A 12-1 Texas is going to be left out of the CFP?

UGA just has to win. We won't drop from 1 to 2 just because we won a close game. UM gets to play Iowa. If only.

Yea UGA is #1 if they win no matter what. Michigan could win 60-0 and UGA coulda win 27-24 on a last second FG and UGA would still be #1 theres nothing that's gonna change that outside of a UGA loss to Bama.

Nah, even if LSU, Georgia and Bama are three of the final four in a 12 team playoff, it in no way means South Carolina, Miss State and Kentucky are some brutal gauntlet. It means the top of the conference is a gauntlet.

This. My main beef with the SEC SEC SEC!!! crap is the constant pretending that these shit middling-low tier teams are "tough" and only have not so good records "BECAUSE SEC!"

I have a work associate who is a Kentucky goober who swears Kentucky would be a national contender if they played in the B1G. This is a real attitude in the South for those middle level SEC teams

I agree, and think Bama, Texas and UGA would beat Oregon, but that’s not gonna happen. Pac champ is locked in

Let Michigan lose to Iowa and things get interesting
If Michigan loses to Iowa, they don't deserve to be in the CFP or any bowl for that matter. Iowa's offense is so unbelievably bad.

If Michigan loses to Iowa, they don't deserve to be in the CFP or any bowl for that matter. Iowa's offense is so unbelievably bad.

Yea Michigan isn't losing to Iowa. Even if Iowa's D holds up Iowa will be lucky to ever cross the 50 on their own offensive will, itll take a long return, blocked kick or fortunate turnovers to get them into position to score.

Considering Penn State ran for 215 yards on Iowa though, i'm thinking Michigan will be able to get the run game going on them as well. Most of Iowa's defensive prowess is based on playing shit offenses.

Nah, even if LSU, Georgia and Bama are three of the final four in a 12 team playoff, it in no way means South Carolina, Miss State and Kentucky are some brutal gauntlet. It means the top of the conference is a gauntlet.
I kind of get your point ... one day we can really look at the mid teams in the conference. But at the end of the day, conferences are judged by the best teams. And, if we aren't as good at the top because we don't play as good a mid (I don't agree, but for sake of argument), then why do we almost always win at the top? If we have such an easy path because the middle of the SEC isn't any good, why don't the other top teams beat our top teams all the time>

This. My main beef with the SEC SEC SEC!!! crap is the constant pretending that these shit middling-low tier teams are "tough" and only have not so good records "BECAUSE SEC!"

I have a work associate who is a Kentucky goober who swears Kentucky would be a national contender if they played in the B1G. This is a real attitude in the South for those middle level SEC teams
All conferences have middles and lowers and who they are may change from year to year. The B1G and the SEC have clear "tops". No doubt about it. I'm not sure the other three have "tops". The PAC 12 probably does this year with Washington and Oregon. But that hasn't been the norm. Next year I expect the Big 12 will be one big frickin' middle. Some of them will have to be the top and bottom but they'll still really be middle. JMO.

Yea UGA is #1 if they win no matter what. Michigan could win 60-0 and UGA coulda win 27-24 on a last second FG and UGA would still be #1 theres nothing that's gonna change that outside of a UGA loss to Bama.
Now if Nebraska was #2 with a retiring coach, THEN UGA would be in trouble.

I kind of get your point ... one day we can really look at the mid teams in the conference. But at the end of the day, conferences are judged by the best teams. And, if we aren't as good at the top because we don't play as good a mid (I don't agree, but for sake of argument), then why do we almost always win at the top? If we have such an easy path because the middle of the SEC isn't any good, why don't the other top teams beat our top teams all the time>
Simple. Because the SEC top teams have been better than the other conferences top teams. And in some years a hell of a lot better. Only exceptions have been Clem and tOSU.

Man, if only there was someone who has been saying that for the last decade plus!

What if OU is better than UM? That's the problem with saying that one team lost to another in their conference. We don't play enough inter-conference games to know. I think a good argument can be made the B1G is way down this year. Their offenses are horrendous, or is it that they have unreal defenses? You see, we don't really know. This is why the 12-team is going to really reveal some asses of some teams and conferences.

For example, if the SEC regularly gets 2-3 of the final 4 in, and continues to win the NC, you shlubs are going to have to give up that whole "the SEC is not as good as the national media thinks" trope. On the other hand, if the SEC teams get beat in the 1st and 2nd rounds, and suddenly we get a bunch of ACC, B1G, and B12 teams in the final 4, you can say that all you want.

Finally, after following CFB for almost 60 years, I am not going to have to worry about who the best 2 or best 4 teams are that get to play for the NC. For a Southerner, you can't imagine how frustrating it was to have the Midwest and West teams constantly get favoritism in the bowl selections for the top 2 in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Same during the BCS, even though it had started to change. I can't wait until you have to win it on the field. And I know you guys who think the SEC is overrated can't wait to make our teams earn it on the field, even if we kind of already have in the 4-team era. I am open to that even if I don't like the results.

The bold is a bunch of BS.

4 of the 5 Nebraska NCs were won against SEC teams.

1970 (1971 Orange Bowl)
Nebraska: 17
LSU: 12

1971 (1972 Orange Bowl)
Nebraska: 38
Alabama: 6

1995 (1996 Fiesta Bowl)
Nebraska: 62
Florida: 24

1997 (1998 Orange Bowl)
Nebraska: 42
Tennessee: 17

You work with him again? Why would you do that to yourself?

:pop2:

I agree, but the language is there for them to say, sorry, 11 of your games were with a Heisman-level QB. In the last 2, we saw you barely beat a 5-7 UF team, and then win close to Louisville who just lost to Kentucky. We just don't think you are one of the top 4.

That would be a hell of a thing to do. But if there was ever a time to do it, the year after TCU got destroyed would be the year. I mean, which of you who have a shot of getting in aren't hoping that you are the 1 seed and get to play FSU at the 4 seed? If you are honest you know you are. I know I am. Just like I was elated we got to play TCU last year. Getting to play FSU then the winner of UM/Ore-UW-UT is the ideal scenario.
I wonder if it comes down to it, the CFP will say (in the back room of course) "Well, Florida State isn't one of the 4 best teams and thank God this is the last season we have this possible outcome. People will forget about this situation next season." I know injuries can happen in the future, but we are talking about 12 teams then. Now, I am left to wonder if the Noles win out and are voted top 4, will the "expected" blowout affect ticket sales?

I wonder if it comes down to it, the CFP will say (in the back room of course) "Well, Florida State isn't one of the 4 best teams and thank God this is the last season we have this possible outcome. People will forget about this situation next season." I know injuries can happen in the future, but we are talking about 12 teams then. Now, I am left to wonder if the Noles win out and are voted top 4, will the "expected" blowout affect ticket sales?

TV ratings are the bigger concern over ticket sales. People will still tune in though.

The bold is a bunch of BS.

4 of the 5 Nebraska NCs were won against SEC teams.

1970 (1971 Orange Bowl)
Nebraska: 17
LSU: 12

1971 (1972 Orange Bowl)
Nebraska: 38
Alabama: 6

1995 (1996 Fiesta Bowl)
Nebraska: 62
Florida: 24

1997 (1998 Orange Bowl)
Nebraska: 42
Tennessee: 17
Read this with an open mind. I don't think you understand the point I was making. Pointing out 5 wins over SEC schools certainly has nothing to do with the point I was making. Let's take a look at what I wrote and what you object to:

Finally, after following CFB for almost 60 years, I am not going to have to worry about who the best 2 or best 4 teams are that get to play for the NC. For a Southerner, you can't imagine how frustrating it was to have the Midwest and West teams constantly get favoritism in the bowl selections for the top 2 in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Same during the BCS, even though it had started to change. I can't wait until you have to win it on the field.

I don't know how old you are, but you really have to understand the landscape of sports in general and CFB specifically back in the 60s, 70s, and most of the 80s. 3 channels ... ABC, NBC, CBS. That's it. The NCAA had a monopoly on what 2 games were televised on Saturday. I can tell you right now it was heavily in favor of B1G and PAC games, not the SEC. An early B1G game, and a late afternoon PAC game. Plus Notre Dame every week. It made financial sense ... they had the big alumni bases that got ratings. The SEC schools were tiny in comparison, and our sports were seen as more regional not national. We mostly listened to games on the radio, not on TV.

The OU/UGA lawsuit started the change. Then ESPN. But the big thing was the CBS contract with the SEC in 1996. That really was what brought the SEC into the forefront with the 3:30 game every Saturday. And then of course ESPN. I won't go further, but there is a reason but below is part of an article that discusses the landscape at the time, alluding to the PAC and the B1G kind of being on their own in front of everyone else.

So, my point was simply this ... I grew up in an era when the B1G and the PAC dominated the media markets and those of us in the South felt we were second hand citizens. We loved CFB, but it was a regional sport to the national media. Even a game like Auburn v. Alabama, or UGA v. Florida, wasn't as big deal as UM v. tOSU, etc. There were many times teams from the south never got an opportunity to win the NC because they didn't get into the Rose Bowl, or get into bowls where they could win it. I get that it may have gone so far the other way that the SEC gets more national media and a better chance to win the NC. My point is that I am looking forward to when none of the teams or conferences get a better chance and with 12 teams it can be decided on the field.

From the article:

In fact, in 1984 a landmark legal battle, NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, brings a precedent that emphasizes the legal and economic factors at play into sharp focus. The backdrop for this lawsuit was the rapid expansion of the telecommunications industry in the early 80s, when only 8% of homes had access to basic cable, a number that continued to grow throughout the decade. Up to that point, the NCAA had maintained a hands-off approach to regulating the televising of athletic events, except for football. In 1981, the NCAA struck separate deals with ABC and CBS, allowing them to televise games and pay participating member institutions. Concurrently, the College Football Association (CFA), established in 1977 by 63 major college football programs not participating in the PAC and Big Ten, sought to advocate for their interests in TV network negotiations. The CFA’s bold move to secure a deal with NBC raised the ire of the NCAA, which then threatened disciplinary action against CFA members.

Ultimately, the NCAA was found guilty under the Sherman (1890) and Clayton (1914) Antitrust Acts for fixing telecast prices, employing the threat of sanctions as a boycott against potential competitors, and artificially limiting televised production of college football. This verdict was upheld in The Court of Appeals, which deemed these activities as “illegal per se price-fixing” with no justifications sufficient to save the plan in terms of promoting competition.

Back