Movie Dune: Part 2 (2024)

I get it was better CGI but same exact story. They really didn't change shit.
Well they got rid of the weird voice guns for one. They explained better why Paul didn't want to follow the path laid out before him.

Just saw it. It was excellent! I definitely liked how they did Geidi Prime and the anesthetics of that place. Also it was good to see the fremen be brown and black, just makes sense.

Some minor changes and missing stuff from the books. Nothing colossal as far as I recall, but it's been a minute since I read it.

Just saw it. It was excellent! I definitely liked how they did Geidi Prime and the anesthetics of that place. Also it was good to see the fremen be brown and black, just makes sense.

Some minor changes and missing stuff from the books. Nothing colossal as far as I recall, but it's been a minute since I read it.
I hope the role of the Mentat are further explored better than in Part 1.

Well they got rid of the weird voice guns for one. They explained better why Paul didn't want to follow the path laid out before him.
So your saying it was the same exact story. Maybe a bit more explanation but exactly the same.

So your saying it was the same exact story. Maybe a bit more explanation but exactly the same.
No, not EXACTLY the same, there is a lot more detail and explanation. Both are based off of the same book so I am not sure what you might have expected in the way of a different story.

the first part was a lot of world building, which is necessary in a story like this. You need to understand the politics and what is actually going on.

It took me 2 reads of the book to finally get it...and even then it was tough....but the first part is always the hardest.

Saw part 2 on Saturday night in some Extreme style theater where the seats had speakers under them and rumbled like a Playstation controller back in the day (maybe they still do that today?)

but it was damn good

I had said something similar earlier. Part 1 was difficult for me to keep up and I didn't like it so much. One reason was because i was doing chores while watching it. After reading other reviews, I gave it another look and paid more attention and I liked it a lot. And then I watched it a few weeks ago just to get back up to speed and liked it even more, picking up tidbits here and there.

Dune part 1 was actually very good. But there was so much to take in. This could have easily been a mini series.

A lot more detail and explanation.

I had said something similar earlier. Part 1 was difficult for me to keep up and I didn't like it so much. One reason was because i was doing chores while watching it. After reading other reviews, I gave it another look and paid more attention and I liked it a lot. And then I watched it a few weeks ago just to get back up to speed and liked it even more, picking up tidbits here and there.

Dune part 1 was actually very good. But there was so much to take in. This could have easily been a mini series.
Well, it already was a miniseries. But I get what you say. The 2000 series was mighty close to accurate. I have them all on DVD. There were some big names in it too. But the low production budget was apparent. It did a good job telling the story but there weren't any bells and whistles.

Judging from the way this ended I think there is going to be more movies coming.

Did the book have Lady Fenring get impregnated by Feyd? I don't recall that. And the way it left this, plus the idea that Chani left in a huff at the end makes me think there is another movie. Aliah hasn't even been born yet so that needs to be fleshed out. Too many open ends still to call it quits.

^^^not going to look^^^

Judging from the way this ended I think there is going to be more movies coming.

Did the book have Lady Fenring get impregnated by Feyd? I don't recall that. And the way it left this, plus the idea that Chani left in a huff at the end makes me think there is another movie. Aliah hasn't even been born yet so that needs to be fleshed out. Too many open ends still to call it quits.

Villeneuve has already said he wants to do a third one (Messiah) but wants to take a little break to 1) Do some other projects and 2)Let some of the cast age up naturally to be closer in appearance to the events in the next book. Part 2 changed some things so they'll have to work in some stuff for Messiah to make it work. I've also seen some speculation, though it seems to be just fans guessing right now, that a third movie might be a mash up of Messiah and Children of Dune

Villeneuve has already said he wants to do a third one (Messiah) but wants to take a little break to 1) Do some other projects and 2)Let some of the cast age up naturally to be closer in appearance to the events in the next book. Part 2 changed some things so they'll have to work in some stuff for Messiah to make it work. I've also seen some speculation, though it seems to be just fans guessing right now, that a third movie might be a mash up of Messiah and Children of Dune
I thought Messiah was the weakest of the first 3 books. Might be a good move to cut it up a bit and focus mostly on the twins.

I'm getting the hankering to reread the whole thing now.

I thought Messiah was the weakest of the first 3 books. Might be a good move to cut it up a bit and focus mostly on the twins.

I've never fully read any of the books but knew of the stories thru pop culture osmosis, read detailed summaries of them, etc over the years. The gist of 3rd movie idea is the Messiah book contents wouldn't be strong enough to carry a 3rd movie by itself. So much of the war Paul incites at the end of the movie (Part 2) has already taken place when it moves to the Messiah book and its more "palace intrigue" type drama than action. Mashing Messiah/Children together might solve the issue of getting enough content to put together 2.5 hr movie.

I've never fully read any of the books but knew of the stories thru pop culture osmosis, read detailed summaries of them, etc over the years. The gist of 3rd movie idea is the Messiah book contents wouldn't be strong enough to carry a 3rd movie by itself. So much of the war Paul incites at the end of the movie (Part 2) has already taken place when it moves to the Messiah book and its more "palace intrigue" type drama than action. Mashing Messiah/Children together might solve the issue of getting enough content to put together 2.5 hr movie.
I completely agree.

I watched part 1 twice, the second time with my daughter. She walked out on it about half way through and I was left just as unimpressed as when I watched it the first time. I will watch part 2, but they OWE me, so it better be fucking awesome!

OMG Messiah by itself would be rough.

No, not EXACTLY the same, there is a lot more detail and explanation. Both are based off of the same book so I am not sure what you might have expected in the way of a different story.
Well since I am now used to seeing movies by different directors a different movie. You know, like batman movies, every reboot different. Sure parents killed and the joker but you know, different.

I thought Messiah was a great book, but yeah, not really movie material. It's hard to think and watch at the same time.

Hoping by next weekend it'll be possible to get an imax ticket to see this movie finally.

Did the book have Lady Fenring get impregnated by Feyd? I don't recall that.

Sort of. It partially depends on if you consider the continuation novels by Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert to be canonical.

In the original Dune novel by Frank Herbert, Margot and her husband plot to have her seduce and be impregnated by Feyd-Rautha. Margot is sure she will succeed because she believes Feyd lusts after her, but it is never actually confirmed if she does.

In Brian Herbert's Paul of Dune, Margot succeeded and had a daughter by Feyd named Marie who
tries to assassinate Paul but is stopped and killed by Alia.