Twelve Kitchen Cabinets

The only thing I need Jesus for today is to take me to Home Depot! I don't care if it's on his his rickety ass donkey cart, just get me there! I din't do any work at all yesterday.

Anyway @jvett77 , MY NEEDS are NONE of YOUR CONCERN! :laugh:

I think @Sugarshell is mad at me for asking her to behave at my cabinet thread. It's okay Sugar! You can still be naughty on any other thread... if you really adore me like you say you do, then it should be easy as pie!

Could somebody please teach me how to post videos? Not just videos from youtube but videos I take with my phone. It's for my cabinet work! My sink base is going to be killer! With a bunch of moving parts and I want to show it off... It's not quite ready yet... only a few more days... every single cabinet is getting my full attention... no detail too small...

Moving parts on sink base:
a) Two doors, soft close hinges (hydraulic).
b) False front will be a tip out drawer with stainless steel shelf also featuring soft close hinges.
c) Two pull out drawers behind the doors. Also featuring self/soft close hydraulic assisted drawer slides.
1) I am having the time of my life on this project! I am SO FUCKING HAPPY!!!

Before I started this project in October I was having serious second thoughts about whether I could pull this off. I was seriously considering just going to Home Depot and buying a bunch of crappy sorta flimsy, yet very attractive Hampton Bay cabinets in the same style that I'm building. Those cheapo Hampton Bay Cabinets woulda cost me four times or more as much as these cabinets I'm building and the quality and features of the Hampton's would pale compared to mine.

I have not built cabinets before this project and before I started I drew up plans and measurements for the first 12 cabinets, six base and six wall units. I was meticulous with my plans and measurements and when I felt satisfied I drew up a cut list and I cut every single piece before I put a single box together. These are all the pre-cut pieces.
base cabinet pieces.jpgwall cabinet pieces.jpg

And then when I assembled the first box, I started with the most difficult one, the largest 36" base. It took me all day just to get the basic box put together because I had to learn new techniques... The very next day I put 3 smaller ones together in one day... Anyway, when that first box went together and it was perfectly square, I had a moment! I got goose bumps and stuff! Almost like a religious experience! @jvett77

Okay, I'm done :director::blah:

Before I started this project in October I was having serious second thoughts about whether I could pull this off. I was seriously considering just going to Home Depot and buying a bunch of crappy sorta flimsy, yet very attractive Hampton Bay cabinets in the same style that I'm building. Those cheapo Hampton Bay Cabinets woulda cost me four times or more as much as these cabinets I'm building and the quality and features of the Hampton's would pale compared to mine.

I have not built cabinets before this project and before I started I drew up plans and measurements for the first 12 cabinets, six base and six wall units. I was meticulous with my plans and measurements and when I felt satisfied I drew up a cut list and I cut every single piece before I put a single box together. These are all the pre-cut pieces.
View attachment 24967View attachment 24968

And then when I assembled the first box, I started with the most difficult one, the largest 36" base. It took me all day just to get the basic box put together because I had to learn new techniques... The very next day I put 3 smaller ones together in one day... Anyway, when that first box went together and it was perfectly square, I had a moment! I got goose bumps and stuff! Almost like a religious experience! @jvett77

Okay, I'm done :director::blah:
I’m finding my favorite part is pencil to paper and designing it out. The man child in me just wants to get down to it, but then I hear my grandfathers wisdom “I measured cut it three times and it’s still too short” and slow down and plan it out.

I’m also chuckling at the pre cutting. With wood work and steak it’s the same thing....I do all the cuts before anything else.

Same!

Same! I loved making all the drawn up plans. I think I would have really liked to have learned mechanical drawing.

Currently one of the courses I'm teaching my engineering students now. Well, the introduction was mechanical drawing by hand, prior to moving on to SolidWorks.

If you're interested in modeling your projects, there are plenty of free CAD programs available, such as Fusion, which is from AutoDesk.

Currently one of the courses I'm teaching my engineering students now. Well, the introduction was mechanical drawing by hand, prior to moving on to SolidWorks.

If you're interested in modeling your projects, there are plenty of free CAD programs available, such as Fusion, which is from AutoDesk.

Thank you! You're a good person, @Cobrabit !

Hey, I was thinking about you and @Gatorchip the other day about your beer making and I bought some hops seeds AND some hops root cuttings. So I'm gonna grow hops just because I like to grow things. If I was neighbors to you guys, I would offer you free hops!

Hey, I was thinking about you and @Gatorchip the other day about your beer making and I bought some hops seeds AND some hops root cuttings. So I'm gonna grow hops just because I like to grow things. If I was neighbors to you guys, I would offer you free hops!
That's awesome. My hop project failed... never got more than a couple feet.

You have more energy than me and I'm only 41.

Great tip!

Do you know if the fusion 360 app on Apple is useful? I went and signed up and remembered I can’t take downloads onto my work laptop anymore.

That's awesome. My hop project failed... never got more than a couple feet.
At first I thought it was just too warm in Fla to grow hops but I see your location as Mass. On your avi it sure looks like you got green thumbs! I'm a little concerned it might even be too warm in the Atlanta area to grow hops but I'll find out. I think they need a hard cold season, I'm not sure.

Great tip!

Do you know if the fusion 360 app on Apple is useful? I went and signed up and remembered I can’t take downloads onto my work laptop anymore.

I've honestly never worked with Fusion or Apple products. The advanced manufacturing program incorporates Fusion into their curriculum for the CNC machining and they like it because it's free. I have the educational version of SolidWorks for my engineering program that was provided years back, so I've only been working with it.

Wish I could provide more insight.

That would have been nice of you. What kind of hops?

That would have been nice of you. What kind of hops?
The cuttings are Newport and I don't know what kind the seeds are, it just says hops and then the Latin name... I'm not lovin the seeds. They need a cold treatment in damp sand in the fridge for 6 weeks... and then they are supposed to take 4 to 6 more weeks to sprout! Screw that, I might return the seeds.

Norka dropping knowledge.

The cuttings are Newport and I don't know what kind the seeds are, it just says hops and then the Latin name... I'm not lovin the seeds. They need a cold treatment in damp sand in the fridge for 6 weeks... and then they are supposed to take 4 to 6 more weeks to sprout! Screw that, I might return the seeds.

Since I prefer IPAs, I typically use hops with a lot of citrus and other fruit profiles, especially towards the end of the boil for the aroma. Newport is a decent bittering hop, but used more in the stout or barelywine brews from what I recall.

Growing hops aren't something I'd probably get into due to the work and not guaranteed success, especially with the little I brew now anyway. Just easier to buy them already in pellet form, but I can certainly see the appeal for those that do all-grain and whole flower hops.