A 12-1 Texas is going to be left out of the CFP?

Read this with an open mind. I don't think you understand the point I was making. Pointing out 5 wins over SEC schools certainly has nothing to do with the point I was making. Let's take a look at what I wrote and what you object to:

Finally, after following CFB for almost 60 years, I am not going to have to worry about who the best 2 or best 4 teams are that get to play for the NC. For a Southerner, you can't imagine how frustrating it was to have the Midwest and West teams constantly get favoritism in the bowl selections for the top 2 in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Same during the BCS, even though it had started to change. I can't wait until you have to win it on the field.

I don't know how old you are, but you really have to understand the landscape of sports in general and CFB specifically back in the 60s, 70s, and most of the 80s. 3 channels ... ABC, NBC, CBS. That's it. The NCAA had a monopoly on what 2 games were televised on Saturday. I can tell you right now it was heavily in favor of B1G and PAC games, not the SEC. An early B1G game, and a late afternoon PAC game. Plus Notre Dame every week. It made financial sense ... they had the big alumni bases that got ratings. The SEC schools were tiny in comparison, and our sports were seen as more regional not national. We mostly listened to games on the radio, not on TV.

The OU/UGA lawsuit started the change. Then ESPN. But the big thing was the CBS contract with the SEC in 1996. That really was what brought the SEC into the forefront with the 3:30 game every Saturday. And then of course ESPN. I won't go further, but there is a reason but below is part of an article that discusses the landscape at the time, alluding to the PAC and the B1G kind of being on their own in front of everyone else.

So, my point was simply this ... I grew up in an era when the B1G and the PAC dominated the media markets and those of us in the South felt we were second hand citizens. We loved CFB, but it was a regional sport to the national media. Even a game like Auburn v. Alabama, or UGA v. Florida, wasn't as big deal as UM v. tOSU, etc. There were many times teams from the south never got an opportunity to win the NC because they didn't get into the Rose Bowl, or get into bowls where they could win it. I get that it may have gone so far the other way that the SEC gets more national media and a better chance to win the NC. My point is that I am looking forward to when none of the teams or conferences get a better chance and with 12 teams it can be decided on the field.

From the article:

In fact, in 1984 a landmark legal battle, NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, brings a precedent that emphasizes the legal and economic factors at play into sharp focus. The backdrop for this lawsuit was the rapid expansion of the telecommunications industry in the early 80s, when only 8% of homes had access to basic cable, a number that continued to grow throughout the decade. Up to that point, the NCAA had maintained a hands-off approach to regulating the televising of athletic events, except for football. In 1981, the NCAA struck separate deals with ABC and CBS, allowing them to televise games and pay participating member institutions. Concurrently, the College Football Association (CFA), established in 1977 by 63 major college football programs not participating in the PAC and Big Ten, sought to advocate for their interests in TV network negotiations. The CFA’s bold move to secure a deal with NBC raised the ire of the NCAA, which then threatened disciplinary action against CFA members.

Ultimately, the NCAA was found guilty under the Sherman (1890) and Clayton (1914) Antitrust Acts for fixing telecast prices, employing the threat of sanctions as a boycott against potential competitors, and artificially limiting televised production of college football. This verdict was upheld in The Court of Appeals, which deemed these activities as “illegal per se price-fixing” with no justifications sufficient to save the plan in terms of promoting competition.

I'm 61.

I can tell you that before cable TV (i.e. 60s 70s,) we only had ABC, NBC, and CBS as well. We maybe got 3 games on TV a year, and they were mostly regional.
I couldn't tell you about the 80s in Nebraska (when cable TV came into play) because I was off in the military either overseas or in Biloxi, MS. I can tell you the record though. Nebraska went 6-0 against the SEC.
In Biloxi (with cable) all I remember getting was Nebraska/Oklahoma, and Nebraska's bowl game (2 games). The rest was SEC football.

In the 70s as kids my buddies and I would go down to the local fishing hole on Saturdays and listen to Nebraska games on a transistor radio because they weren't on TV.

Nebraska also never played in the Rose Bowl because the Big 10 and PAC 10 had that locked up. Mind you the vast majority of Big 10 and PAC 10 games were also regional so I rarely got Big 10 or PAC 10 games either, even if it was Iowa next door.

What you're describing is what everybody experienced in their regions back in the 60s and 70s. But the SEC is the only conference that suffered?

Nebraska/Oklahoma had zero advantage over SEC teams in the media market, but beat them on the regular. That wasn't because the SEC wasn't on TV much in Big 10, Big 8, or Pac 10 regions.
SEC teams were ranked accordingly (by record) in the AP and Coaches polls.

Prior to 2000 Nebraska was 16-3-1 vs the SEC.

In the 60s and 70s Nebraska was 7-3-1 vs the SEC
All 3 losses were to Alabama where Nebraska went 2-3 against them.
In that timeframe Nebraska beat Auburn, Georgia, Florida, and LSU.
They beat Georgia 45-6. Of course that's only because Georgia wasn't on TV in the Big 8 region, right?

I'm 61.

I can tell you that before cable TV (i.e. 60s 70s,) we only had ABC, NBC, and CBS as well. We maybe got 3 games on TV a year, and they were mostly regional.
I couldn't tell you about the 80s in Nebraska (when cable TV came into play) because I was off in the military either overseas or in Biloxi, MS. I can tell you the record though. Nebraska went 6-0 against the SEC.
In Biloxi (with cable) all I remember getting was Nebraska/Oklahoma, and Nebraska's bowl game (2 games). The rest was SEC football.

In the 70s as kids my buddies and I would go down to the local fishing hole on Saturdays and listen to Nebraska games on a transistor radio because they weren't on TV.

Nebraska also never played in the Rose Bowl because the Big 10 and PAC 10 had that locked up. Mind you the vast majority of Big 10 and PAC 10 games were also regional so I rarely got Big 10 or PAC 10 games either, even if it was Iowa next door.

What you're describing is what everybody experienced in their regions back in the 60s and 70s. But the SEC is the only conference that suffered?

Nebraska/Oklahoma had zero advantage over SEC teams in the media market, but beat them on the regular. That wasn't because the SEC wasn't on TV much in Big 10, Big 8, or Pac 10 regions.

They beat Georgia 45-6. Of course that's only because Georgia wasn't on TV in the Big 8 region, right?
We got on TV with you guys and the RRSO, and maybe another matchup in OOC, then a Bowl Game.

Games were few and far between.
I listened to the radio a bunch.

We got on TV with you guys and the RRSO, and maybe another matchup in OOC, then a Bowl Game.

Games were few and far between.
I listened to the radio a bunch.

Nuh-Uhhhh

Only the SEC teams weren't on TV much.

The SEC never got big bowls like the Orange or Sugar except when they usually did. :rolleyes:

Nuh-Uhhhh

The SEC never got big bowls like the Orange or Sugar except when they usually did. :rolleyes:
Sometimes we got lucky with a good OOC game and get on, or a Conference foe was really good that year or something.

I remember watching most of the rivalry games. I like those probably because there just wasn't much football on.
USC/ND OSU/Michigan Alabama/Tennesse etc. Probably why I'm drawn to them today.

I'm 61.

You are missing my point. Not taking the time to explain again.

Nuh-Uhhhh

You are being obtuse. You are 100% missing the point I’ve made. Not a thing you typed related to the point I made. No sense in explaining further as you are locked into what you are studying that’s not in any way related to what I’ve posted.

FWIW, I never said we weren’t in TV, nor that we didn’t go to bowls. FFS, there were conference tie ins for bowls. But if you don’t think there was a heavy B1G and PAC national media bias, you really didn’t follow CFB.

What is this shit of rooting for other teams to lose to help yourself.
I blame the other teams in conferences that still have an undefeated team standing after 8-9 conference games. WTH? Bunch of chopped liver pansies making up the rest of the conference. Certainly not a murderer's row.

I blame the other teams in conferences that still have an undefeated team standing after 8-9 conference games. WTH? Bunch of chopped liver pansies making up the rest of the conference. Certainly not a murderer's row.
So, what you are saying is the rest of the PAC is trash is the reason Washington is undefeated?

Thumbs Ok GIF by Alexandre Nart

Song is for Texas and the landscape of College Football.

Times they are a changin' Texas, you're no longer seen as the big must have program to make money.

The playing field had been leveled. This is Duck country.

What is this shit of rooting for other teams to lose to help yourself.
my bad i should have started a we are all cardinals fans today...