Twelve Kitchen Cabinets

I don't get the paint scheme. What gives? Why did you paint just the front that flat looking black....the sides, inside and bottom of drawers white and then left some of it natural wood?

Looks like a lot of work, hope it's worth it all in the end.
Before I explain it I want to say that this 'what gives' cracks me up! What gives, old bean?

Anyway, the island will be made up of four base cabinets and a dishwasher and the island cabinets will be that charcoal black color and all other cabinets are white.
sink base.jpgAnd when the cabinets are closed up which will be most of the time, you won't see all those contrasting shades you described. So there is a total of 20 drawers in my base cabinets and every one of them has a permanent white plastic liner on the bottom, that's not paint. And on 18 of them the out sides are painted white and the inside is the natural color coated with polyurethane. The two pull outs in the sink base, every picture I looked at online showed them natural color so that's why I did it that way. I guess it boils down to personal preference and in real life, I like the look! And there is no doubt it will be worth it in the end. I'm saving thousands of dollars by building my own... I bet my sink base if I were to buy it custom built just like I made it myself, I bet it would cost around a grand, that's my guess.

I know! If I had a helper that sure would speed things up. I tried having my Guide Bear help but he's all paws an claws and I had to repaint everything he touched! Anyway, I'm working most every day and things are coming together nicely.
I'm just surprised you can get down to the basement and back up in that wheelchair, with only a bear to assist you. Did you install a lift?

I'm just surprised you can get down to the basement and back up in that wheelchair, with only a bear to assist you. Did you install a lift?
Well let me start by telling you it's easy as pie to go down the stairs in a wheelchair... a real bitch gettin back up though!

But seriously, I just clumsy/freestyle it on the basement steps with a death grip on the hand railing. And I do have a lift to the second floor, again, compliments of the VA.
chair lift.jpg

I should probably wear a helmet when negotiating the basement stairs.
basement stairs.jpg
Speaking of helmets, I once had a helmeted lover! I met her in a dumpster behind the Goodwill. Neither one of us knew the other was in the dumpster until we bumped heads. It was BUMP at first sight! I was like, COOL HELMET! And she got all giggly and smiled so big! She said some things to me but I had no idea what she said. She has the cutest speech impediment!

Anyway, one bump led to another and that dumpster was rockin an rollin! And that's how I met my hag. So romantic!

But seriously, I just clumsy/freestyle it on the basement steps with a death grip on the hand railing. And I do have a lift to the second floor, again, compliments of the VA.
chair lift.jpg
Man, I want one of those...climbing these stairs at home is a real nuisance

This is what I got accomplished yesterday and it kicked my dick in the dirt! I was on my feet way too much installing these drawer fronts but I got it. This is where I sure could have used an extra pair of hands...drawer fronts installed.jpg

This is what I got accomplished yesterday and it kicked my dick in the dirt! I was on my feet way too much installing these drawer fronts but I got it. This is where I sure could have used an extra pair of hands...View attachment 26165
What kinda handles you installing on those? Or knobs maybe?

Here is a great example of why MDF (medium density fiberboard) should not be used in a sink base or anywhere where it might get wet. It soaks up water like a sponge and just one soaking will ruin MDF.

Water vs MDF.jpg

Well, it's finally going to happen today. After at least 3 false starts we are going to start removing the old cabinets (light duty demo) and remove the peninsula and a six foot section of wall (medium duty demo) in just a few hours! I think my brother will be here by early afternoon but until then I still have some work to do in the basement. I can't believe how fast time goes when I'm working.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of what we will be removing and I should have new pics this evening. I'm thinking we can have all the demo work finished by the end of the day tomorrow. If it goes into Saturday, my brother said he would stay as long as it takes.

peninsula to be removed.jpg
This is the 6' section of wall that will be removed, pictured below.
wall to be removed.jpg

Good luck on the demo efforts today!

Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of paint are you using on the cabinets, Parka?

This is the best thread on Hoopla.

Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of paint are you using on the cabinets, Parka?
Hi Mike, I'm glad you asked that question and nope, I haven't talked paint yet, other than color.

It used to be that enamel paint was oil based but oil based paints seem to be going the way of the mastodon and dodo bird! So my white paint, it is the real deal, this stuff is water based and tough as nails, it dries nice and hard. If you ever need to paint some furniture or doors that get a lot of action, anything that gets touched a lot, remember these two words: URETHANE ACRYLIC. It's the best paint I ever used.

I got a gallon of pure white from Amazon for $52, however, Benjamin Moore sells the exact same paint, same formula same manufacturer only with the BM name on it for $90 a gallon but they often have 40% off making it much more affordable. Plus, with Benjamin Moore you can get it in any color.

My black paint, I absolutely love the color called Satin Black, it's also acrylic based but it just doesn't seem as good to me as the INSL-X urethane acrylic. Maybe after it dries (cures) for a week or so it will harden up too. It was only $39 at Home Depot. I use a 4" foam roller to apply the paint and it gives a damn near perfect finish, almost as nice as a spray job.

Thanks again for the question, it's always a pleasure to talk about my project. Check out my sink base, my pride and joy!

Beautiful sink base.jpg

INSL-X Cabinet Coat and Behr Cabinet & Trim paint.jpgfoam roller.jpg

Hi Mike, I'm glad you asked that question and nope, I haven't talked paint yet, other than color.

It used to be that enamel paint was oil based but oil based paints seem to be going the way of the mastodon and dodo bird! So my white paint, it is the real deal, this stuff is water based and tough as nails, it dries nice and hard. If you ever need to paint some furniture or doors that get a lot of action, anything that gets touched a lot, remember these two words: URETHANE ACRYLIC. It's the best paint I ever used.

I got a gallon of pure white from Amazon for $52, however, Benjamin Moore sells the exact same paint, same formula same manufacturer only with the BM name on it for $90 a gallon but they often have 40% off making it much more affordable. Plus, with Benjamin Moore you can get it in any color.

My black paint, I absolutely love the color called Satin Black, it's also acrylic based but it just doesn't seem as good to me as the INSL-X urethane acrylic. Maybe after it dries (cures) for a week or so it will harden up too. It was only $39 at Home Depot. I use a 4" foam roller to apply the paint and it gives a damn near perfect finish, almost as nice as a spray job.

Thanks again for the question, it's always a pleasure to talk about my project. Check out my sink base, my pride and joy!

View attachment 26471

View attachment 26474View attachment 26475
Thanks, bro.

I've done a fair amount of painting, but it's been mostly exterior. I have refinished the doors in my house and simply used a semi-gloss latex to do the job. I also had a friend who did the same doing small-time commercial projects.

You learn pretty quickly that standard indoor latex is pretty soft and doesn't stand up well when it is applied to moving parts. I've thought about refinishing my cabinets and I want to be sure I have the right stuff. You've confirmed it for me.

I have an HVLP sprayer I could use for the job, however my cabinets are dated and worn, the drawer are in really bad shape. I'd hate to put all that effort in when they really need replacement and new counter tops.

Meanwhile, looks like you're doing a great job!