What are you reading?

I really don't give a shit if you think it's lame.

It's how I feel about it. and my wife is a reader too, so we'd need 2? Like everybody has a cell phone...
In the future, would you and your wife please run your opinions past ill first? Thank you.

Shame the Devil - George Pelecanos

Love it. Pelecanos wrote for Treme, The Wire and The Deuce.

OIP.yPNeXsJt8-l64_QasVxYkQHaJ4

More George Pelecanos. The Turnaround.

More or less DC based.

Next up, Sacred by Dennis Lehane.

finishing Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series now
1624465608686.png

listening to The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

1624465643577.png

For Whom the Bell Tolls by some guy named Hemmingway.

I gotta say, I'm not that into his writing yet.

For Whom the Bell Tolls by some guy named Hemmingway.

I gotta say, I'm not that into his writing yet.
I've never read Hemmingway...not sure I could

I've never read Hemmingway...not sure I could
I mean, I've always been intrigued by him and watched the Ken Burns special on him. I also intended to read the classics I had missed along the way when I retired.

So far, I'm just not getting it.

I mean, I've always been intrigued by him and watched the Ken Burns special on him. I also intended to read the classics I had missed along the way when I retired.

So far, I'm just not getting it.
I'm not sure if this holds true but it seems there was a genre of men's fiction in the 40s and 50s that touched on being a "man". I collect old outdoor fiction and you can see the style of writing shine through. Hemingway's writing drips with testosterone

I see The Old Man and the Sea as the perfect novel.

I'm not sure if this holds true but it seems there was a genre of men's fiction in the 40s and 50s that touched on being a "man". I collect old outdoor fiction and you can see the style of writing shine through. Hemingway's writing drips with testosterone

I see The Old Man and the Sea as the perfect novel.
There is that, which i don't necessarily have a problem with. But this "thee" and "thou" rhetoric...am I reading Shakespeare?

There is that, which i don't necessarily have a problem with. But this "thee" and "thou" rhetoric...am I reading Shakespeare?
The book is nearly 100 years old. Language changes. It's a challenge for sure.

80 years old.

I think it parallels hemmingways experience as an ambulance driver in WWII...falling in love with a local in the midst of war. Still, its pretty clunky.

80 years old.

I think it parallels hemmingways experience as an ambulance driver in WWII...falling in love with a local in the midst of war. Still, its pretty clunky.
For Whom the Bell Tolls I believe was set in the Spanish Civil War. So yeah, not quite 100 years old.

I don't think people spoke like that 80 yrs ago.

I wasn't there.

I haven't read the book in years so I don't know in what context the "thees" and " thous" were used.
So, after reading the Wiki article on the book, the thees and thous makes more sense. Supposed to convey a direct translation from Spanish in which there are important differences in the formal and familiar translations.

Dennis Lehane - The Given Day

Excellent.

John Sandford - Ocean Prey

A good read.

finished Shadow & Bone...it was just too soft of a fantasy novel. I don't know if I want to finish the series.

started How Much of These Hills is Gold last night and put a hold on the first book from the Longmire series.

1626371782128.png