Is college football in danger of losing popularity

yeah, and i get that. again, its probably where i am from. i cant relate top not having something regional and pro to root for.
When I grew up, everyone was in love with the Braves and UGA. There’s a lot more Falcons fans now than there used to be when I was a kid

a pro team isnt a school tho.
I know that, obviously. The question was why would someone be a fan of a school that they didn't go to. I pointed out that people don't go to pro sports teams, yet are fans. The point is that people are fans of teams for all sorts of reasons - location, they went to the school, it was the first fame they ever watched, they like the uniforms, they like a player or two on the team. My son grew up a Dawg, became a traitor and went to Bama, but he is still a big Dawg fan. I am a lifelong Chiefs fan, but grew up in south Florida. Why? I watched a playoff game between them and my Dolphins in 1971 when I was 12. I liked the Chiefs uniforms. Been a fan ever since.

I know that, obviously. The question was why would someone be a fan of a school that they didn't go to. I pointed out that people don't go to pro sports teams, yet are fans. The point is that people are fans of teams for all sorts of reasons - location, they went to the school, it was the first fame they ever watched, they like the uniforms, they like a player or two on the team. My son grew up a Dawg, became a traitor and went to Bama, but he is still a big Dawg fan. I am a lifelong Chiefs fan, but grew up in south Florida. Why? I watched a playoff game between them and my Dolphins in 1971 when I was 12. I liked the Chiefs uniforms. Been a fan ever since.
college is different tho. its a school. its cheering for students. like i said, it must be a regional thing base don whats available. i just cant understand being a fan of a school i didnt attend.

i didnt say "ncaa sports"

i said "college football"

and im just trying to understand the logic of cheering for a school that you didnt attend. dont go pro sports on me. immaterial.

im just trying to understand how larry in oklahoma is a diehard sooner fan, if he dropped out in the 7th grade.

maybe a bad example.
Pro sports is the perfect example because you can't go to a pro sport. So, if you look at why people become fans of a team you can't actually go to, it helps explain why you might become a fan of a team of a college you didn't go to.

If we follow your argument to the logical extreme, the only people who could be a fan of a college team is an alum. That seems kind of illogical, doesn't it? My wife can't be a Dawg fan because she went to a college that doesn't have college football?

Pro sports is the perfect example because you can't go to a pro sport. So, if you look at why people become fans of a team you can't actually go to, it helps explain why you might become a fan of a team of a college you didn't go to.

If we follow your argument to the logical extreme, the only people who could be a fan of a college team is an alum. That seems kind of illogical, doesn't it?
not to me

college is different tho. its a school. its cheering for students. like i said, it must be a regional thing base don whats available. i just cant understand being a fan of a school i didnt attend.
you are as dumb as a rock.. college educated but still cannot understand this "phenomenon" of people being die hard fans of College teams playing sports we love to watch? Stick to intramurals, brother.

thats cool. some people eat bugs. fine by me.

i just never understood being a fan of say, duke basketball, if you didnt go to duke, or say, Nebraska football if you dropped out of the 8th grade.
I'm a fan of Duke basketball and I went to Vandy and UGA Law. Why? My son had brain surgery at Duke Medical Center, they saved his life, and I spent the better part of a month on the campus. I will pull for Duke anything for the rest of my life. You are locked into the idea that you have to attend a school to be fan ... no one else in the world thinks like that. Instead of thinking that we are weird for our position, you might want to dig into why you think they way you do, because you are the exception.

in theory its how it should work. i just always stuck with what i have here. boston or bust. local all the way. and im a fan of schools i went to or have ties to.
That's really ironic ... do you know how many Boston sports fans there are who have never, ever, lived in or near Boston? A ton. Why? They like Larry Bird, or Tommy boy, or the colors, or the fact they are winners.

you are as dumb as a rock.. college educated but still cannot understand this "phenomenon" of people being die hard fans of College teams playing sports we love to watch? Stick to intramurals, brother.
i played 3 years of D3 sports and tried my luck min the ECHL and got my ass kicked.

never played intramurals. i did have a teammate play for the falcons tho when I played football for a bit. i played with ethan brooks for a year. that dude was a monster.

I'm a fan of Duke basketball and I went to Vandy and UGA Law. Why? My son had brain surgery at Duke Medical Center, they saved his life, and I spent the better part of a month on the campus. I will pull for Duke anything for the rest of my life. You are locked into the idea that you have to attend a school to be fan ... no one else in the world thinks like that. Instead of thinking that we are weird for our position, you might want to dig into why you think they way you do, because you are the exception.
i only liked this for the first part.

i dont think you can make that "no one else in the world" statement. 98.5 up here has a very popular radio show, where this is a regular topic. i stole the oklahoma 8th grade dropout thing from them.

it may be on this clip, not sure

i played 3 years of D3 sports and tried my luck min the ECHL and got my ass kicked.

never played intramurals. i did have a teammate play for the falcons tho when I played football for a bit. i played with ethan brooks for a year. that dude was a monster.
ahhh that explains your disconnect with common sense.. Thought and Prayers, homeboy.

not to me
Ok, as you can see you are in a big time minority of one here ... everyone else doesn't see it the way your do. Might want to sit back and think through that a bit. Based on the way you think:

- Only alumni can pull for a college team, meaning my wife and kids can't.
- I can't like any pro team unless I am in their region ... by my beloved Chiefs who I have rooted for for 49 years.
- I can't like Bama because my son goes there.
- I can't like Duke because my son's life was saved at their medical center.
- I can't like any NFL, NBA or MLB team because we don't have those where I live.

Your rules obviously don't make sense.

i only liked this for the first part.

i dont think you can make that "no one else in the world" statement. 98.5 up here has a very popular radio show, where this is a regular topic. i stole the oklahoma 8th grade dropout thing from them.

it may be on this clip, not sure

Appreciate that.

Ok, as you can see you are in a big time minority of one here ... everyone else doesn't see it the way your do. Might want to sit back and think through that a bit. Based on the way you think:

- Only alumni can pull for a college team, meaning my wife and kids can't.
- I can't like any pro team unless I am in their region ... by my beloved Chiefs who I have rooted for for 49 years.
- I can't like Bama because my son goes there.
- I can't like Duke because my son's life was saved at their medical center.
- I can't like any NFL, NBA or MLB team because we don't have those where I live.

Your rules obviously don't make sense.
im only trying to understand it. i have friends who love uconn cuz they went there, same with umass, BC, etc. i dont think our college sports have the same following by non-grads/students.

im only trying to understand it. i have friends who love uconn cuz they went there, same with umass, BC, etc. i dont think our college sports have the same following by non-grads/students.
From what I’ve gathered, Notre Dame is among the most popular college football programs in New England. The lack of good history for the local football programs might be a reason why.

Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan has just as big of followings as any of the southern schools