Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - 3 Osborne vs 6 Switzer

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whelp.....looks like Tom's gonna swamp Barry Switzer in this one. Probably has as much to do with hating OU as anything else because if that isn't the reason then I don't want to ever read another !@#$%^& post on here about how one team is better than another team because they beat them heads up. Winning games against other teams apparently isn't as important as the losing team's "entire body of work". :laugh3:
Uh...Entire resume has always been more important than heads up. That’s why Ohio State was still ranked ahead of Purdue that year Purdue beat them by 30. Take a non homer stance, please. I just wanna see if you’re capable of doing it.

Uh...Entire resume has always been more important than heads up. That’s why Ohio State was still ranked ahead of Purdue that year Purdue beat them by 30. Take a non homer stance, please. I just wanna see if you’re capable of doing it.
You're getting as tiresome as El Jexan with that "homerism" crap you pull every time you see someone's comments that you disagree with. Jeez. Barry buried Tom Osborne's ass head to head and it didn't have anything to do with one program being on probation or down or whatever the excuse du jour may be. Barry just flat out coached him. Period. If that doesn't make him a better coach then beating someone simply doesn't count in your book. You hate OU; we get it. But you're about as credible on anything to do with Oklahoma as I am on anything to do with Oregon. I have my prejudices too. We all do. But in this case it's pretty obvious that anytime Switzer and Osborne lined up against each other it was going to be Switzer getting carried off on the shoulders of his players. It happened 12 times out of 17 games. But Osborne was a better coach. Sheesh. :tsk:

You're getting as tiresome as El Jexan with that "homerism" crap you pull every time you see someone's comments that you disagree with. Jeez. Barry buried Tom Osborne's ass head to head and it didn't have anything to do with one program being on probation or down or whatever the excuse du jour may be. Barry just flat out coached him. Period. If that doesn't make him a better coach then beating someone simply doesn't count in your book. You hate OU; we get it. But you're about as credible on anything to do with Oklahoma as I am on anything to do with Oregon. I have my prejudices too. We all do. But in this case it's pretty obvious that anytime Switzer and Osborne lined up against each other it was going to be Switzer getting carried off on the shoulders of his players. It happened 12 times out of 17 games. But Osborne was a better coach. Sheesh. :tsk:

He's the new 4down20

There has never been an Oklahoma fan that has taken a non homer stance. The entire resume is more important than H2H, always has been, always will be. LOL @ the notion that I hate Oklahoma. I don't at all, but Oklahoma fans are the biggest blind homers in the world, and they need to get called on their shit. Notice that Switzer's only votes are from OU fans. It's pathetic really that fans of such a storied program can't envision a world where one of their coaches might not have been as good as another team's coaches, and then the more retarded OU fans try to bring up NFL success.

There has never been an Oklahoma fan that has taken a non homer stance. The entire resume is more important than H2H, always has been, always will be. LOL @ the notion that I hate Oklahoma. I don't at all, but Oklahoma fans are the biggest blind homers in the world, and they need to get called on their shit. Notice that Switzer's only votes are from OU fans. It's pathetic really that fans of such a storied program can't envision a world where one of their coaches might not have been as good as another team's coaches, and then the more retarded OU fans try to bring up NFL success.
Oooh. Getting a bit slippery there with your logic again. I'd never vote Bud Wilkinson or Barry Switzer the GOAT. So there goes your little theory out the window. But apparently I've watched a lot more football than you have and I've learned that winning trumps everything especially when I see it happen over 70% of the time. You keep talking about H2H doesn't mean anything. LMAO And which coach had the higher winning percentage in his entire career? Barry Switzer.

*comes in*

**sniff sniff**

Smells like whiny bitch in here.

*leaves*

Chewy hates everything Oklahoma. His blinders won't let him see past that.

**notice that OU fans are STILL only grasping at the H2H lmao.

I guess if it's all you got.

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Oooh. Getting a bit slippery there with your logic again. I'd never vote Bud Wilkinson or Barry Switzer the GOAT. So there goes your little theory out the window. But apparently I've watched a lot more football than you have and I've learned that winning trumps everything especially when I see it happen over 70% of the time. You keep talking about H2H doesn't mean anything. LMAO And which coach had the higher winning percentage in his entire career? Barry Switzer.
The fact that you even understand why Switzer is losing and blaming "Oklahoma haters" is laughable, and purely homeristic. Head to head matters, sure, but it doesn't trump overall resume, never has, never will, and coaches that own other coaches don't lose 3 in a row to said coach at any point.

The fact that you even understand why Switzer is losing and blaming "Oklahoma haters" is laughable, and purely homeristic. Head to head matters, sure, but it doesn't trump overall resume, never has, never will, and coaches that own other coaches don't lose 3 in a row to said coach at any point.

Dude, wanta talk about "losing streaks"? Switzer prevailed in eight of his first nine meetings with Osborne-coached Huskers teams. The only loss during that stretch occurred in 1978: 17-14 at Lincoln. Top-ranked and previously unbeaten OU lost six fumbles that day, including a Billy Sims fumble inside the Huskers’ 5-yard line with 3½ minutes left. That game was the first time since the 1971 Game of the Century that the Huskers even scored fourth-quarter points against Oklahoma. Then the Orange Bowl made them turn around and play again and who won the rematch? OU Don't talk to me about streaks.

Its hard to ignore that fact that Osborne didn't start winning shit until after the King was gone.
Sure, except that's just dumb. TO had a record of 147-34-2 during that time and had 6 conference titles during Switzers time at OU and still competed for multiple national titles during that time. Including the 1983 team that is deemed as one of the best to not win a title #RealMenGoFor2.

Speaking of great teams, ESPN released the 150 greatest teams of all time. Switzer and Osborne both have 4 each on the list...

average ranking of all teams for Switzer = 36
average ranking of all teams for Osborne = 19

50qlo7.gif

lol - when that H2H is all you got, I guess you will cling to it. I don't blame you OU fans. Both of us knew what would be said once this thread was made. We each made our case and it looks like TO is going to come out on top. :beer2: here's to hopefully one day rejoining together and renewing our storied rivalry, imo the greatest rivalry in college football.

Last edited:
The way Jerms asked the question lends itself to longevity, so I can see why Osborne is winning this.

Better Coaching Career = Osborne
Better Coach = Switzer

I don't think it's that hard of a thing really.

I guess we will just have to settle this on the field this year. :biggrin: