tOfficial B1G Thread

surprised PSU isn't ahead of us
I was more surprised PSU was ahead of USC. They snagged UCLA's defensive coordinator who did a terrific job last year, which seems to be the missing piece for USC.

I was more surprised PSU was ahead of USC. They snagged UCLA's defensive coordinator who did a terrific job last year, which seems to be the missing piece for USC.

It's not just the coach. Riley puts zero effort into recruiting defensive players

It's not just the coach. Riley puts zero effort into recruiting defensive players
He's been way more content trying to fill that side with transfers, but I don't know that I'd say UCLA in 2023 had more talent defensively than USC in 2024. The Penn State @ USC game is going to be fun to watch.

He's been way more content trying to fill that side with transfers, but I don't know that I'd say UCLA in 2023 had more talent defensively than USC in 2024. The Penn State @ USC game is going to be fun to watch.

We'll see how that goes. UCLA had a damn good defense last season. 14th in scoring D and only gave up 4.6 YPP. The run defense held teams to 2.7 YPC and only four teams even managed above that number (Arizona, Cal, Oregon State, Boise State). Only two teams managed above 400 yards against them and they held USC to only 20 points and 5.9 yards per play (their 2nd worse figure).

At least the USC defense couldn't possibly perform worse... 121st in scoring and gave up 6.1 YPP last year. They gave up 4.8 YPC. Pass defense also gave up 31 TDs, a 64% completion percentage allowed, and gave up 7.7 Y/A. He'll be hard pressed to match that level of ineptitude.

We'll see how that goes. UCLA had a damn good defense last season. 14th in scoring D and only gave up 4.6 YPP. The run defense held teams to 2.7 YPC and only four teams even managed above that number (Arizona, Cal, Oregon State, Boise State). Only two teams managed above 400 yards against them and they held USC to only 20 points and 5.9 yards per play (their 2nd worse figure).

At least the USC defense couldn't possibly perform worse... 121st in scoring and gave up 6.1 YPP last year. They gave up 4.8 YPC. Pass defense also gave up 31 TDs, a 64% completion percentage allowed, and gave up 7.7 Y/A. He'll be hard pressed to match that level of ineptitude.
Oh yeah, he did wonders on the UCLA defense. They were awful for the 5 years before Lynn got there, and in just one year he made them arguably the best in the Pac-12. I think he can have a similar turnaround at USC, though maybe not in year 1 with that schedule.

Sooooo, four teams from the “weak” PAC 12 come to the “mighty” B1G and three of them are forecast to finish in the top half of the conference? Hmmmm
Another way to look at it is #1 & 2 in the PAC are projected to finish 2nd and 8th in the B1G.

And holy shit. Nebraska at 9th???

Fingers crossed!!!

I think Nebraska finishes higher than 9th.

9th in the Big Ten and that puts in the top half of the conference!

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Oh yeah, he did wonders on the UCLA defense. They were awful for the 5 years before Lynn got there, and in just one year he made them arguably the best in the Pac-12. I think he can have a similar turnaround at USC, though maybe not in year 1 with that schedule.

Could be an ugly season if that run defense doesn't improve much. They dodge Oregon and OSU which is nice, but it's not an easy schedule

Sooooo, four teams from the “weak” PAC 12 come to the “mighty” B1G and three of them are forecast to finish in the top half of the conference? Hmmmm
Poor bait

Washington and Oregon were both title contenders last year

This is a big loss, Michigan's secondary is paper thin.

Still returning Will and Quentin Johnsons, and Paige, but losing Moore is a huge bummer. Dude was one of the best safeties I've ever seen play at Michigan, I just hope he'll have a successful recovery and can get ready for the NFL. Makes losing Sabb in the portal hurt even more. Gotta hope Zeke Berry is ready to contribute this year

Still returning Will and Quentin Johnsons, and Paige, but losing Moore is a huge bummer. Dude was one of the best safeties I've ever seen play at Michigan, I just hope he'll have a successful recovery and can get ready for the NFL. Makes losing Sabb in the portal hurt even more. Gotta hope Zeke Berry is ready to contribute this year
Moore was the real deal. Obviously I want to see us get the W this year but seeing guys get injured sucks. Hopefully it's a quick recovery.

welp.. i'll go ahead and jot down another moon shot TD for Quinn in September #HookEm