What ya muscicians learning?

It's getting to the point where Hu's no fun anymore
(I am sorry)
Sometimes it hurts so badly he must cry out loud
(I am lonely)

I am yours, you are mine, you are what you are
You make it hard
As soon as my next batch of songbooks comes from the library, I'll start learning Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

I hope my bluegrass picking buddies will be willing to have a jam session on this one:

New white pages is here, just been learning Back on the Chain Gang and Crazy Little Thing Called Love

I'm using this and playing the guitar chords. I've done it enough now that I can play without the charts and am even better than the 17 yr old in this video. :D

What was the first song you learned?

First song I ever played on the fiddle was "Tennessee Stud" most notably done by Doc Watson
First on the mandolin was "Rank Stranger" by Ralph Stanley
First on the guitar was "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" by Johnny Cash(real simple tune)

What was the first song you learned?

First song I ever played on the fiddle was "Tennessee Stud" most notably done by Doc Watson
First on the mandolin was "Rank Stranger" by Ralph Stanley
First on the guitar was "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" by Johnny Cash(real simple tune)
Pretty sure the first song I ever learned on bass was Dazed and Confused.
On guitar it was probably another Zeppelin song, either Stairway or Over the Hills and Far Away

Basic to fundamentals. Many years ago I started off all wrong with power/open chords and the minor pentatonic scale. I can play covers and maybe a few licks but never developed any sound foundation of where every root note is and trying to have a better understanding of how songs and leads are written.

So right now I’m learning every position of each mode of the major scale. Going and down each position with out fuck ups at 60 bpm, then 80, then 100, etc. Minimum 1 hour each day. Working in some melodic sequences within each scale. It’s really hard to go slow and keep my timing with the metronome.

For now just working on mastering all seven modes of the major scale. This week I’m on C major. I’ll probably stay in the major scale for a long time as I build in triads and arpeggios, etc. then later move into Dorian, Lydian, etc. come back full circle with the pentatonic.
Just re-reading the thread and saw this again...my wife recently challenged me to learn how to read the staff, so that's what I've been doing this past week. She got out the kids' old piano books and flashcards and said "if you can learn how to play guitar by yourself there's no reason you can't learn how to read music by yourself." So away I go.

Just re-reading the thread and saw this again...my wife recently challenged me to learn how to read the staff, so that's what I've been doing this past week. She got out the kids' old piano books and flashcards and said "if you can learn how to play guitar by yourself there's no reason you can't learn how to read music by yourself." So away I go.
I'd have to focus all my time if I were to learn how to read music. I've always played and tuned by ear. Any new song I learn, it's learned by listening and trying to play along until I get it

Breaking in my new mando, starting out with some classics like Cripple Creek and Will the Circle be Unbroken

Working on some Iron Maiden riffs. Trying to get that signature galloping palm mute timing down.

Since practicing all five positions of the major scale every day. I’ve developed a pretty good understanding of where every note is and how to find it pretty quick.

I’ve been working a lot of voluntary overtime lately, so I haven’t really picked up an instrument in a couple weeks.

As soon as my next batch of songbooks comes from the library, I'll start learning Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
I suggest you get the app Ultimate Guitar. The app's free and then I think it's like $20 for a yearly subscription.

You'll have a shitton of music at your fingertips, chords, tabs, basslines, etc. Plus you get utility tools like a tuner, a brain tuner (trains your ear), metronome and chord library.

I use it constantly.

I suggest you get the app Ultimate Guitar. The app's free and then I think it's like $20 for a yearly subscription.

You'll have a shitton of music at your fingertips, chords, tabs, basslines, etc. Plus you get utility tools like a tuner, a brain tuner (trains your ear), metronome and chord library.

I use it constantly.
Thanks for the recc...I'll check it out. My library system has a ton of songbooks and training guides.

I got the Fender App mainly for use as a tuner, but then I bought a snark a couple weeks ago so I don't even use that app anymore. They wanted money for everything, including the metronome.

any injuries while playing?

I just slashed the back of my hand on a burr on a fret. got blood all over before I noticed it.

any injuries while playing?

I just slashed the back of my hand on a burr on a fret. got blood all over before I noticed it.
Yikes, that hasn't happened to me yet

Most of my injuries are trigger finger or some kind of elbow tendinitis

Can you buff that thing down a bit? Maybe with some of that 0000 steel wool?