Little shit

How about no headliner and just paint the thing.

1635693730589.png

Or just go the low budget easy route

1635693761368.png

That's a shame. I hate when shit like that happens and trust me, you are not alone!

IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE!

I bought a kit to repair the sunroof in my Ford Supercrew. The instructions were so confusing and the "drawings" included were indecipherable (and I'm used to looking at engineering drawings).

The sunroof is supposed to retract all the way back or it will tilt up instead of sliding back. To allow this you were suppose to put this little wheeled part on each side in the track a certain way for it to be able to do this. Unfortunately the instructions were so vague about the starting position of this wheeled thing on each side that I couldn't figure which way it went...it fit two different ways. :gaah:

Of course with a 50/50 chance of getting it right...I got it wrong. After buttoning up the sunroof components and replacing the head liner (a Supercab headliner mind you, all by myself too) and replacing all the plastic trim pieces I tried it again...this time though I tried the sunroof in all positions...but it would not tilt up like it's supposed to. That's when I realized the wheeled thing was put in the track the wrong way!

It still slides all the way open so I never took it all apart again to fix it, instead I just settled with it working the way it does. Too much work to take it all apart again.
I have been looking at some of those roof tops. Some of them are actually pretty affordable and seem like I could install one.

Something like this might be easier

They dont have the color I want. I already bought a another panel, going to fuck with it today. Might go look at some vinyl products to wrap it with this after noon. Bought panel for 25 bucks, already still have the front. I just dont want to do solid black, and the white they have is too dark.

20211104_161457.jpg20211104_161443.jpg20211104_161447.jpg20211104_161437.jpg

Shot a quick coat of paint on the metal inside upper portion of the cab today.
20211104_143529.jpg

Found some marine vinyl I liked.

that looks really good
how many times did you have to walk away from it and come back later

that looks really good
how many times did you have to walk away from it and come back later
I was juggling a bunch of stuff today.
I am surprised that I got it all done.

I basically started by spraying the panels and material with adhesive. Hard core shit, and it was a struggle. The shit dries really hard in a matter of minutes, so I left it all for about 15 min while I went in and degreased and sanded the interior cab metal.

Went back to the material and used a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe, and wrapped the material around it, backing side out. Once the adhesive dried, it doesn't stick to anything, and you have to reactivate it with the adhesive again. Once you touch the pre glued pieces together, with a fresh layer of adhesive, there is no going back. So lining up the roll is crucial, with the board, so you don't run off an edge.

I set the roll, on the edge, lined it up, and then along the side that was rolling across the board, I sprayed adhesive back and forth in front of the roll, and just kept moving across the panel, Then went back to the side I started on, and sprayed it and tacked it down. I didn't spray anything down under the roll, until I had it lined up perfect, so I had to go back to the starting edge and glue it, if that makes sense.

While all that shit dried, I went and masked off the cab. I am a big fan of using a adhesion promoter before paint. Its almost a clear coating that dissolves any residues, and almost burns existing paint enough to make it more adherent. Within 2 to 3 minutes of the promoter I just used heirloom white spray paint. and the matching manufacturers satin clear coat.

Once painting, I am a big fan of thin coats, but not dry spray coats. Keep a wet edge, and keep going. I started on one side, and by the time I got all the way around, I was ready for another coat. I hit it all about 4 or 5 times, and then twice with the clear. With spray paint, you want to do coats often, and with little time as possible in between. 10 to 15 minutes tops. it allows the paint to lay down better, and bond to the previous coat.

Then left it all sitting in the sun for a few hours with a couple fans blowing. It was dry enough to reassemble. I put everything back up, with some help this time, and just didnt really tighten everything down super tight. Going to let it sit for a couple days and go around and make sure everything is snug.

Looks great!
I never had much faith in rattle can. I had 2 pieces of plastic trim peeling off my silverado and faded from the sun. I took it to a body shop to ask how much to repaint and reattach. Kid says Well you should buy new trim. No I don't want to do that. Then he says Let me rip it off and look underneath, I said fuck no. He says it's warped you need new trim. How about we just take all the trim off and buff it out, I said thanks for your time see ya. Fucking idiot.

So I bought all the stuff to do it myself, spent about $100. Prep primer spray, color spray, clear coat. a few rolls of trim tape. Thought I might need a heat gun to straighten it out, didn't even need to do that.

Matches, looks good, body shop kid is an idiot.

Looks great!
I never had much faith in rattle can. I had 2 pieces of plastic trim peeling off my silverado and faded from the sun. I took it to a body shop to ask how much to repaint and reattach. Kid says Well you should buy new trim. No I don't want to do that. Then he says Let me rip it off and look underneath, I said fuck no. He says it's warped you need new trim. How about we just take all the trim off and buff it out, I said thanks for your time see ya. Fucking idiot.

So I bought all the stuff to do it myself, spent about $100. Prep primer spray, color spray, clear coat. a few rolls of trim tape. Thought I might need a heat gun to straighten it out, didn't even need to do that.

Matches, looks good, body shop kid is an idiot.
If it's warped, it may peel back over time.

If there is one thing I can say I am a pro at, it's painting. Doesn't matter what coating it is, I can do it. I have HVLP, gravity feed, and pressure pot set ups. Sometimes, a rattle can is best.

If it's warped, it may peel back over time.

If there is one thing I can say I am a pro at, it's painting. Doesn't matter what coating it is, I can do it. I have HVLP, gravity feed, and pressure pot set ups. Sometimes, a rattle can is best.
No, it's flexible as fuck. I wasn't digging out the pressure pot or cup gun for this small project, paint loss would be more than I'd use. I'd hate to even have to hunt for them the way all the tools got shuffled around after the tornado.

I was a spray painter in my youth. Dad was a painting contractor when I was a kid so I picked it up. He had moved on to another business when I dropped out of college but I still had the skill so I went to work doing it for 8-10 years before I got into the insulators. Sprayed 3 different huge turbine housings and 2 control boards at 2 different power plants. Those are the showplaces at those plants, they actually wax the turbine housings so you can see yourself in them. Cleaning the wax off was a bitch.

The chief engineer at New Madrid power plant asked me to paint his old bmw after I got done with the turbine. Didn't really have time and kind of put me in a bind, luckily he decided it would be a conflict of interest and told me we best not do it after he thought about it. Was afraid he might get fired.