Twelve Kitchen Cabinets

You went to Kenmore then? A few years ago the city tore down Garfield & Kenmore high schools. Guess a new H.S. will be built where Garfield was. And how you been?
No new high school was built Wamu. Its now Kenmore/Garfield HS, on 13th st. Long time no see!

You went to Kenmore then? A few years ago the city tore down Garfield & Kenmore high schools. Guess a new H.S. will be built where Garfield was. And how you been?
Kenmore was never torn down, its still there. Hows Boulder, still there?

There's something else I wanted to mention about this project to those that are interested. I'm a cripple. And I only have one good hand, my left hand and I was naturally right handed. I'm doing this work from a wheelchair and walker and I am KICKIN ITS ASS!!!
View attachment 22940

And guess what? I can handle a full sheet of 3/4" plywood by myself. When I bought the plywood in October I had 16 pieces stacked upright against the wall. I'm able to tip a sheet over so it's now lengthwise along the wall and then I put two small bar clamps about 30" apart centered on the sheet. Then I push my horse table about 2 feet away from the piece of plywood and lean the sheet against my horse table and I'm able to yank the full sheet up onto the horse table and then it's time to measure and cut! I am enjoying this project like nobodies business!
View attachment 22942
I did not know you could remodel my kitchen or I would have married you in the 70's. Wasnt a plus then. but at this time. thats a sexy as hell. My Pall, tile in my kitchen, carpet in the living room , and hall. Turn my enclosed front porch into an OSU room! Do me PN

I would say at least 1/3 of my workbench cabinet budget was the drawer slides. Due to the odd dimensions they had to be 26”. I bought exactly the same kind, except they don’t have the slow close, hydraulic bit. They really make the whole thing work well, especially since drawers as 22”x26” and have some weight in them now.

Not going to quote a second post on the drawer info you shared, but that was awesome! I did floating drawer bottoms....just because that’s where my mind went. I think it will be good as I didn’t finish the wood at all, and it’s a garage in Florida. It’s about to experience immense humidity. Hmmm....maybe I should go back and give everything a coating.

I wish I had thought to do rabbit joints. I just did butted joints with glue and a few tap nails. I’m sure these drawers are going to start coming apart on me....
If you ever noticed on many, especially older drawers with a floating bottom that the corner joints are typically dovetail and I think the reason for that is that even without glue a tight dovetail joint is very strong. A floating bottom does not add any structural strength to the drawer. But if you fasten and glue a thin piece of plywood on the bottom of a drawer it adds a boatload of structural strength and butt joints would be plenty sufficient. For your drawers, you could easily drill a few pilot holes and add some screws and forget about it! They might hold up just fine as it is...

I did not know you could remodel my kitchen or I would have married you in the 70's. Wasnt a plus then. but at this time. thats a sexy as hell. My Pall, tile in my kitchen, carpet in the living room , and hall. Turn my enclosed front porch into an OSU room! Do me PN
I'll do you in the kitchen, I'll do you in living room and the hall! And then I'll do you in the front porch and make you scream:director:more Woody (Hayes)!

No new high school was built Wamu. Its now Kenmore/Garfield HS, on 13th st. Long time no see!

Incorrect. The school hasn't been named yet. And the new school is being being built right now where Garfield was. My cousin works for Akron Public Schools. Got the info from him. And how you been?

Kenmore was never torn down, its still there. Hows Boulder, still there?

Well Kenmore H.S. should be torn down dammit! And Boulder's the same, it still sucks.

If you ever noticed on many, especially older drawers with a floating bottom that the corner joints are typically dovetail and I think the reason for that is that even without glue a tight dovetail joint is very strong. A floating bottom does not add any structural strength to the drawer. But if you fasten and glue a thin piece of plywood on the bottom of a drawer it adds a boatload of structural strength and butt joints would be plenty sufficient. For your drawers, you could easily drill a few pilot holes and add some screws and forget about it! They might hold up just fine as it is...
Good tips. I was thinking about this. I didn’t go with screws as the ones I have were too big. But the new project called for 1 1/2” #6 and they would be just the right size to add some strength to the drawer frames.

Funny thing, I planned to do pocket holes for all. But, I learned doing pocket holes on MDF (the cabinet) wasn’t going to work, so I abandoned them fully. Ha

I know you said walker too, but it has to be difficult. I have no excuses to not do the shit I need to do.
I'm probably not the best example for someone to get busy and I'll tell you why. I'm doing this work at my own pace and I sleep in as late as I like and I work as late or early as I like. When I was still working full time as I'm sure you are, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was more work! Unless it was something I was totally into but then that doesn't seem like work.

And I only use my walker to get from the bottom of my basement steps to my work bench. I do 90% of this work with my butt parked in a chair. I use my wheelchair in the garage. So Pete, I have a cool story about what got me motivated in the first place.

It was late last February little over a year ago and I hadn't been down in my basement for about three years because I didn't think I could handle the stairs. Well my wheelchair broke, the back was floppin loose because a piece broke off in the frame. With covid being the new thing the VA was practically shut down except for the most serious conditions, chemo, dialysis, that sort of thing so I couldn't just mosey in and get it fixed like in normal times. I was forced to fix it myself so I made it to the basement and fashioned some new parts junk yard style but it was totally effective. Then Just a few days later a foot rest broke off and I had to do another makeshift repair. Those two repairs took about a week with some trial and error and in that week I was up and down those stairs 40 or 50 times...

After that I messed around with all my other stuff in the basement for a month or two and that was when my mom/hag challenged me to build some patio furniture out of the extra fence posts collecting dust in the basement. After I nailed that project my hag/life partner/lover challenged me again to build cabinets and so here we are!

Anyway Petey, I hope your eye is all better.

I'm probably not the best example for someone to get busy and I'll tell you why. I'm doing this work at my own pace and I sleep in as late as I like and I work as late or early as I like. When I was still working full time as I'm sure you are, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was more work! Unless it was something I was totally into but then that doesn't seem like work.

And I only use my walker to get from the bottom of my basement steps to my work bench. I do 90% of this work with my butt parked in a chair. I use my wheelchair in the garage. So Pete, I have a cool story about what got me motivated in the first place.

It was late last February little over a year ago and I hadn't been down in my basement for about three years because I didn't think I could handle the stairs. Well my wheelchair broke, the back was floppin loose because a piece broke off in the frame. With covid being the new thing the VA was practically shut down except for the most serious conditions, chemo, dialysis, that sort of thing so I couldn't just mosey in and get it fixed like in normal times. I was forced to fix it myself so I made it to the basement and fashioned some new parts junk yard style but it was totally effective. Then Just a few days later a foot rest broke off and I had to do another makeshift repair. Those two repairs took about a week with some trial and error and in that week I was up and down those stairs 40 or 50 times...

After that I messed around with all my other stuff in the basement for a month or two and that was when my mom/hag challenged me to build some patio furniture out of the extra fence posts collecting dust in the basement. After I nailed that project my hag/life partner/lover challenged me again to build cabinets and so here we are!

Anyway Petey, I hope your eye is all better.
Oh, yeah, the eye is back to 100%, but I was a little nervous for a while. Not sure how I could sell being a one eyed inspector, but giving half off of everything would have killed my business.

Good on you for getting shit done. So many people would be happy to just play the victim, and rely on someone else, or just be a miserable prick about things. Keep grinding man.

I'm gonna talk a little bit about the sink base cabinet. Mine is a friggin disaster and I'm probably not alone in despising the disaster area beneath the sink. I have some excellent fixes in store when my new sink base is in operation.

old sink base.jpg
With a double sink and a garbage disposal that hasn't worked in five years and all that plumbing, it just makes for clustered mess.

calamity.jpg
The left side.

disaster area.jpg
And the right side.

My old sink base is 36" and my new sink base is one inch narrower at 35". The new sink base also won't have a center stile to get in the way. It will also be a large single bowl sink freeing up a lot of space by losing a lot of that tangled mess of plumbing. And we decided not to get a garbage disposal freeing up still more room. And it will have a tip out tray where the false front is and it will be sporting two drawers, how very exciting!:dhd: The drawers are already made but when I get the plumbing all configured I will cut a channel two or three inches wide in the drawers to accommodate the drain/plumbing. Here's a sneak peak at the new sink base.
new sink base.jpg

Kenmore always smelled funny.

:dhd:
This is why I stopped giving you the time of day on Fannation. Kenmore is my stomping ground. I get you hate Akron. Unlike you I didnt grow up across the street from the Main Street Saloon. Above a paint store. Now I'm putting you on ignore.

Well Kenmore H.S. should be torn down dammit! And Boulder's the same, it still sucks.
Last time I talked top you, Akron was a shit hole , and Boulder was Disneyland.

Incorrect. The school hasn't been named yet. And the new school is being being built right now where Garfield was. My cousin works for Akron Public Schools. Got the info from him. And how you been?
Im only in Akron, half the year at my moms house. Appears you know more about Akron than I do, huh?

This is why I stopped giving you the time of day on Fannation. Kenmore is my stomping ground. I get you hate Akron. Unlike you I didnt grow up across the street from the Main Street Saloon. Above a paint store. Now I'm putting you on ignore.

Last time I talked top you, Akron was a shit hole , and Boulder was Disneyland.

Im only in Akron, half the year at my moms house. Appears you know more about Akron than I do, huh?

tenor.gif