tOfficial Fire Ryan Day thread.

On defense -- it is much tougher to predict, especially on the defensive line, regardless of their ranking how a recruit will turn out. So many of those DT's and DE's just overwhelm HS kids, they get to the college and now they are up against guys as strong as they are.
I think the biggest issue is the last thing you mentioned. Instead of playing to the defense's strengths -- they were playing to the opponents strengths. OSU definitely doesn't have the CB's to put them on an island, but OSU did that to them in the 1st half to try and sell out to stop the run.

They have to find a happy medium for the defense and put the players in positions to succeed. I still think OSU is going to get into the CFP.

The problem is it’s real easy for these coaches to get complacent and be convinced “it works” because we have so much talent it never really gets exposed against most teams along the way. The refusal to adjust is just ignorant coaching though as I’ve pointed out all season.

Day needs to give up play calling duties but he won’t. It’ll be the same result next year.

I’ll give Harbaugh credit where it’s due. It took near a decade but he’s figured out ways to just totally out scheme teams. Michigan isn’t the most talented team in college football but they will sure make you pay if you can’t match their schemes. It’s not pretty sometimes but it works.

Hire Jimbo and give him $90 million guaranteed.

I’ll give Harbaugh credit where it’s due. It took near a decade but he’s figured out ways to just totally out scheme teams. Michigan isn’t the most talented team in college football but they will sure make you pay if you can’t match their schemes. It’s not pretty sometimes but it works.
Definitely not. Ohio State has way more individual talent, but Harbaugh and Michigan said, you may be more talented, but we are going to play together on the same page, we are going to be disciplined and we are going to play to our strengths.

In all honesty -- when Corum limped off, I thought the game was over. OSU sticking with the cover 0 with no Corum made no sense. It allowed Michigan to get momentum when they completed the pass to Johnson, where he made one guy miss and ran into the end zone. I'm glad OSU played the cover 0, but without Corum -- they could have dropped to a base defense and slowed us down.

Definitely not. Ohio State has way more individual talent, but Harbaugh and Michigan said, you may be more talented, but we are going to play together on the same page, we are going to be disciplined and we are going to play to our strengths.

In all honesty -- when Corum limped off, I thought the game was over. OSU sticking with the cover 0 with no Corum made no sense. It allowed Michigan to get momentum when they completed the pass to Johnson, where he made one guy miss and ran into the end zone. I'm glad OSU played the cover 0, but without Corum -- they could have dropped to a base defense and slowed us down.

I think if we were smart and just go base defense we probably limp to a win. Those first 2 long TD passes were both back breaking. I believe they both came on 3rd and longs?

I think if we were smart and just go base defense we probably limp to a win. Those first 2 long TD passes were both back breaking. I believe they both came on 3rd and longs?

First one was on 3rd and 9, 2nd one was on 1st down

First one was on 3rd and 9, 2nd one was on 1st down

We were up at the half but it might as well had been a 0-0 game. We had plenty of chances to stomp our foot down early but couldn’t get it done. Very similar to the Penn State game except Penn State just wasn’t competent enough to finish the job. Look great early but never able to plant a dagger

We were up at the half but it might as well had been a 0-0 game. We had plenty of chances to stomp our foot down early but couldn’t get it done. Very similar to the Penn State game except Penn State just wasn’t competent enough to finish the job. Look great early but never able to plant a dagger

I still can't believe how radically different the two halves went. We were very lucky to be within 3 points going into halftime. And then Michigan reversed the role.

feels like we've had a few games this year where the opponent hangs tough and then our RBs break off a couple of huge TD runs.

The first one was 3rd and 10. The 2nd one was on 1st down.

Coming into this game, OSU's weakness was its secondary. The problem was Michigan's passing game was its weakness offensively. McCarthy played big time today. Legend!

Classy statement

We were so focused on stopping the run we forgot to cover anyone. Clown show lol
In fairness that was my concern coming into today. Very one dimensional offense on Michigan's part. It was like they didn't trust McCarthy...thinking back to the MSU game. Then both RB's are banged up and one limps off after just a few carries? I was certain it was going to be an ugly day.

In fairness that was my concern coming into today. Very one dimensional offense on Michigan's part. It was like they didn't trust McCarthy...thinking back to the MSU game. Then both RB's are banged up and one limps off after just a few carries? I was certain it was going to be an ugly day.

I mean I still wouldn’t trust him. He was throwing to wide ass open guys…..still mind boggled we didn’t go into normal coverages and at least make him throw into some kind of resistance.

I mean I still wouldn’t trust him. He was throwing to wide ass open guys…..still mind boggled we didn’t go into normal coverages and at least make him throw into some kind of resistance.
He's young and will still make mistakes. Certainly not ready to build an offense around. But if someone would have made a side bet with me today on how Michigan would score and the option was on 2+ 65 yard passes? No way

I won’t say McCarthy got “lucky” but he just did what any QB should do. Hit wide open dudes down the field. Good for him for doing that but I wouldn’t call his game some lights out performance for the ages

He's young and will still make mistakes. Certainly not ready to build an offense around. But if someone would have made a side bet with me today on how Michigan would score and the option was on 2+ 65 yard passes? No way

I usually count on our secondary to give up at least a few awful arm punt pass huge gains per game. This wasn’t even that though. Those dudes had no one near them…..

Back