tOfficial Bourbon thread

I typically drink my bourbon neat, but every now and then I'll fix an Old Fashioned.

Favorites in relatively decreasing cost (starting in the $45-50 range)

- Four Roses Single Barrel
- Legent
- Woodford Reserve
- Evan Williams Single Barrel
- Maker's Mark
- Henry McKenna Single Barrel (my overall favorite)
- Bulleit
- Knobb Creek
- Old Forrester
- Evan Williams White (typically always kept on hand)
- Benchmark (best cheap bourbon I'd buy again)
Do you know which formula of the four roses you like? Looks like you have some wheat and heavier corn in there. I can't say enough about Wild Turkey Rare Breed. sub-$30 and it is smooth and has a lot of flavor still. :suds:

Local liquor store finally took Buffalo Trace off a reserve list. Selling one bottle per if you get there. I did not buy a bottle today.

been a good last few days. Found and picked up:

(2) Four Roses small batch OESV
(3) Makers Wood Finished 2021 FAE-01
(2) Makers Wood Finished 2020 SE4-PR5
(1) Woodford Double Oaked

Woodford DO isn't one I enjoy, but my buddy who always seems to find Eagle Rare does and I'll use that as trade bait when he runs out :)

Local liquor store finally took Buffalo Trace off a reserve list. Selling one bottle per if you get there. I did not buy a bottle today.
That's insane. I actually picked one up last week because I know the bourbon bro's are running on it. For $24 it's good to keep around in case I can't find ER.

Reactions: Me
That's insane. I actually picked one up last week because I know the bourbon bro's are running on it. For $24 it's good to keep around in case I can't find ER.
Yeah, it's ok.

Nothing I would necessarily seek out

Yeah, it's ok.

Nothing I would necessarily seek out
Nope, i have never sought it out. but when it gets hard to find, like everything above wellers special reserve has become (or blantons) then I need to have one on hand just in case.

I still can't believe the hype for blantons. At least Pappy Lot B (only one I have tasted) is worth the hype.

Reactions: Me

A powerful depth of flavor jumps from the wheated Bourbon classic.

The name "Weller" has been around the horn a few times. It all started with the Stitzel-Weller Distilling Company — founded in 1935 and closed in 1972 during the famous "Whiskey Recession." The had a bunch of great brands when they closed, and the formulas and brands were sold off. Today, the W. L. Weller brand is owned by Sazerac out of New Orleans and the Bourbons are distilled at their famous Buffalo Trace Distillery along with a wide array of Sazerac products.

W.L. Weller Old Weller Antique is a Kentucky Straight Wheated Bourbon — sometimes called "Antique 107" — that is indeed bottled at 107 proof (53.5% ABV). That’s nearly cask strength, and all the flavors are powerful at that level. Although there is no age statement, the consensus of our experts and the Bourbon-drinking public is that it clocks in somewhere near seven years old. As a Straight Bourbon, it can’t have any artificial colors or flavorings and you just can’t get a rich color and smooth finish like that in less time. Bottom line, it is very smooth with a very light spice at a great value point and makes for an amazing daily dram. And the experts agree — awarding not one but TWO Gold Medals in 2019… one of them a double.

*This bottle is a collector's item, we will not be able to entertain any refunds or exchanges.

**Individual orders limited to one item per person, as we wish to give everyone the opportunity to participate.

***Any kind of transit damage is insured and will be reimbursed.

A powerful depth of flavor jumps from the wheated Bourbon classic.

The name "Weller" has been around the horn a few times. It all started with the Stitzel-Weller Distilling Company — founded in 1935 and closed in 1972 during the famous "Whiskey Recession." The had a bunch of great brands when they closed, and the formulas and brands were sold off. Today, the W. L. Weller brand is owned by Sazerac out of New Orleans and the Bourbons are distilled at their famous Buffalo Trace Distillery along with a wide array of Sazerac products.

W.L. Weller Old Weller Antique is a Kentucky Straight Wheated Bourbon — sometimes called "Antique 107" — that is indeed bottled at 107 proof (53.5% ABV). That’s nearly cask strength, and all the flavors are powerful at that level. Although there is no age statement, the consensus of our experts and the Bourbon-drinking public is that it clocks in somewhere near seven years old. As a Straight Bourbon, it can’t have any artificial colors or flavorings and you just can’t get a rich color and smooth finish like that in less time. Bottom line, it is very smooth with a very light spice at a great value point and makes for an amazing daily dram. And the experts agree — awarding not one but TWO Gold Medals in 2019… one of them a double.

*This bottle is a collector's item, we will not be able to entertain any refunds or exchanges.

**Individual orders limited to one item per person, as we wish to give everyone the opportunity to participate.

***Any kind of transit damage is insured and will be reimbursed.
Yup, OWA is pretty good. It's the one I mentioned earlier (OW 107). It's just difficult to find, as is the OW Full Proof, OW 12, and don't even think about OW CYPB.

Do you know which formula of the four roses you like? Looks like you have some wheat and heavier corn in there. I can't say enough about Wild Turkey Rare Breed. sub-$30 and it is smooth and has a lot of flavor still. :beer2:

the single barrel (100 proof) is only the OBSV, while the small batch has 4 recipes in the blend, and what used to be called the yellow label has all 10. Haven't had a chance to hunt down any of the other limited edition single barrel (barrel strength) recipe bottles, as they're scooped up immediately and I live in an area that wouldn't have a chance of getting them in the first place.

Rare Breed is another good one I wouldn't mind buying again, as are several others in that $30-50 range, but would take Henry McKenna whenever it's in stock. I like Rye forward bourbons, but do gravitate to the more corn.

Last edited:
the single barrel (100 proof) is only the OBSV, while the small batch has 4 recipes in the blend, and what used to be called the yellow label has all 10. Haven't had a chance to hunt down any of the other limited edition single barrel (barrel strength) recipe bottles, as they're scooped up immediately and I live in an area that wouldn't have a chance of getting them in the first place.

Rare Breed is another good one I wouldn't mind buying again, as are several others in that $30-50 range, but would take Henry McKenna whenever it's in stock. I like Rye forward bourbons, but do gravitate to the more corn.
Yeah McKenna is great but I have an impossible time finding it in DFW, don't even have one in the pantry right now. I'm more of a wheat guy.
For corn have you tried any of the Jimmy Corn stuff that is coming back strong? I have a Revival that is too much for me to enjoy straight, gotta throw a cherry in to balance it.

Yeah McKenna is great but I have an impossible time finding it in DFW, don't even have one in the pantry right now. I'm more of a wheat guy.
For corn have you tried any of the Jimmy Corn stuff that is coming back strong? I have a Revival that is too much for me to enjoy straight, gotta throw a cherry in to balance it.

It's interesting to see the differences in regions. While McKenna is hard to get here, as many people jump on it, they at least have a label on the empty shelf being sold out. You've been able to get some of the Four Roses that I've never seen and I don't think I've seen a Jimmy Corn either, but will take a look next time.

When La Rona started getting revved up last year, I walked into my local liquor store and found an entire display of HANDLES of Buffalo Trace. I'd never even seen handles. Bought three.

I can't get Sazarac around here to save my life, but any liquor store in every Podunk NY town has stockpiles.

It's interesting to see the differences in regions. While McKenna is hard to get here, as many people jump on it, they at least have a label on the empty shelf being sold out. You've been able to get some of the Four Roses that I've never seen and I don't think I've seen a Jimmy Corn either, but will take a look next time.
It's a little white bottle called Revival - Jimmy Red Corn or something like that, maybe just Jimmy Corn. It's got a lot of flavor, not bad, just heavy. Yeah I am amazed at the regions. I hear Eagle Rare is easy to find in CA, but gets a 100% markup here. Here I can go find buffalo trace or Weller SR on any shelf. Others have to hunt for that. But that's what makes traveling and hunting fun.

I know the above is just something you quoted from an article, but that word makes me want to punch people that say it.
Uh oh, no one offer him a sip of Midsummers Night Dram. Though it is pretty nice.

1616794752525.png

I can't get Sazarac around here to save my life, but any liquor store in every Podunk NY town has stockpiles.
"That's by the Pappy people" is why, though it is not really the same people. Around here everyone is really trying to make Chattanooga bourbon the next hot thing. Meh. Every time I'm in a store now it seems someone is pushing it, must be aggressive sales people offering good kickbacks.

It's a little white bottle called Revival - Jimmy Red Corn or something like that, maybe just Jimmy Corn. It's got a lot of flavor, not bad, just heavy. Yeah I am amazed at the regions. I hear Eagle Rare is easy to find in CA, but gets a 100% markup here. Here I can go find buffalo trace or Weller SR on any shelf. Others have to hunt for that. But that's what makes traveling and hunting fun.

I'll take a look when I go back. Did call today to see if they got any McKenna in on today's truck, but that was a no go for the 3 stores in my area. Call back next week they say.

Whenever I did travel, prior to COVID, I'd always try to get a new bourbon or IPA I couldn't get at home. Looking forward to some vacations this summer now my wife and I are vaccinated, while maintaining CDC guidelines of course, but we're more comfortable to venture out of the house.

I'll take a look when I go back. Did call today to see if they got any McKenna in on today's truck, but that was a no go for the 3 stores in my area. Call back next week they say.

Whenever I did travel, prior to COVID, I'd always try to get a new bourbon or IPA I couldn't get at home. Looking forward to some vacations this summer now my wife and I are vaccinated, while maintaining CDC guidelines of course, but we're more comfortable to venture out of the house.
That was my goal while in AZ. I didn't hit any Costco and that's my mistake I guess. None of the grocers, pharmacies, or Walmart had anything I can't find here. I didn't hit a ton though and mainly in the glendale/surprise area.

That was my goal while in AZ. I didn't hit any Costco and that's my mistake I guess. None of the grocers, pharmacies, or Walmart had anything I can't find here. I didn't hit a ton though and mainly in the glendale/surprise area.

Another regional difference. Can only get liquor at the state run ABC store in VA, but at least some and beer can be gotten at a grocery store.