EPL 2023/2024

Garnacho a goofy looking dude. The Argentine Justin Bieber.

Antony 100 million for 0 goals and 0 assists this season. If that ain’t comedy don’t know what is lol.

For the past decade or so it has been funny to joke about Man U and Arsenal spending absurd money on players that didn't pan out. The list is long, but every summer they would shell out silly money in a desperate attempt to bring in that "one piece" that would magically turn them into contenders. Then a few years later they would cut ties with those players for big losses to focus on their new failed targets.

Unfortunately, from a Spurs perspective, Arsenal seem to be getting things right recently. Man U still rolling out wagonloads of cash for bad fits is at least still amusing.

Diaz has to score on these but this game is real high end stuff!!

Nice win for Spurs today… they needed that one 🍺

happy pirates of the caribbean GIF

For the past decade or so it has been funny to joke about Man U and Arsenal spending absurd money on players that didn't pan out. The list is long, but every summer they would shell out silly money in a desperate attempt to bring in that "one piece" that would magically turn them into contenders. Then a few years later they would cut ties with those players for big losses to focus on their new failed targets.

Unfortunately, from a Spurs perspective, Arsenal seem to be getting things right recently. Man U still rolling out wagonloads of cash for bad fits is at least still amusing.
The thing they don't seem to realizes is that there is no "missing piece", it takes a team and several great players. Look at Arsenal in the early 2000's, Henry was phenomenal, but without Vieira, Gilberto, Bergkamp etc they would have done nothing. Same with ManU during the Fergie years, it wasn't one person or player that made them dominant.

The thing they don't seem to realizes is that there is no "missing piece", it takes a team and several great players. Look at Arsenal in the early 2000's, Henry was phenomenal, but without Vieira, Gilberto, Bergkamp etc they would have done nothing. Same with ManU during the Fergie years, it wasn't one person or player that made them dominant.

IMO, its a very relatable thing to what we see in american professional sports.

The most successful clubs have clear plans, coaching & front office consistency, and an identifiable playstyle. It also doesn't happen overnight. It takes several transfer windows to get the right group of players in that fills out a squad to suit the club's objectives.

The playing field is much more level in the US, but we have the same issues. Some franchises seemingly always get it right while others are forever chasing. There is some luck involved, but mostly its about having a clear plan and having the nerve and intelligence to stick to it. Too many franchises and clubs chase a quick fix thinking they are right on the cusp of greatness when in reality they just take a step forwards and two backwards each time they try to change things up.

IMO, its a very relatable thing to what we see in american professional sports.

The most successful clubs have clear plans, coaching & front office consistency, and an identifiable playstyle. It also doesn't happen overnight. It takes several transfer windows to get the right group of players in that fills out a squad to suit the club's objectives.

The playing field is much more level in the US, but we have the same issues. Some franchises seemingly always get it right while others are forever chasing. There is some luck involved, but mostly its about having a clear plan and having the nerve and intelligence to stick to it. Too many franchises and clubs chase a quick fix thinking they are right on the cusp of greatness when in reality they just take a step forwards and two backwards each time they try to change things up.
This 100%. Even if ManU were to get say Mbappe, or even prime Ronaldo or Messi, yes they'd score, but without the right support/teammates, they'd be in the same spot as they are now.

Arsenal and ManU both had that plan, coaching and back office support. Both clearly got away from that.

Some managers don't get it either. I think Arteta gets it, I also think Emery got it but wasn't given the time/resources that Arteta has been given, but I think the Kroenkes finally get it now too. ManU has just been a shitshow since Fergie retired.

In non-EPL news, Wrexham is solidly top 3 in League 2 right now and looking at another promotion if they can keep it up down the home stretch.

That Spurs result today that yielded them 0 points is very good for the top 3. Puts them basically at a 3 game advantage with 10 to play. Yes the goal is winning it but getting that champions league bid should be a priority. (Looking at you Liverpool)

I guess Klopp got it wrong today. Up 2-1 out with Salah and Robertson. Best I have seen Manchester United in a long time.

Arsenal hanging with Man City today. I believe that was the first time in 57 games City has not scored at home. I really enjoyed Gabriel frustrating the crap out of Haaland.

Got a real title race and 4th place race heading down the stretch.

Both Villa and Spurs have to play all 3 of the top sides before the end of the year still (they each also have to play Chelsea). How they fare in those games will likely determine not only who ends up in 4th but also who ultimately takes home the title. Gonna be a very interesting April-May.

Once again VAR screws West Ham, again.

I can't for the life of me understand how VAR is so bad in England compared to the other European Leagues.

Once again VAR screws West Ham, again.

I can't for the life of me understand how VAR is so bad in England compared to the other European Leagues.

Did you happen to see the Spurs goal that was called off?

First half there was a wacky scene where Son rounded the keeper and his shot hit both posts before rebounding out. Timo then smacked a followup right into the guy in front of him followed by Sarr who did the same with that rebound. All with the keeper basically out of the picture.

But the really wild one was in the 2nd half with Spurs chasing a go ahead goal. Timo crosses to Johnson who is about a yard infront of the goal. He chips and it hits the keeper's arm and goes sideways. Trickles fully inside the post before a Luton player clears. The goal line tech didn't come out with the image for 10 min and when they did there was just the smallest sliver of the ball touching the line. I'm convinced they fucked up because it took so long. Spurs still won but that could have been a killer if it ended in a draw.

Did you happen to see the Spurs goal that was called off?

First half there was a wacky scene where Son rounded the keeper and his shot hit both posts before rebounding out. Timo then smacked a followup right into the guy in front of him followed by Sarr who did the same with that rebound. All with the keeper basically out of the picture.

But the really wild one was in the 2nd half with Spurs chasing a go ahead goal. Timo crosses to Johnson who is about a yard infront of the goal. He chips and it hits the keeper's arm and goes sideways. Trickles fully inside the post before a Luton player clears. The goal line tech didn't come out with the image for 10 min and when they did there was just the smallest sliver of the ball touching the line. I'm convinced they fucked up because it took so long. Spurs still won but that could have been a killer if it ended in a draw.
yeah, saw it. VAR in England really sucks. It shouldn't be a huge talking point week in week out. It shouldn't take so long for a decision one way or another, and it's inconsistent, what it allows one game, it denies in another.

The English FA continuously drop the ball on this, you never see this crap in LaLiga, Serie A, or Bundesliga.

@rsw626 i had to sneakily watch on my phone at the office. Looked like today's match was a bruiser.
Always a tough one, both teams always seem to play their hardest against each other.

IMO West Ham v Spurs is a better rivalry than Spurs v Arsenal.