What should I get?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
Got a wild hair and decided I should get an XBox. The last console I owned was a 360, I haven’t played video games in years now, but having the Kraken now I miss the NHL games, and apparently the NCAA reboot is on the horizon…

I can’t see spending more than $300 for this shit, so it seems my options are series s or used one s. Series s seems to be the obvious choice, especially considering the one ses I can find aren’t much cheaper and are either refurbished or used, but not being able to get cheap physical discs on sale seems like a big minus. I’m not too worried about all the specs and capabilities, either would be an upgrade from the last thing I played. However, don’t want something that will stop being supported and getting new games in a year or two at the same time.

Thoughts?

Are you sold on Xbox over playstation? I've never owned an xbox, only PlayStations so can't help you there if you are set on Microsoft products.

As for games, rocket league is the best time waster I have right now.

Got a wild hair and decided I should get an XBox. The last console I owned was a 360, I haven’t played video games in years now, but having the Kraken now I miss the NHL games, and apparently the NCAA reboot is on the horizon…

I can’t see spending more than $300 for this shit, so it seems my options are series s or used one s. Series s seems to be the obvious choice, especially considering the one ses I can find aren’t much cheaper and are either refurbished or used, but not being able to get cheap physical discs on sale seems like a big minus. I’m not too worried about all the specs and capabilities, either would be an upgrade from the last thing I played. However, don’t want something that will stop being supported and getting new games in a year or two at the same time.

Thoughts?

instead of buying a new system...hook up the old PS2 and use that money for blow

Between those two options, the Series S is a lot better. Its roughly the same speed and specs as the last generation Xbox one x.

you won’t miss disks. Sucks having to swap them anyway. You probably won’t be playing 10+ games at the same time, so you can always redownload ones you want to play.

Are you sold on Xbox over playstation? I've never owned an xbox, only PlayStations so can't help you there if you are set on Microsoft products.

As for games, rocket league is the best time waster I have right now.
No, they just seem to be more available for better prices right now. It’s all I’ve ever had since they took over the console world in the 2000s, but I don’t have any loyalty to them.

Thoughts?
Rather often, digital media through the XBox/Playstation stores have sales cheaper than physical media purchasable through 3rd party retail.

I'm still running on PS4. The day I bought it, I upgraded the hard drive to a standard SATA 2TB HDD. With 4k games being the standard now, even 2 TB isn't enough space. If you plan on buying more than a handful of games for it, I recommend getting as much storage space as you can or get a system that allows easy storage upgrade.

The EA Sports NHL series still has flaws, but it's fun. It's the only sports game I play with regularity. You'll need to adjust some gameplay sliders, though, because with the default settings you'll spend the whole game on the PK.

Rather often, digital media through the XBox/Playstation stores have sales cheaper than physical media purchasable through 3rd party retail.

I'm still running on PS4. The day I bought it, I upgraded the hard drive to a standard SATA 2TB HDD. With 4k games being the standard now, even 2 TB isn't enough space. If you plan on buying more than a handful of games for it, I recommend getting as much storage space as you can or get a system that allows easy storage upgrade.

The EA Sports NHL series still has flaws, but it's fun. It's the only sports game I play with regularity. You'll need to adjust some gameplay sliders, though, because with the default settings you'll spend the whole game on the PK.
I can’t stand the NHL series to be honest. I find it the least realistic of any of the sports games (granted I don’t play basketball games). The physics, the completely unrealistic shot speed variances, the fact if you adjust sliders the goalies become stupid… even the franchise mode is pooptown with how no matter how talented your team is or balanced the simmed games are a complete coin flip.

Haven’t played 22 though? So maybe it’s all better?

I can’t stand the NHL series to be honest. I find it the least realistic of any of the sports games (granted I don’t play basketball games). The physics, the completely unrealistic shot speed variances, the fact if you adjust sliders the goalies become stupid… even the franchise mode is pooptown with how no matter how talented your team is or balanced the simmed games are a complete coin flip.

I think 11 was the last one I played. Something like that… i remember researching slider settings to try and get the most realism and came up with something I was happy with. Hopefully I could do it again, missing that game is like 90% of why I even just bought a console.

Get game pass ultimate, it has tons of games includes ea play which will have all the sports games (though they are a little behind because ea, so Madden 21 is free to play with it but not 2022)

Rocket league is part of game pass as well as every Microsoft studio game on release day goes to game pass immediately (their most recent acquisition of zenimax includes Bethesda for the elder scrolls series if you are into those) too many games to list but definitely unbeatable value

Get game pass ultimate, it has tons of games includes ea play which will have all the sports games (though they are a little behind because ea, so Madden 21 is free to play with it but not 2022)

Rocket league is part of game pass as well as every Microsoft studio game on release day goes to game pass immediately (their most recent acquisition of zenimax includes Bethesda for the elder scrolls series if you are into those) too many games to list but definitely unbeatable value
Rocket League is free all around, not just with Game Pass. Fun time kill when I'm on a ban from Siege for leaving (disconnecting...) from ranked matches...

I think 11 was the last one I played. Something like that… i remember researching slider settings to try and get the most realism and came up with something I was happy with. Hopefully I could do it again, missing that game is like 90% of why I even just bought a console.
I mean, I'm a huge hockey guy but I just find the game to be completely "random" in every way.

Really wish the NHL2k games would come back. Those were the absolute fucking shit in terms of hockey gameplay.

Note: I play franchise mode and lock onto C every game.

The biggest issues I have are with hitting physics and a few AI tendencies. If you're entering the offensive zone with speed and the defenseman is backing up with speed, somehow they can completely alter their inertia from vertical to horizontal and lay you out with a massive check. My biggest peeves with AI are: 1) AI D-men in their own zone tend to retreat to the corner with the puck even when there are clear outlets then the forechecker pins the D-man to the boards and steals the puck. 2) If I'm gaining the zone with one of my wingers, no matter who the winger is they always try to deke right into the defender and loses the puck.

Other than those few key annoyances, I was able to adjust sliders and my play styles to make the game fun. I don't sim NHL games in my franchise, so I wouldn't know how the simming functions.

On another note: I hadn't played an NBA game since NBA Live on the PS2. NBA 2K21 was free on PSN for a month, so I downloaded it to see what all the hype was about with that franchise. I played two games before I deleted it. The whole game is nothing but canned animations. You have to learn their canned moves and execute them correctly to be successful. It's like playing a 30-minute-long Mortal Kombat or Tekken match with a basketball in your hands.

Rocket League is free all around, not just with Game Pass. Fun time kill when I'm on a ban from Siege for leaving (disconnecting...) from ranked matches...
Meh my kids and nephews play it, assumed it was game pass cuz I didn't buy it but recently made sure it was on all 7 of the boxes so the kids had something to do together during CCG weekend when my brother was over with his too

Note: I play franchise mode and lock onto C every game.

The biggest issues I have are with hitting physics and a few AI tendencies. If you're entering the offensive zone with speed and the defenseman is backing up with speed, somehow they can completely alter their inertia from vertical to horizontal and lay you out with a massive check. My biggest peeves with AI are: 1) AI D-men in their own zone tend to retreat to the corner with the puck even when there are clear outlets then the forechecker pins the D-man to the boards and steals the puck. 2) If I'm gaining the zone with one of my wingers, no matter who the winger is they always try to deke right into the defender and loses the puck.

Other than those few key annoyances, I was able to adjust sliders and my play styles to make the game fun. I don't sim NHL games in my franchise, so I wouldn't know how the simming functions.

On another note: I hadn't played an NBA game since NBA Live on the PS2. NBA 2K21 was free on PSN for a month, so I downloaded it to see what all the hype was about with that franchise. I played two games before I deleted it. The whole game is nothing but canned animations. You have to learn their canned moves and execute them correctly to be successful. It's like playing a 30-minute-long Mortal Kombat or Tekken match with a basketball in your hands.
Are you playing 22 or 21?

The physics (and goalies) were what made the actual gameplay just unplayable. Did they fix the goalies at all in 22? In 21, I know they would go from completely flopping and doing a snow angel and just simply spinning 180 degrees without actual movement to a glove save all with no fluid realistic movement. I just couldn't do it.

Are you playing 22 or 21?

The physics (and goalies) were what made the actual gameplay just unplayable. Did they fix the goalies at all in 22? In 21, I know they would go from completely flopping and doing a snow angel and just simply spinning 180 degrees without actual movement to a glove save all with no fluid realistic movement. I just couldn't do it.
I only buy a new sports game once every few years when they're on a good sale several months after initial release. I played 6 full franchise seasons with '18 and I'm on my second season with '21. Haven't tried '22 & probably won't.

Honestly, I haven't noticed a whole lot of terrible goalie faults in '21. Maybe they patched some of those glaring problems you experienced after release?

Haven't played an NHL video game since I think NHL 97 or 98. My roommate and I had two plays mastered. One was with the Blackhawks and one of us would be Amonte and come down the side and cut across in front of the goalie and fire at the last minute...goal every time. The other was a move my roommate mastered and I never could which was to head straight at the goalie and flip it just over the goalies shoulder. It would bounce off the glass, off the back of the goalies head, and into the damn goal every time.

Mutant League Hockey was probably a better sim than anything EA has put out in a decade.

Meh my kids and nephews play it, assumed it was game pass cuz I didn't buy it but recently made sure it was on all 7 of the boxes so the kids had something to do together during CCG weekend when my brother was over with his too
It used to be game pass. It became free this year on Xbox

Haven't played an NHL video game since I think NHL 97 or 98. My roommate and I had two plays mastered. One was with the Blackhawks and one of us would be Amonte and come down the side and cut across in front of the goalie and fire at the last minute...goal every time. The other was a move my roommate mastered and I never could which was to head straight at the goalie and flip it just over the goalies shoulder. It would bounce off the glass, off the back of the goalies head, and into the damn goal every time.
I don’t remember what it was called, but the hockey game I had for Super Nintendo, you could center yourself on your own blue line and use the clear/flip button to loft the puck down ice, it would fall right behind the goalie and into the net.

Last edited: