What are you reading?

Didn't realize there were Longmire books.

May have a look.

Didn't realize there were Longmire books.

May have a look.
I've been looking for something like a western kind of book lately...that first book is going to determine whether I continue with the series

I've been looking for something like a western kind of book lately...that first book is going to determine whether I continue with the series

Let me know.

Hammer and I recommend Lonesome Dove if you haven't read it. 3 others in the series.

Finished Confessions of an Economic Hitman then read The Templars by Dan Jones and now yesterday started The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore.

I found a "Vintage" version at Costco in California and at the same time got Inferno by Max Hastings. These are big, oversized paperbacks that are so easy to read. Now I'm turned onto this publisher and have some pre-orders from vintagebooks.com coming in October!

As for The Romanovs, it is not light reading, though it is extremely interesting. I had mistakenly assumed it focused on the last Romanovs, massacred by the Bolsheviks in 1917(?) but it goes all the way back to the start of the family with Ivan the Terrible in 1600-ish. But what makes it and so many other Russian books so difficult is that the Russians back then had about 4-5 male names and about 3-4 female names so it becomes a virtually impossible task not to confuse all the characters.

Last edited:
Finished The Romanovs about ten days ago, then read The Lost City of Z and today started Max Hastings' Inferno, The World at War 1939-1945.

I'm reading this thread.

Finished The Romanovs about ten days ago, then read The Lost City of Z and today started Max Hastings' Inferno, The World at War 1939-1945.
I dove into a book on the Romanovs many years ago and by the time I finished I had more questions than answers.

On a whim I picked up Gladwells new book The Bomber Mafia. I’ve always enjoyed Gladwells writing….and war and mafia in the title? Sign me up.

It wasn’t a super long read….but it was chock full and interesting. He dives into the very early formation of strategic bombing strategy by our military….from way back when it was just guys thinking hypothetically before planes were even close to being capable.

It then goes through how that strategy was tested and found wanting in WWII and how it changed us from a moralistic approach of trying to surgically take out vital parts to an enemies army without over killing people to the free fire bombing maniac approach we were forced to by the end of that war, culminating with the fire bombing of Tokyo that killed 100,000 people over six hours…..literally the biggest death count over such a short period in world history.

If you like such subjects Gladwells takes a very solid approach to laying out the challenges and mindsets and how they had to change.

On a whim I picked up Gladwells new book The Bomber Mafia. I’ve always enjoyed Gladwells writing….and war and mafia in the title? Sign me up.

It wasn’t a super long read….but it was chock full and interesting. He dives into the very early formation of strategic bombing strategy by our military….from way back when it was just guys thinking hypothetically before planes were even close to being capable.

It then goes through how that strategy was tested and found wanting in WWII and how it changed us from a moralistic approach of trying to surgically take out vital parts to an enemies army without over killing people to the free fire bombing maniac approach we were forced to by the end of that war, culminating with the fire bombing of Tokyo that killed 100,000 people over six hours…..literally the biggest death count over such a short period in world history.

If you like such subjects Gladwells takes a very solid approach to laying out the challenges and mindsets and how they had to change.
I listened to a bunch of podcast episodes he did on the Bomber Mafia. It was pretty interesting.

I listened to a bunch of podcast episodes he did on the Bomber Mafia. It was pretty interesting.
Yeah. I was about halfway through the book and decided why not listen to the pods on this. That wasn’t smart. I was fascinated by each storyline in the book. The pods were just as fascinating. Only, the rest of the book had been mentioned in the pods. Still great, but not as fascinating.

If you’ve listened you got most of the gist. The book just elaborates more on those themes.

Reactions: ill
Picked up the newest edition of MILF mania recently.

Just finished Normandy '44 by James Holland.
Started Together We Stand: North Africa 1942-43, Turning The Tide In The West, also by James Holland.

Next is With The Jocks : A Soldiers Struggle For Europe 1944-45, by Peter White

reading A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay...a little bit of a creepy exorcism story

waiting for Dave Grohl's new audiobook to become available from the library to give that a listen

Just found a treasure over the weekend. Lester delRay Best Science Fiction Stories of the Year, 1975 Edition. Starting this afternoon.

Do you know anything about the Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear books that are supposed to be like the Earth's Children but about the Anasazi? I have "People of Silence" in my queue.

I just picked up my first from these 2 authors from the library.

People of the Morning star, 1st of 3? Sun Born and Moon Hunt to follow.

Let me know. I have the paperbacks but haven't read them yet.

They were the only in sequence ones I could find at my library.

I prefer to read in order.

What book of the rest should I read first?

met my reading goal for the year with 47 books

wondering if I should bump it up to 50