April 8 Total Solar Eclipse thread

not lookin good in east tx -
Screenshot_20240404_195054_Chrome.jpg

hope the rest of yall enjoy the event -

We're leaving Sunday for Adirondack Park. Looks like it'll be partly cloudy and in the 60's, so we're hopeful. Still gotta get some smoked glasses
Six packed got delivered today.

If you want swing by Toledo, I can spare a couple.

I feel bad for the people who traveled hundreds of miles and paid premium $$$ for hotel stays to watch the eclipse only to have it clouded over.

Bummer.

History Buffs: Apocalypto - YouTube

The eclipse reminds me of this movie.

I have yet to see the sun today.

If it's like this on Monday, there are gonna a lot of very unhappy campers.

People are paying upwards of a hundred dollars for parking spaces in small business lots come Monday.

I am taking advantage of the darkness during the day.

Tired Good Night GIF

Now it looks like we will have all cloudy skies. :pout:

I drove down to Tennessee in 2017 to catch the eclipse. A great experience except for the hours of backup traffic on the interstate returning to Phila. Weather looks to be cloudy in Niagara Falls so I may skip this year's event.

8/21/17 2:32 PM
1712521100603.jpeg

I drove down to Tennessee in 2017 to catch the eclipse. A great experience except for the hours of backup traffic on the interstate returning to Phila. Weather looks to be cloudy in Niagara Falls so I may skip this year's event.

8/21/17 2:32 PM
View attachment 118313

My pics from the total eclipse in August 2017 across Nebraska. It was under a 2 hour drive to get there out on a county road in farm country. Easily took over 4 hours to get home as traffic on I-80 was at a standstill for miles and miles.

I'm not going this year since I've already completed that bucket list item and it'd be an all day drive and overnight to see this one. I used a solar filter (shown in the pics to take these) on my Nikon camera.
Unfortunately I was out of focus for the 'Diamond Ring' portion of the eclipse which is in the split second as the sun initially pops out.
I did get some nice solar flares during the full eclipse though.

1712541106822.png

1712541185415.png

1712541209742.png

1712541297991.png

Be sure not to get this song stuck in your head.

Laughing at the thought of hundreds of people being stuck in traffic going to fucking Erie just for it to be cloudy all day.