tOfficial Bourbon thread

Another regional difference. Can only get liquor at the state run ABC store in VA, but at least some and beer can be gotten at a grocery store.
Ah, I've talked to people about that. So can you see the inventory online? I have heard that leads to hours long lines when inventory is put out overnight. Can't remember what state that was, maybe VA.

And we have to hit liquor stores, so the ability of stores to hold back allocated stuff is annoying.

I did win a lotto this week, bought a 1792 Full Proof SiB store pick. Not being a rye guy I'll probably flip it with someone, maybe get some more PR5.

Ah, I've talked to people about that. So can you see the inventory online? I have heard that leads to hours long lines when inventory is put out overnight. Can't remember what state that was, maybe VA.

And we have to hit liquor stores, so the ability of stores to hold back allocated stuff is annoying.

I did win a lotto this week, bought a 1792 Full Proof SiB store pick. Not being a rye guy I'll probably flip it with someone, maybe get some more PR5.

Not in my neck of the woods in VA. I've mentioned this before in some thread, but the fact that the biggest chain restaurant within an hour drive from me is an Applebee's should tell you the choices I have locally.

I had found a Woodford double oaked recently, cracked it open today and it's pretty decent. Not a fan of other WR's but that one is pretty nice! I see what the ruckus is about it.

I can't get Sazarac around here to save my life, but any liquor store in every Podunk NY town has stockpiles.
S'truth...I can get Sazerac for around 35$ in any of my liquor stores. It's not my favorite Rye but it makes a decent perfect manhattan

S'truth...I can get Sazerac for around 35$ in any of my liquor stores. It's not my favorite Rye but it makes a decent perfect manhattan
Sazerac Rye is pretty common around here. Their 18 and Handy are impossible to find.

Sazerac Rye is pretty common around here. Their 18 and Handy are impossible to find.
Yep, never see those here.

I mainly see the triumvirate (Jim, Jack, Evan), then the base varieties of things like Four Roses, Maker's, Crown, Woodford's, Etc. Any where that has a good selection is going to be extremely pricey

Grabbed a fifth of Wild Turkey 101 today along with some Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA while I was out. It's been a "long" week doing virtual school and I "deserved it" .... the wife actually said that!

Finished brewing my own IPA earlier while drinking the voodoo ranger, but plan to work on the Wild Turkey over the weekend while watching baseball and NASCAR with it being in my neck of the woods at Martinsville.

Cheers!

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

Grabbed a fifth of Wild Turkey 101 today along with some Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA while I was out. It's been a "long" week doing virtual school and I "deserved it" .... the wife actually said that!

Finished brewing my own IPA earlier while drinking the voodoo ranger, but plan to work on the Wild Turkey over the weekend while watching baseball and NASCAR with it being in my neck of the woods at Martinsville.

Cheers!

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky
101 is really really good, and the price makes it better. It makes a killer old fashioned, already has an orange syrupy tone, works perfect with it.

Sounds like a good weekend. I'm still working or I'd have started my drinking already. Asked the wife to keep Sunday open because I'm doing a brisket Saturday night and drinking all Sunday. Didn't get any time off last weekend and looks like a long night tonight.

101 is really really good, and the price makes it better. It makes a killer old fashioned, already has an orange syrupy tone, works perfect with it.

Sounds like a good weekend. I'm still working or I'd have started my drinking already. Asked the wife to keep Sunday open because I'm doing a brisket Saturday night and drinking all Sunday. Didn't get any time off last weekend and looks like a long night tonight.

My bottle actually had a sample of bitters for an old fashioned, even though I still had some in my liquor cabinet, so I grabbed an orange and simple syrup (because I'm too lazy to make my own, especially when drinking) to have this weekend.

Enjoy the brisket! I've done a couple small cuts in the smoker before as an "add on" to another cook, but really want to devote time/ energy to another larger cut this year. Let me know how it turns out and I may ask for your process.

@fordman84

Keep me posted on the brisket. I'd love to give it another crack soon.

I'm down most of the fifth of 101 with Old Fashions this evening after a morning with the daughter at Lowe's, while the wife and son were at his soccer game. Trying to put together posts for stringing Edison lights along the back patios, but the wife wants them inside planters for flowers, but the planters she previously picked out are too unstable under the tension needed for the light strings and posts are only 7.5 feet high. The bourbon is compensation in trying to figure out what she wants with what will work. Likely will need taller posts (10 feet) and a way to stabilize the conical planters from tipping under the tension and wind load, either with guy wires or a wider base that could be weighted and elevated.

The constant struggle between form (art teacher wife) and function (engineer husband). I've got fixes, but they won't "look" right. Bourbon may help with creative solutions, but it will definitely help with the frustration level!

@fordman84

Keep me posted on the brisket. I'd love to give it another crack soon.

I'm down most of the fifth of 101 with Old Fashions this evening after a morning with the daughter at Lowe's, while the wife and son were at his soccer game. Trying to put together posts for stringing Edison lights along the back patios, but the wife wants them inside planters for flowers, but the planters she previously picked out are too unstable under the tension needed for the light strings and posts are only 7.5 feet high. The bourbon is compensation in trying to figure out what she wants with what will work. Likely will need taller posts (10 feet) and a way to stabilize the conical planters from tipping under the tension and wind load, either with guy wires or a wider base that could be weighted and elevated.

The constant struggle between form (art teacher wife) and function (engineer husband). I've got fixes, but they won't "look" right. Bourbon may help with creative solutions, but it will definitely help with the frustration level!
Just put my brisket on, actually. Got a glass of Makers in my hand. Sadly it's a bit chilly for me to be outside and don't feel like firing up the heater.
I am wanting to put those Edison lights on our new patio, swagged along the outside beams. But first we want mosquito curtains so need to get those up before I put lights up. Can you just do hanging planters? Or shepherd hooks for the planters? Then you could cut and splice in some extra wire between the lights so you can run them up the hook and then down the chain. At that point you are basically hard wring in lights to planters, though. Better to do that with low voltage wire and something like these path lights, perhaps. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kichler-3-Watt-Olde-Bronze-Low-Voltage-Hardwired-LED-Path-Light/1000411871

Or just get solar path lights, stick em in the planters, and do what you want with the Edison lights :)

Grabbed a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch yesterday since it was on sale being $4 off and it's still a good sip.

Having some Widow Jane 15 yr tonight

Going to be in Louisville in a couple weeks, and thinking about going to a distillery on the way down

Having some Widow Jane 15 yr tonight
have not tried Widow Jane yet. I see it everywhere and noticed it in a few product placements on some cooking shows. So I'm sure it is about to be blown up by the taters.

have not tried Widow Jane yet. I see it everywhere and noticed it in a few product placements on some cooking shows. So I'm sure it is about to be blown up by the taters.
I was reading a science fiction book and one of the characters had a bottle in her desk...so when I went to the store and saw it, I figured why not?

@fordman84 - I haven't read through the whole thread, so you may have already mentioned it, but have you thought of just doin' a road trip to Kentucky at some point? Just going into a random liquor store there and you may run across a bottle you can't even find out of state. Also, it's become a thing in Louisville for some of the finer hotels and restaurants to offer bourbon flights (which, being from there, makes me laugh ... like, since when did we get all hoity-toity with our bourbon ... we've always had really expensive bottles, but we weren't hoity-toity about even them, just don't fuckin' mix them with anything), and there are now "bourbon trails," too.

Going to be in Louisville in a couple weeks, and thinking about going to a distillery on the way down

See the above.

@fordman84 - I haven't read through the whole thread, so you may have already mentioned it, but have you thought of just doin' a road trip to Kentucky at some point? Just going into a random liquor store there and you may run across a bottle you can't even find out of state. Also, it's become a thing in Louisville for some of the finer hotels and restaurants to offer bourbon flights (which, being from there, makes me laugh ... like, since when did we get all hoity-toity with our bourbon ... we've always had really expensive bottles, but we weren't hoity-toity about even them, just don't fuckin' mix them with anything), and there are now "bourbon trails," too.

See the above.
Yeah, we were talking about doing one last summer and then things happened. my buddies just got back from one, I couldn't go. Hoping to this summer.

There are a lot of douchey bourbon places popping up around DFW that offer the high end flights. I know some people that hit them up, one of my employees did a $100 4 glass flight. It had some expensive and hard to find bourbons so it was worth it for him. I have enough friends that I can get a sample from most of them if I want one. But in my experience, and with my palate, once you get above $100 for me...returns diminish greatly. Some I want to try just to say I have, like I'd love to get my hands on a sample of double eagle rare, but once I have tried em I'd never actually spend the money to buy a bottle. There are just too many good ones below $100-$150.

See the above.
I looked. Tours book up a month + in advance. Couldn't find any openings

Yeah, we were talking about doing one last summer and then things happened. my buddies just got back from one, I couldn't go. Hoping to this summer.

There are a lot of douchey bourbon places popping up around DFW that offer the high end flights. I know some people that hit them up, one of my employees did a $100 4 glass flight. It had some expensive and hard to find bourbons so it was worth it for him. I have enough friends that I can get a sample from most of them if I want one. But in my experience, and with my palate, once you get above $100 for me...returns diminish greatly. Some I want to try just to say I have, like I'd love to get my hands on a sample of double eagle rare, but once I have tried em I'd never actually spend the money to buy a bottle. There are just too many good ones below $100-$150.

It's an absolutely beautiful state. Louisville has become quite the li'l food town, too.
If you drive and end up coming into the state on I-65 from Tennessee, Mammoth Caves is definitely worth a stop.

I looked. Tours book up a month + in advance. Couldn't find any openings

You can do the Urban Bourbon trail.

If you're at all into history, or love fine old hotels, the Seelbach and the Brown (home of the Hot Brown) are both worth a visit.