Nebraska Cornhuskers 2022 Recruiting Thread (Commit list in OP)

Quick update:

You might have noticed that Rivals jumped the gun (again) on saying that Javier Morton committed to Nebraska. I'm told that he wants to commit but is waiting on some academic things in order to actually commit. Nebraska is not surprised by this. there is a reason he isn't highly recruited right now, he wouldn't qualify for a few schools and he had academic issues out of HS as well. This is one to keep an eye on. IF he gets accepted, he'll be coming to NU as a safety.

JUCO DB Javier Morton committed to the Huskers today... Nebraska took Deshon Singleton as a JUCO Safety in the early signing period and were looking for either another transfer DB or a JUCO DB. Morton is probably one of the most talented JUCO DBs in the country. Formerly a commit to Alabama out of High School (and ESPN Top 300 player). Is not rated yet by 247Sports.

He didn't qualify out of High School and went to Garden City CC for two years. He's actually not even a classic JUCO... only played one season at JUCO, and the Covid year counts for him. He has 4 seasons to play 3, so you're getting a Sophomore.

Last edited:
There were questions as to whether Javier would qualify even out of JUCO... but his transcripts apparently passed muster... There's a reason ESPN and On3 don't have a JUCO profile on him yet. I would think they are kind of surprised he qualified, as are a few other teams that likely would have taken him. He might be one of the better players in the class IMO.

I'm still super worried about that OL.

Quick update on Morton - He will be on campus by Tuesday... he will be taking part in spring ball.

I'm still super worried about that OL.

I think we all are... that said, they did get two transfer OL to come in and they are actively looking at taking a third. I think they want to close out the cycle with a few more...

Nesta-Silvera is rumored to be a Nebraska lean (between Nebraska and UCF)... he'd be a Nose Tackle replacement for Damion, and a dang good one too.

And then there's an OL and another skill player (maybe a TE or another WR) that it looks like they are wanting to take. I could see them taking an OLB as well if the right one becomes available.

And depending on how much attrition we have after spring you could see a few late summer adds as well.

I think we all are... that said, they did get two transfer OL to come in and they are actively looking at taking a third. I think they want to close out the cycle with a few more...

Nesta-Silvera is rumored to be a Nebraska lean (between Nebraska and UCF)... he'd be a Nose Tackle replacement for Damion, and a dang good one too.

And then there's an OL and another skill player (maybe a TE or another WR) that it looks like they are wanting to take. I could see them taking an OLB as well if the right one becomes available.

And depending on how much attrition we have after spring you could see a few late summer adds as well.
Pretty sad that we have to compete with UCF or G5 schools on recruits.

Nebraska will have gone 3 for 3 on visitors from this weekend with Morton's commitment... If Kylon commits, that would be 4 for 4. I do not believe Nebraska is holding a spot for Kylon, but he also has USC and Clemson interested. If I were a betting man I would anticipate a Clemson commit on signing day right now. It will be interesting to see if we send coaches out to do an in-home with him in the coming weeks.

Pretty sad that we have to compete with UCF or G5 schools on recruits.

I mean... Silvera is a former Top 50 recruit with starting experience at Miami that is a borderline draft pick... the only reason we're competing with UCF is because he is transferring from Miami and his options are limited due to scholarship tightness at places like FSU and Florida. Penn State is involved as well, but it seems they are content with development. UCF is no slouch in beating out Silvera, it's closer to home and he still thinks he can get drafted playing for them.

That said, he knows that NIL opportunities await at UNL AND that DD might get drafted after having a solid year and he is (in my opinion) already a better player than DD was when he left.

all of that to say, in wouldn't read into the fact that it is down to us and UCF at all.

Think Morton will actually be able to keep the grades up to see the field? I know they get a lot more academic support at UNL then they might have at HS or JC, but that just seems like it might be a struggle.

Think Morton will actually be able to keep the grades up to see the field? I know they get a lot more academic support at UNL then they might have at HS or JC, but that just seems like it might be a struggle.

I don't know... that'll be the question. Honestly though, if you fail at Nebraska as an athlete you are trying to fail. As long as he shows up to the academic center he should be fine.

This one took me by surprise... Didn't even know Arizona State was in the running, but that's where Nesta-Silvera ended up. Tough to lose out to them but I guess it's better than losing to a G5 school? haha... I'm sure there will be more names that pop up.

Big Junior Day coming up... I'm going to post about it in the 2023 thread. However, there is ONE official visitor from the 2022 class slated to visit this week.

Ajay Allen (3-Star, RB) [Monroe, LA] - Was committed to TCU, did not sign with them. Applewhite (Nebraska's new RB coach) was his primary recruiter. I know I know... some might say... ANOTHER running back? But after lacking production from the running back position for the past three years Nebraska is trying to flip the roster and let the cream rise to the top. Allen is the last RB they would take, and there is no guarantee that Deondre Jackson will have a spot after the spring.

Also of note... Kylon Griffin (DB that visited Lincoln last week) is visiting Clemson this weekend and then USC the weekend after that. Likely a signing day decision.

Big Junior Day coming up... I'm going to post about it in the 2023 thread. However, there is ONE official visitor from the 2022 class slated to visit this week.

Ajay Allen (3-Star, RB) [Monroe, LA] - Was committed to TCU, did not sign with them. Applewhite (Nebraska's new RB coach) was his primary recruiter. I know I know... some might say... ANOTHER running back? But after lacking production from the running back position for the past three years Nebraska is trying to flip the roster and let the cream rise to the top. Allen is the last RB they would take, and there is no guarantee that Deondre Jackson will have a spot after the spring.

Also of note... Kylon Griffin (DB that visited Lincoln last week) is visiting Clemson this weekend and then USC the weekend after that. Likely a signing day decision.

Ajay can help "LaBraska"

A few things...

1. Rumor has it that Wynden Ho'ouli did not return after break and is entering the portal. Not a huge surprise given Tuioti's exit (if true).
2. All signs point to Ajay Allen committing this weekend. But he COULD extend his recruitment to signing day. I'm told that nebraska wants him but they will not hold a spot for him.
3. Look for Nebraska to get an FCS transfer CB from the portal this weekend. Omar Brown, one of the best corners in the FCS entered the portal recently and nebraska is the likely destination.

Classes start on on Monday/Tuesday officially, so there may be some roster movement over the weekend.

As always, I'll update as more info comes available.

Kylon Griffin committed to Clemson today... I am not sure there would have been a spot for him in Nebraska's class anyway after we took Omar Brown.

Back