tOfficial Bourbon thread

Couple of my good friends and I have been on a bourbon kick for years now. Obviously we've tried most of the non blended real bourbon brands that are available around here, but for me and my best friend Chris we have been going across the top shelf of the New Hampshire liquor stores and trying pretty much everything we confined that we haven't tried already. Last Saturday evening we sat down for a few hours in finished off a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean, aged at sea.

My absolute favorite is the Booker's True Barrel, small batch/single barrel, runs about 127-129 proof depending on your batch and is so fucking smooth all I have to say about that shit is be careful. It runs pretty close to 80 bucks a bottle nowadays at the New Hampshire liquor stores.

Woodford Reserve and Woodford Reserve double oaked are also pretty high on my list of go to bourbons.

Last edited:
If you can get your hands on some of this, you'll be a happy camper:

View attachment 22564

For whatever reason, in Dallas Buffalo Trace is difficult to find. High demand I suppose. In other parts of the country I've heard its up on the shelves like any other good bourbon. If you cant find it at your store of choice, go ahead and ask the clerk. Chances are they have some behind the register for those who ask.
That's what I was talking about earlier. It's in high demand because people associate it with Pappy because "sazerac". There are 30+ bottles on the shelf at my local place and a sign of "one per customer". But no one is falling for it, or the OW Spec Res beside it. I know their marketing group is really playing up "similar mash bill to Pappy", but they aren't really close. BT is ok, I put it on par with Beam white. Great for cocktails, not a sipper.

Couple of my good friends and I have been on a bourbon kick for years now. Obviously we've tried most of the non blended real bourbon brands that are available around here, but for me and my best friend Chris we have been going across the top shelf of the New Hampshire liquor stores and trying pretty much everything we confined that we haven't tried already. Last Saturday evening we sat down for a few hours in finished off a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean, aged at sea.

My absolute favorite is the Booker's True Barrel, small batch/single barrel, runs about 127-129 proof depending on your batch and is so fucking smooth all I have to say about that shit is be careful. It runs pretty close to 80 bucks a bottle nowadays at the New Hampshire liquor stores.

Woodford Reserve and Woodford Reserve double oaked are also pretty high on my list of go to bourbons.
Bookers is great, but impossible to find down here. If you do, it's going to be north of $100 and I don't think it is worth that when there are still good ones to be found on the shelf. Lil Book is really making a killing off their allocation process.

That's what I was talking about earlier. It's in high demand because people associate it with Pappy because "sazerac". There are 30+ bottles on the shelf at my local place and a sign of "one per customer". But no one is falling for it, or the OW Spec Res beside it. I know their marketing group is really playing up "similar mash bill to Pappy", but they aren't really close. BT is ok, I put it on par with Beam white. Great for cocktails, not a sipper.

Same group that does Blantons right?

I don't normally seek it out. Woodford or Bulleit is normally good enough for me.

Same group that does Blantons right?

I don't normally seek it out. Woodford or Bulleit is normally good enough for me.
Yeah, blantons is meh as well. It's all hype. Pappy's lot B is great, not worth the price. The 20 year pappy's is hard to drink, but everyone will do it if they spent that much. hype machine drives a lot of taters out there.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-08-at-10.39.07-AM.jpg

For the Bulleit drinkers, go buy this. It's plentiful and can be picked up for under $40. It is amazing and this distiller is who Bulleit is sourced from. IMO the Small Batch is their best one, also one of their cheaper ones. Watch out not to accidentally get the "small batch select" which is more harsh and costs twenty bucks more.

Yeah, blantons is meh as well. It's all hype. Pappy's lot B is great, not worth the price. The 20 year pappy's is hard to drink, but everyone will do it if they spent that much. hype machine drives a lot of taters out there.
Have you tried the Cleveland Underground group of small batch bourbons? I believe I have 3 different flavours/styles available to me here in our state liquor stores and I've tried 2 of them. There's one called Cleveland Underground Cherry, which is aged in Cherry casks and I found it to be pretty smooth and with a hint of the cherry obviously. I know it is sacrilegious to have a bourbon that is not distilled in Kentucky I would give it a solid 6.5/7.

Have you tried the Cleveland Underground group of small batch bourbons? I believe I have 3 different flavours/styles available to me here in our state liquor stores and I've tried 2 of them. There's one called Cleveland Underground Cherry, which is aged in Cherry casks and I found it to be pretty smooth and with a hint of the cherry obviously. I know it is sacrilegious to have a bourbon that is not distilled in Kentucky I would give it a solid 6.5/7.
I have not heard of it. Have you heard of the California Gold? My buddy was able to buy a bottle through some channels and it was insane. The story behind it is just as amazing as well.

I'll look for Cleveland Underground. Up in Indiana is the Huber Starlight distillery. Recently traded for a couple of their bottles. Very good stuff, impossible to find down here if not for a hookup in the Illinois area able to scrounge and ship to a contact down here. My latest pick was their Buzz'd Lightyear. A bit embarrassed to have the bottle up on my shelf but makes a great conversation piece.

I got a list that I'm working on.....291, Larceny, and Best Eagle. I'd like to try Pappy's at some point.

Right now there are probably 6 bottles in my cabinet, nothing special tho. Crown, Ole Grandad, Tullamore Dew, etc

If you don't like Woodford then I don't think we can be friends.

My favorite two Ryes are:

1. Jefferson Rye - Note this is a blended whiskey and not your traditional distillery.
2. Bulleit Rye - This is actually one of the best values in the liquor store in my opinion.
I have been digging the Woodford Rye lately $40.

I got a list that I'm working on.....291, Larceny, and Best Eagle. I'd like to try Pappy's at some point.

Right now there are probably 6 bottles in my cabinet, nothing special tho. Crown, Ole Grandad, Tullamore Dew, etc
I always hear about old grandad, and mellow corn, but haven't tried either. Larceny is pretty good, it's a mellow wheated with flavor.

I always hear about old grandad, and mellow corn, but haven't tried either. Larceny is pretty good, it's a mellow wheated with flavor.
It's for mixing....not great neat but won't take your breathe away.

Yeah, if you like Jefferson then we definitely can't be friends. :happy:

Both of your fav's listed there aren't distilled by either brand, both are sourced or contracted. You should try Four Roses if you like bulleit, much better and will cost way less. Jefferson...I mean it has its place and I wouldn't turn it away but even though I can't pick up all the tones like more seasoned bourbon vets can, I don't get anything from them. Woodford is good, but I can literally find more interesting bottles for less. Jefferson and Woodford both are just big at marketing.

I'm surprised you aren't a WT Rare Breed fan. I just cracked one of those open last night for the first time and I'm impressed as hell by it. It's a standard production run at 116 proof but doesn't have overpowering heat. Drinks like it is 90 proof. The Masters Keep is out soon, will be watching for it. Pricey as all get out but I hear great things about it for those who like Rare Breed.
I think you are discounting that I specified RYE when talking about Jefferson and Bulleit. I'm not a fan of any of the other Jefferson offerings (including the overhyped "Ocean") but I don't mind Bulleit Bourbon but think their RYE is their best offering.

Bulleit Bourbon lacks the smoothness I prefer but it's not a bad option. I've got zero love for Four Roses and don't understand why so many are fans. It's not horrible but I'm not buying it with my own money.

I kinda like Breckenridge that is made in Colorado but the price has gone up about 25% since I first tried it and that's pushing it. However, if you haven't had it then it's worth a shot.

I've been wanting to try some of the Japanese-made whiskeys because they have been winning awards but I haven't found the time to research them and track a bottle down.

I have been digging the Woodford Rye lately $40.
I'm not a fan of the Woodford Rye (and I'm a huge Woodford guy) but it's not terrible. Try the Bulleit and let me know what you think.

I'm not a fan of the Woodford Rye (and I'm a huge Woodford guy) but it's not terrible. Try the Bulleit and let me know what you think.
I like it. Had it many times.

I think you are discounting that I specified RYE when talking about Jefferson and Bulleit. I'm not a fan of any of the other Jefferson offerings (including the overhyped "Ocean") but I don't mind Bulleit Bourbon but think their RYE is their best offering.

Bulleit Bourbon lacks the smoothness I prefer but it's not a bad option. I've got zero love for Four Roses and don't understand why so many are fans. It's not horrible but I'm not buying it with my own money.

I kinda like Breckenridge that is made in Colorado but the price has gone up about 25% since I first tried it and that's pushing it. However, if you haven't had it then it's worth a shot.

I've been wanting to try some of the Japanese-made whiskeys because they have been winning awards but I haven't found the time to research them and track a bottle down.
Breckinridge to me is the same as Balcones, even the bottles look the same. They both have like 80 different flavors, too much to be able to get a consistent profile.

I'm not a rye guy, but I do have a batch 10 of the Roaming Man rye that I haven't opened. It was offered up to me so I got it, a 375ml bottle in case I eve come around on ryes. Batch 11 just hit the shelves on Monday though, I hear if you really like rye's then it's a must try. Supposedly has a lot of black pepper tones to it.

Bookers is great, but impossible to find down here. If you do, it's going to be north of $100 and I don't think it is worth that when there are still good ones to be found on the shelf. Lil Book is really making a killing off their allocation process.
I saw a Box of Lil Book on the top shelf yesterday when I was at store and it was 120 bucks. There's going to have to be a serious reason to celebrate for me to spend that kind of money on a bottle of bourbon.

I'm glad I went through my heavier bourbon faze about 8-9 years ago. Bookers was easy to buy, and only about $50 (if I remember correctly)

Not bourbon, but my brother sent me a bottle of Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique.

I typically drink my bourbon neat, but every now and then I'll fix an Old Fashioned.

Favorites in relatively decreasing cost (starting in the $45-50 range)

- Four Roses Single Barrel
- Legent
- Woodford Reserve
- Evan Williams Single Barrel
- Maker's Mark
- Henry McKenna Single Barrel (my overall favorite)
- Bulleit
- Knobb Creek
- Old Forrester
- Evan Williams White (typically always kept on hand)
- Benchmark (best cheap bourbon I'd buy again)