Twelve Kitchen Cabinets

And then we were finished! A very productive day. Good night all, see you soon!
View attachment 26634

All that hardwood flooring! Are you replacing the flooring or will you try to salvage and replace missing boards?

It looks like you guys made a lot of progress since I last visited this thread. Looking good....keep up the effort! hahaha

It may be a lot of work but if you enjoy it and are saving so much money doing it yourself it will all be worth it.

170591857_10159487616863120_9086182544448638851_n.jpg

And then we were finished! A very productive day. Good night all, see you soon!
View attachment 26634
My man!! This is looking good. Glad you got the help on tear down.

Remind me again....the cabinets around the sink will go in sans framing, or you will be building in new half frame?

I remember one of the goals was to open things up, but not sure how that’s being done.

nice work so far, man -
what are yer plans for the floor?

thats my next project -
got 800sqft of SPC flooring comin in next week -
ol lady is draggin her feet, tho
shes supposed to be
gettin the china hutch and bookcases packed up -
may have to do that myself this weekend -

cheers!
Hi @TechRaiderRider !The plans for the floor are to get it repaired, it's an insurance job because the fridge leaked unnoticed for days some time ago and so with the extra bit of sub floor that exposed by removing cabinets, well I think we might get a separate bill... I'm not sure though, the insurance thing is my hag's department. The floor repair looks like it will be holding things up unless they get on the ball.

So I never heard of SPC flooring until now, that sounds like some really good stuff! I imagine it could come in all different kinds of looks and styles. Let us know how it goes when you install it, maybe even show us a picture!

All that hardwood flooring! Are you replacing the flooring or will you try to salvage and replace missing boards?

It looks like you guys made a lot of progress since I last visited this thread. Looking good....keep up the effort! hahaha

It may be a lot of work but if you enjoy it and are saving so much money doing it yourself it will all be worth it.
Hey @Bayou Tiger ! Yep, we hope to salvage and repair what we can with the floor and thank you!

I really have been enjoying this project. Saving money is always good but you just can't put a price enjoyment and satisfaction. If ya could I'd be a billionaire!

My man!! This is looking good. Glad you got the help on tear down.

Remind me again....the cabinets around the sink will go in sans framing, or you will be building in new half frame?

I remember one of the goals was to open things up, but not sure how that’s being done.
Hey OE! I'm not exactly sure what you're asking... I built all the base cabinets the same way. The ones along the wall will all be painted white and the four base cabinets (+dishwasher) that will make up the island will be black. They are all full face framed solid cabinets. My gawd are they ever solid! I think they're a bit over built... Anyway I hope that made sense!

Man alive, I'm glad I bought 16 sheets back in October. I only have one full sheet left from that first batch and I still have two more cabinets to build. I have to build a range hood ASAP and I will be making a tall narrow cabinet to fit alongside and over the top of the new fridge that we don't have yet. That fridge cabinet can wait and coming up next is getting stone countertops. It's looking better and better that I will have the cash to pay up front for the counters so the only thing I will need to finance are the appliances.

Well, I got the temporary utility tub hooked up for a kitchen sink. Tomorrow I will set up an impromptu counter using two bar stools and an old section of the counters. Very convenient!

rub a tub.jpg

Hi @TechRaiderRider !The plans for the floor are to get it repaired, it's an insurance job because the fridge leaked unnoticed for days some time ago and so with the extra bit of sub floor that exposed by removing cabinets, well I think we might get a separate bill... I'm not sure though, the insurance thing is my hag's department. The floor repair looks like it will be holding things up unless they get on the ball.

So I never heard of SPC flooring until now, that sounds like some really good stuff! I imagine it could come in all different kinds of looks and styles. Let us know how it goes when you install it, maybe even show us a picture!
this will be my first experience with SPC/WPC -
what sold me was being waterproof
and weight rated at 3000psi -
plus the 10yr commercial-grade warranty -
the pad is already on the 9" planks -
just float it in, no adhesive -

this is the product i ordered:
20210410_205028.jpg

Last edited:
this will be my first experience with SPC/WPC -
what sold me was being waterproof
and weight rated at 3000psi -
plus the 10yr commercial-grade warranty -
the pad is already on the 9" planks -
just float it in, no adhesive -

this is the product i ordered:
View attachment 26685
The pad is already on the planks....

Episode 2 Showtime GIF by Shameless

Good morning, friends! So I got my countertop installed, so exciting! We're going for the 'white trash minimalist' look. I think I nailed it!

All done!.jpg

Okay then, me and my Guide Bear have things to do, nowhere to go, and when we get back we got more to do!
Until next time, peace and love, my friends!

Good morning, friends! So I got my countertop installed, so exciting! We're going for the 'white trash minimalist' look. I think I nailed it!

View attachment 26774

Okay then, me and my Guide Bear have things to do, nowhere to go, and when we get back we got more to do!
The sink and the wall treatment totally aligns with the white trash minimalist. The chair are a bit fancy. Maybe just say that they were picked out of someone’s trash and the look is complete :biggrin:

View attachment 26774

I like it... :thumb:

Good morning, Friends and fellow DIYers!
I need to move the plumbing for the sink about one foot forward and 18 inches to the right... It's only one drain and two supply lines. Plastic plumbing is a breeze to work with, it's comparable to 'arts and crafts', can I get an AMEN!?!

The problem though and it's a big one for me is that the work needs to be done from the basement ceiling. Man alive do I ever wish I had a wheelchair that could lift me 4 or five feet off the floor! There is no way in hell that I would hire a plumber, it would be at least $250. And there is also no way in hell that I will risk a nasty fall.

So I might make my hag do it and I could talk her through it. Another option is I could ask my he-hag bro in law to do it. But he talks WAY too much and asks WAY too many dumb ass questions. And when he talks, he stops working! That annoys the shit right out of me! If one can't talk and work at the same time, one needs to be quiet!

Anyway, I have three more cabinets to build, a range hood and a tall narrow box to go beside the new fridge and one to go across the top of the new fridge. Time to get busy!

Good morning, Friends and fellow DIYers!
I need to move the plumbing for the sink about one foot forward and 18 inches to the right... It's only one drain and two supply lines. Plastic plumbing is a breeze to work with, it's comparable to 'arts and crafts', can I get an AMEN!?!

The problem though and it's a big one for me is that the work needs to be done from the basement ceiling. Man alive do I ever wish I had a wheelchair that could lift me 4 or five feet off the floor! There is no way in hell that I would hire a plumber, it would be at least $250. And there is also no way in hell that I will risk a nasty fall.

So I might make my hag do it and I could talk her through it. Another option is I could ask my he-hag bro in law to do it. But he talks WAY too much and asks WAY too many dumb ass questions. And when he talks, he stops working! That annoys the shit right out of me! If one can't talk and work at the same time, one needs to be quiet!

Anyway, I have three more cabinets to build, a range hood and a tall narrow box to go beside the new fridge and one to go across the top of the new fridge. Time to get busy!
What about twin bro? Maybe that would be the best helper for the plumbing work?

What about twin bro? Maybe that would be the best helper for the plumbing work?
Pete (my bro) would probably never turn me down but he lives a 150 miles away and I also don't want to ask too much from him... save it for when I really need his help.

However, I think I came up with a solution that will save me a major headache. Cabinets have a toe kick that creates an unexposed dead space of about 3 or four inches between the bottom side of the cabinet floor and the top of the main floor! I can run the jog in the plumbing right on top of the main house floor, problemo solved!

It might be a code violation, I have no idea for sure but if it is in violation, none of it will be exposed! Hahaha!

There is one code that I won't violate though, and that is the width of the entry way from the foyer to the kitchen - living room area. The wall that I left remaining after the demo, I wanted to extend it 18" but that cramped the entry way down to about 33". So instead I'm only extending that wall 14" leaving about 37" for the entry way. That kind of code violation could and probably would cause problems if and when we sell the house.

I have one more piece of good news. We found and agreed to a floor guy to repair the floor. Nothing has been signed yet but it's a go!
On that note, me and the Guide Bear gotta go too! Things are happening!

Pete (my bro) would probably never turn me down but he lives a 150 miles away and I also don't want to ask too much from him... save it for when I really need his help.

However, I think I came up with a solution that will save me a major headache. Cabinets have a toe kick that creates an unexposed dead space of about 3 or four inches between the bottom side of the cabinet floor and the top of the main floor! I can run the jog in the plumbing right on top of the main house floor, problemo solved!

It might be a code violation, I have no idea for sure but if it is in violation, none of it will be exposed! Hahaha!

There is one code that I won't violate though, and that is the width of the entry way from the foyer to the kitchen - living room area. The wall that I left remaining after the demo, I wanted to extend it 18" but that cramped the entry way down to about 33". So instead I'm only extending that wall 14" leaving about 37" for the entry way. That kind of code violation could and probably would cause problems if and when we sell the house.

I have one more piece of good news. We found and agreed to a floor guy to repair the floor. Nothing has been signed yet but it's a go!
All good news!

Honestly, I dont think there any code violation there, as long as the drain pipe has 1/4" slope. You could always notch the cabinet sides to get it where you need it underneath. I would probably use expanding foam around any of the holes you need to make in the floor or cabinets.

Honestly, I dont think there any code violation there, as long as the drain pipe has 1/4" slope. You could always notch the cabinet sides to get it where you need it underneath. I would probably use expanding foam around any of the holes you need to make in the floor or cabinets.
All right! Thanks for that info, Pete.

This is what I'm doing this weekend. I will make and fasten on the face frames this afternoon and make the doors & drawer fronts tomorrow. The tall narrow cabinet is 6' tall, 12" wide and 24" deep. It will go beside the fridge and the over the top of the fridge will be a cabinet 48" wide, 24" tall and 24" deep. It will have four doors. The tall narrow will have two pull out drawers with shelves and open sides to be used as a pantry.

fridge cabinets.jpg
above fridge cabinet.jpg

I used all 16 sheets of my 3/4" plywood and this is the biggest scrap piece left! I'll show some new pics when I get these guys painted. And I still have to make that range hood!
last piece.jpg

Back