanted to get into NHL because for years I have tuned into the playoffs and they are very entertaining. But I never got around to following it because it just was never on TV for me.

But now, this year with most games being on ESPN+ and the Kraken being on a local channel, I have been able to watch hockey and this is such a fun league. I am still trying to figure things out, I am sort of getting the hang of the rules, I don't know much about the positions or players, other than the typical household names, but the sound of the sticks, the puck, the skates, it's damn addicting.

The point system still doesnt make sense to me, why not use just wins and losses? Why even have the point system? I know points and wins sort of go together, but why not just stick with W's and L's?

I'm trying to find a team to become a fan and follower of. I've always liked the Oilers for some reason, I like the Blackhawks because their logo and uniform used to be what the Winterhawks had, so growing up I had Winterhawk stuff but it could've been mistaken for Blackhawks. I like the Penguins, but feel they are such a solid franchise it would be bandwagon. Kraken make sense since they are somewhat local and I am determined to make it to a kraken game either this season or next and I can watch all of their games without going to ESPN+. As for a bad team I could support, so to not look like a bandwagon, I have a soft spot for the Sabres since I just always seem to find myself rooting for the Buffalo sports market.
If you don't want to feel like a bandwagoner/want to get on with a bad team Buffalo is as good as it could get. Been in the dumps for awhile, which is a shame because that's such a good hockey market and the NHL is definitely better when they're good.

List 5 poverty franchises in the NHL
Buffalo
Arizona
Toronto (not in a money/talent sense but in a they always find a way to fuck up sense)
Ottawa
Edmonton (never seen a team with this much talent squander it so spectacularly)
Seattle would be unfair to call one but they are definitely looking like what an expansion team should.

If you don't want to feel like a bandwagoner/want to get on with a bad team Buffalo is as good as it could get. Been in the dumps for awhile, which is a shame because that's such a good hockey market and the NHL is definitely better when they're good.
Been thinking of Buffalo. Been a long time since a post-season appearance, Buffalo is always a sports underdog market. Been around for awhile.

Think I'm narrowing this down to Buffalo and Kraken, even though with ESPN+ I may get plenty of Sabres games, I get every single Kraken game. It's a toss up. Pro's for Buffalo is they are an older franchise and have been around for awhile and haven't been good for awhile, but Kraken's pro's is they are regional, I get every game, badass logo/uniforms/mascot. One pro is they are a new franchise which goes with me being a new fan, but at the same time I find that as Kraken's biggest Con, being new and having no history or rivalries.

Buffalo
Arizona
Toronto (not in a money/talent sense but in a they always find a way to fuck up sense)
Ottawa
Edmonton (never seen a team with this much talent squander it so spectacularly)
Seattle would be unfair to call one but they are definitely looking like what an expansion team should.
I've always sort of liked Edmonton. But they have recent success do they not? Like two straight years of post-season play? They seem to be on the up and up.

It's weird, Seattle is a great hockey market, very fitting, but they feel like an expansion team. Oddly Vegas, who doesn't seem like a hockey market, seemingly fit immediately into the league and very quickly no longer felt like an expansion team. Almost from the beginning VGK felt like they had been around the NHL for awhile.

I've always sort of liked Edmonton. But they have recent success do they not? Like two straight years of post-season play? They seem to be on the up and up.
Edmonton's had one of if not the most talented roster in hockey for five or so years with arguably the game's best player in McDavid, but to only make it to the semis once in that time has been a pretty big disappointment. Hell they've got a good shot of missing it this year.

1. Arizona
2. Arizona
3. Carolina
4. Arizona
5. Ottawa
Carolina? They got a Stanley Cup since '00 don't they? Also aren't they pretty decent team? Seems like they always are competitive.

Edmonton's had one of if not the most talented roster in hockey for five or so years with arguably the game's best player in McDavid, but to only make it to the semis once in that time has been a pretty big disappointment. Hell they've got a good shot of missing it this year.
True, my big issues with the Oilers is they are a Canadian team, must be my American homerism, but I feel like I should support a US team.

Also sort of funny that hockey is way bigger in Canada and yet a Canadian team hasn't won the cup in a long time

Carolina? They got a Stanley Cup since '00 don't they? Also aren't they pretty decent team? Seems like they always are competitive.
They had trouble selling tickets like 1-2 years after that SC win and have always been around the break-even mark. It’s just a well-run franchise that has trouble attracting fans.

I’m as perplexed as you are as to why Florida and Arizona continue to have teams…

They had trouble selling tickets like 1-2 years after that SC win and have always been around the break-even mark. It’s just a well-run franchise that has trouble attracting fans.

I’m as perplexed as you are as to why Florida and Arizona continue to have teams…
And somehow have some of the best teams. Of course the Lightning recent run and the Panthers look to be a really good team this year.

Imagine those teams and that success in a place in Canada or the Northeast.

True, my big issues with the Oilers is they are a Canadian team, must be my American homerism, but I feel like I should support a US team.

Also sort of funny that hockey is way bigger in Canada and yet a Canadian team hasn't won the cup in a long time
No team is more of an embarrassment than the Maple Leafs. Chronically mismanaged, haven’t won anything since long before I was born (and when most other NHL teams came into existence), and has very little playoff success in that time also.

That it’s perpetually sold-out and popular with fans, remains a colossal mystery. Maybe the Canadian government is using it as a front to launder money…

List 5 poverty franchises in the NHL
What do you mean by poverty? Teams with the least value or teams that suck the most?

Least value is the Coyotes, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Sabres, and Senators (from worst to... least worst lol)

Who sucks the most... well, that changes every so often, but the Coyotes, Sabres, Sens, Canucks, and Devils haven't been too good for a while now. Canucks made playoffs a couple years ago though, in the first covid year.

And somehow have some of the best teams. Of course the Lightning recent run and the Panthers look to be a really good team this year.

Imagine those teams and that success in a place in Canada or the Northeast.
The Lightning manage to draw a decent crowd and are a money-maker though. Kind of a Winnipeg of the South, yet better managed.

Florida has been a perennially suck team for almost all of its existence. Yeah, it had an early improbable SC playoff run, but not much else.

What do you mean by poverty? Teams with the least value or teams that suck the most?

Least value is the Coyotes, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Sabres, and Senators (from worst to... least worst lol)

Who sucks the most... well, that changes every so often, but the Coyotes, Sabres, Sens, Canucks, and Devils haven't been too good for a while now. Canucks made playoffs a couple years ago though, in the first covid year.
Yeah meant sucks the most.

I took it as: teams closest to folding / in need of bailout.

Usually amounts to much the same thing though.

Too bandwagony to go with the Blackhawks? I've always felt a connection to them because of the Portland Winterhawks, but my worry is I become a fan and they change their name or mascot. I really like their whole look, especially that logo with the C and the tomahawks.

Too bandwagony to go with the Blackhawks? I've always felt a connection to them because of the Portland Winterhawks, but my worry is I become a fan and they change their name or mascot. I really like their whole look, especially that logo with the C and the tomahawks.
If there are any indian sports teams that won't and shouldn't change, it is the Chicago Blackhawks and the Florida State Seminoles.